Please Help! High-bandwidth graph displays wrong data

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

43Percent

Please Help! High-bandwidth graph displays wrong data

Post by 43Percent »

Hi folks,

I've installed Cacti on Fedora RC3 and am very impressed with the programs ease of use and administration capabilities (Kudos Ian).

All of my graphs are working great except for one:

I am monitoring an OC-12 (622Mb/s) and when looking at the router, I know that I regularly exceed 400Mb/s at peak times.

However, my graph doesn't seem to be able to graph higher than 100ishMb/s. I have changed my Maximum Value field in the Data Sources column for In and Out to 652214272 (I assume this is in bits), but this doesn't seem to have provided me a resolution.

Can anyone supply me with some troubleshooting hints or is there something obvious that I am just not doing?

Thanks!
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Make sure you are using the 64-bit couters, if available.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
43Percent

Post by 43Percent »

Alright, I'll give that a shot. Would you mind explaining (briefly) what the 64-bit counters does instead of the in/out bits (non-64 bit counters) ?

Thanks!
duckhead
Cacti User

Post by duckhead »

Sure, the normal (32-bit) counters can count up to about 115 Mbps, then they roll over, and will roll over again for every multiple of 115 Mbps. The 64-bit counters won't roll over until we get much faster speeds than we can imagine.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Thank you duckhead. :)

This will be added the future documentation of cacti.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]