[solved] Migrate data to new server

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

GunnarPhilipp

[solved] Migrate data to new server

Post by GunnarPhilipp »

Hello.

I want to build a new 2012 windows CACTI server and migrate my CACTI data from an old 2008 server install.

i did find some migrating instructions, but they are for linux install (http://xmodulo.com/migrate-cacti-server.html). I assume the jist is the same for windows, but if somebody knows of a instruction set specific to windows - that would be great.

However, my question is really in a different area:

The reason for my upgrading to a newer server is that a in-place migration attempt from CACTI 0.8.8d to the newest version broke the installation ("This page cannot be displayed" kinda problem).

Rather than trying to fix it - i might as well just bring everything up-to-par.

So - can i build a new server, do a fresh CACTI install and then just copy/restore the mySQL data and the rrd files from the old 0.8.8d into the new 1.1.17?

Thanks for your advise and instruction sets (if you have some).
GunnarPhilipp

Re: Migrate data to new server

Post by GunnarPhilipp »

So I have build a new 2012r2 Windows Server, installed the new CACTI using the Windows install package with version 1.1.17, and used the migration technique specced in this site (http://xmodulo.com/migrate-cacti-server.html).

However, I don't see my devices, or the graph tree, etc.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.
GunnarPhilipp

Post by GunnarPhilipp »

so i installed the mySQL Workbench - come to find out that the restor of the CACTI DB failed - the tables are all empty

while i am trying to find the reason....

anyone have a clue already?
GunnarPhilipp

Post by GunnarPhilipp »

i got it working

so basic strategy as mentioned in the link above works, except:

the dump command for the mySQL CACTI database created a faulty sql file (at some point on the restore command it errors with mismatched column count)

the fix is to install mySQL Workbench and use the built in export and import option, i used the single file option. - that will create and import everything (i did check the 3 check boxes to include triggers, etc, and the create shema). i also dropped the existing database before the import which was created by the new cacti install.

once i started cacti, it recognized the old data and converted it to the new 1.1.17 version. On my end there were 2 conversion errors (i think it was on some snmp table), but everything was there (devices, graphs, etc) and fully functional.