new user with broken image graph

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

deanpence

new user with broken image graph

Post by deanpence »

My apologies ahead of time if this seems trivial. I'm new to the whole world of rrdtool, snmp, and cacti, and I'm having trouble getting my own custom graph to work. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions, but they're vague on occasion.

Basically, I've created a graph from the ground up, the graph image is broken, and there's no RRD file.

I started with a new Data Input Method of type "Script/Command". The script takes two input parameters, so the Input String is "/path/to/script <hostname> <metric>". I created two input fields ("hostname" and "metric") and have them in the correct order. The script outputs a single string, which is a float (memory in MB to 2 decimal places). I created that output field ("mb").

Then I created a new Data Template using that Data Input Method. The Data Source is active, I chose the correct (i.e., only) output field, and allow the actual Data Source to override the values of the input parameters.

Next I created a new Data Source. It uses the only Data Source template I created in the Data Template and specifies valid and tested values for both input fields.

Next I created a new Graph Template. I added a Graph Template Item that uses the correct Data Source (graphed as an area and using the LAST data value), kept the defaults on just about everything, and added a y-axis label ("mb").

Then I created a new Graph with the correct Graph Template and Host. However, the only option under "Data Source" I can choose is "None". I don't understand why this is, but I suppose it could be a symptom of the underlying problem.

After I added the graph to the graph tree, it just shows up (or actually doesn't in Firefox) as a broken image.

The rrd command it runs is:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=1108574031 \
--end=1108574030 \
--title="nypa051 - RMS Memory: Budget" \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
COMMENT:"From 2005/02/16 17:13:51 To 2005/02/16 17:13:50\c" \
COMMENT:"\n" \
--vertical-label="mb" \
AREA:#FF0000:""
Also, the rrd file does not appear in the rra directory.

I'm sure I've done something fundamentally wrong, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the whole process. Any clues?
deanpence

Post by deanpence »

I tried recreating every element of this graph from scratch again, and this time, I was able to choose the correct Data Source when adding the graph, but the rrd file is still never created (though poller is running, and the Data Input Method is "script/command"), and the graph is a broken image.