How To enable SQL Server SNMP on Windows 2003

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

guarisma

How To enable SQL Server SNMP on Windows 2003

Post by guarisma »

Hi!!

I've just began working for this company who already have lot's of Windows 2003,SQL 2000 Servers and IIS with .NET support installed and working without SNMP. Now WE (the company) are haveing trouble trying to get performance information from the servers, so I began installing the SNMP service on all the servers and an a Linux server to get the SNMP traps ....But I can't get any info from SQL Server nor IIS...So... in my long Google search I read that if one installed SQL Server or IIS before installing SNMP service on the servers they (SQL and IIS) won't be configure to send SNMP info automaticlly, but I can't find any info on how to enable it afterwards, I guess that I have to look or set something in the Windows Registry but I don't know what....

Some one got a clue???

Thanx for any help...PLEASE!!!!
-- Trying to manage Windows from Linux Machines
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

I didn't think it was possible to monitor IIS or SQL server via native MS SNMP, which was why snmp informant was created. I've always been monitoring my IIS stats with a WMI script.
guarisma

Post by guarisma »

From: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... n_9z8i.asp
Enabling SNMP Support on SQL Server
Microsoft® SQL Server™ support of SNMP is enabled automatically if Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0 or Microsoft Windows® 2000 support of SNMP is installed on the computer when you run SQL Server Setup. If SNMP is not installed on the computer when you run the Setup program, SQL Server support of SNMP is not enabled.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Ah, well there you have it ;-).

I suppose re-installing SQL over itself is out of the question? If so, then you're going to be at the mercy of finding someone who will do a registry compare of their SNMP registry / files to find out whats missing.
guarisma

Post by guarisma »

I've found one or two things but without results :cry: