Saving Graphs for Historical Purposes

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

bitgod

Saving Graphs for Historical Purposes

Post by bitgod »

What is the best method of saving old cacti graphs for historical purposes in an easily viewable format?

Our server that is currently housing Cacti is being upgraded and they have decided to completely rebuild the cacti database from scratch. Why? They are going with different methodologies of graphing bandwidth and errors on 150+ 48 port cisco switches and they want everything consistent. Sometimes I find its just better not to ask why... :-?

Anyhow, there are months and months of old cacti graphs that they still want posted for historical reference. What is the best way or displaying all these? Is there any good way to ndex all the old graphs or preserve the tree without having to keep the DB in place?

Thanks!
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Take a look at the export feature.. :)
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
bitgod

Post by bitgod »

Yea Ive used the export... In fact Ive been toying with that for a while now to try to get to what Im looking for. The best I can do is get an enormous dump of the graphs and no form of indexing to know what Im looking at. Like I mentioned this is for over 150+ switches, and the dump generates a html file for every interface of every switch.

MRTG had an indexing tool to sort out all their html files. Is there anything similar here that Im missing? Im digging through the documentation but I cant find any more details on fine tuning the output. Sorry if Ive missed something.

The folder I dumped my cacti graphs to has 6771 files! 1149 html files, thats a lot of manual indexing.. so I surely hope Im doing something wrong!
bitgod

Post by bitgod »

i was thinking about the number of interfaces im actually graphing and those numbers dont add up right.. but thats irrelevant right now. Just trying to figure out how to sort this out.
bitgod

Post by bitgod »

well this is nearly humorous now.. come to find it is still generating the export files. Wow.

Poor thing has been running at 90% utilization for over an hour now. My big brother instance is suffering and missing pings so i successfully paged nearly every admin on campus :)

there are currently over 20840 files and 3595 html files and no signs of stopping...

poor thing.

Cacti will be happy to meet its new Dell Xeon 1750 if it ever makes it through this export...
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Eeeepsss......

Well, you can backup and restore it else where to run the export. I agree, it's not indexed very well. But you can change that... :) Check out the code, make some changes, and let me know how it went.
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
bitgod

Post by bitgod »

well thanks for the feedback. Ill take a look at the code and see if I can throw something together if I find the time. Sorry for all the posts yesterday.. that was an interesting test.

grand total.. 34448 files generated with 5828 html files. I guess that comes out about right since some of the switches are 24 porters and the routers dont have as many interfaces.

Fun stuff..

*stares blankly at 35,000 numerically labeled files*
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Don't stare to long, you might go cross eyed... :P