get SNMP from another computer on LAN

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

phriday613

get SNMP from another computer on LAN

Post by phriday613 »

ok..

i have SNMP monitoring the network card bytes in/out in my cactibox/webserver.
i have another computer in the same LAN with SNMP properly configured.

2 questions:

1. should the second computer have a different community string, or the same one as the cacti/webserver?
cacti/webserver=public, new computer=community

2. how do i get cacti to monitor the network card in/out bytes using the "SNMP Interfaces"? is this even possible??

THanks!
sayasif

Post by sayasif »

should the second computer have a different community string, or the same one as the cacti/webserver?
cacti/webserver=public, new computer=community
You can change the community string in the snmpd.conf file under /etc/snmp .. by default it should be public . try giving command from your cacti server snmpwalk -c public "remoteserverip" to see if you can see the mib tree.
how do i get cacti to monitor the network card in/out bytes using the "SNMP Interfaces"? is this even possible??
This should be easy .. click on the SNMP interface menu link and then add the interface and fill the interface ip and community string. then view the gathered interface .. then click on make graph .. then add this graph through graph hireachy. thats it !

hope that helps
ACE
ONE MORE DAY WASTED !