System log file is not available for writing after upgrade from 0.8.x to 1.2.x

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

reibuehl

System log file is not available for writing after upgrade from 0.8.x to 1.2.x

Post by reibuehl »

Hi all,

as part of an OS upgrade from Debian 9.x to 10.x, my Cacti DEB packages got upgraded from 0.8.x to 1.2.x. Since then, I can't access the web UI anymore. I only the the error message

Code: Select all

System log file is not available for writing, please enable write access Log: /usr/share/cacti/site/log/cacti.log

This is strange since my cacti.log always used to be in /var/log/cacti/ and this is also where for example the poller-error.log is still written.

How can I fix this?

Best regards,
Reiner
Osiris
Cacti Guru User

Re: System log file is not available for writing after upgrade from 0.8.x to 1.2.x

Post by Osiris »

The apache account must be able to write to the file. Also the cactid or Cron account must have write access too. It's that simple.
Before history, there was a paradise, now dust.
reibuehl

Re: System log file is not available for writing after upgrade from 0.8.x to 1.2.x

Post by reibuehl »

Osiris wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:22 pm The apache account must be able to write to the file. Also the cactid or Cron account must have write access too. It's that simple.
Thanks for pointing that out but why are web UI and poller expecting the logs suddenly under completely different locations. I would understand if both would complain, but the poller works fine with the old log directory where also the access rights for apache are set correct.
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

reibuehl wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:47 pmwhy are web UI and poller expecting the logs suddenly under completely different locations.
You installed from package, and the package maintainer decided to move where the log was stored. That's basically what it boils down to. Cacti itself has always defaulted to the log folder inside the app's directory. Package maintainers are given the option to move stuff around to fit their own ideology.