WeatherBug script & templates

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Alives
Cacti User

WeatherBug script & templates

Post by Alives »

THIS IS DEPRECATED. NEW THREAD IS HERE:
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=22691

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This script monitors 6 different weather variables off the aws weather site. This weather data has thenths of a degree etc and live updates. You must use a special code which can be found from this website: http://www.aws.com/aws_2001/asp/getLive ... .asp?msg=1

It is a standard perl html scraper script.

enjoy!

P.S. The results, as you can see, are very accurate. I have another post with AccuWeather scrapes here: http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=38861 which is not as accurate but does have 22 variables.

You need the LWP::Simple perl module installed
Attachments
wbug.png
wbug.png (30.92 KiB) Viewed 72745 times
cacti_host_template_weatherbug.xml
(37 KiB) Downloaded 4486 times
WeatherBug.pl.txt
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 4477 times
Last edited by Alives on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mvam
Cacti User

Post by mvam »

looks nice! where are you that its 106 deg? its only 60 here!
Alives
Cacti User

Post by Alives »

haha... i have it monitoring nyc (where i am), death valley (pictured) and alaska for testing... thats how i caught the wind chill/heat index problem... alaska has wind chill apparently, but death valley has heat index.

I wish weatherbug supplied as much info as accuweather, but im sticking with weatherbug as it has live updates...the graphs look a hell of alot better
hermatize
Cacti User

Post by hermatize »

Could someone explain in further detail on how to install this script in a cacti n00b and this is exactly what im looking for
ekgermann

Post by ekgermann »

Have you considered the WB module on CPAN. It gives access to all their variables.

http://search.cpan.org/~rosulek/Weather ... her/Bug.pm

I've collected about 1.5 years worth of data and it gives you access to just about variable.

One thing to consider on heat index/wc is how to handle a switchover, like here in the midwest where we have both, sometimes in the same week!

Eric
Alives
Cacti User

Post by Alives »

yeah i was originally using that module, but it wasnt giving windchill accurately and seemed to be slightly flawed.

This script pulls exactly what i wanted. im not saying its better. can you post pics of your graphs?

my script handles the switchover by just using that as a 'real feel' temperature. Its all bundled under the heat index title.
hermatize
Cacti User

Post by hermatize »

What do you guys meen when you refer to weather code i have all my graphs up butt no information is polling and the weatherbug device shows down........im a cacti noob i would greatly appreciate some feedback on if im installing this the right way or not. thanks in advance !!!!
hermatize
Cacti User

Post by hermatize »

What do you guys meen by special code could someone give me an example of what they used for input in this section.

Thanks So much in advance !!!!
hbokh

Post by hbokh »

hermatize wrote:What do you guys meen by special code could someone give me an example of what they used for input in this section.
You need a so called METAR-code.

Here you can find 3 lists in different formats (clear text, GZ and ZIP - scroll all the way down) --> http://weather.noaa.gov/tg/site.shtml
and search for a place nearby yours inside one of these lists.
As I live in Groningen, Netherlands, my METAR-code would be EHGG, you digg? HTH!
This is my sick nature...
seveny

Post by seveny »

I tried to import the template with 0.8.6e but get this:

Error: XML: Hash version does not exist.

--Sven
Pumpi
Cacti User

Post by Pumpi »

Alives,

where can I found the special code on http://www.aws.com/aws_2001/asp/getLive ... .asp?msg=1 ?

Pumpi
bendsley

Post by bendsley »

Do you add this as a host? If so, what kind?

I have the METAR code, no issue there.

Any directions on how to easily add this info?
seveny

XML error went away

Post by seveny »

after upgrading to the cacti-f version - sorry!
hbokh

Post by hbokh »

Can somebody confirm that this script can handle negative temperatures in Celsius? I'm using it with the added parameter "Units=1".
Running WeatherBug.pl for 3 days now, every now and then I see it's not getting any data, stopping at the zero-line; what if that same data is e.g. minus 10 degrees Celsius?
This is my sick nature...
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You need to modify the template to include a negative minimum value and then "tune" the RRD files. With the "rrdtool tune" function, you can change your existing RRF files MAX and MIN values.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?