Migrate MRTG to RRDTool

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

stevenrh

Migrate MRTG to RRDTool

Post by stevenrh »

Hello,

I would first like to say that Cacti is an excellent product, and was SUPER easy to install. Getting it running was a bit of work (outside the canned features), but with some googling, all is good.

My current issue is this, and if the info is here, please forgive me for not searching hard enough. We have been monitoring several devices for some time (months) with...MRTG. We have been polling with RRD/Cacti for a few days now, and would like to implement the product throughout. However, management would liek to see the data we've already retrieved.

Is there a way to push the data to an rrd format? I wasn't lead on the MRTG side, so I am not really familiar how it polls/stores/displays info..(so go easy on me:)).

Any Help Is Appreciated

Cheers
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

1) Use 'rrdtool info' to see what the data sources that are defined in the mrtg rra files.
2) Create a new data template in Cacti using the same names found in the mrtg rra file(s).
3) Create a graph template, once again using the same names you set up in the data template.
4) Create a data source, using the data template you created. Point it to the rra file(s) you want cacti to graph.
5) In graph management, create a graph for the data source(s) you just added.