Apache2 on Debian 9: Where is the real cacti?

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

GlueGuy
Cacti User

Apache2 on Debian 9: Where is the real cacti?

Post by GlueGuy »

We have been attempting to migrate from 0.8.8h to 1.1.13, and ran into some weirdness with the newer version of apache that's on Debian 9.

It appears when you first set up a web site under /var/www/html, that apache copies the entire subdirectory (cacti in this case) to a cache location (/usr/share/cacti/site).

So when we moved 0.8.8h to /var/www/html/cacti_old, and put 1.1.13 in /var/www/html/cacti, we were still accessing the old cacti in the cache location. I've been looking all over the place for how we remove the old cacti, and get apache2 to switch over to the new cacti.

Is there some online document somewhere that explains how to do this?
---------
The Glue Guy
GlueGuy
Cacti User

Re: Apache2 on Debian 9: Where is the real cacti?

Post by GlueGuy »

I almost have this working, but apache2 is doing things that I've never seen before.

Somehow, when I put all the 0.8.8h cacti files in /var/www/html/cacti, Apache2 on initial startup, copied the entire contents of that directory to /usr/share/cacti/site.

Then when you go through the migration from 0.8.8h to 1.1.13, apache2 will not use the "new" contents of /var/www/html/cacti, but instead uses the files in /usr/share/cacti/site. So when I opened <server>/cacti, I would still get 0.8.8h. Very confusing because all the files in /var/www/html/cacti were 1.1.13.

So the next time, I left all the 0.8.8h files in /var/www/html/cacti, and put all the 1.1.13 files in /var/www/html/cacti-1. Then I opened <server>/cacti-1, and I got the familiar conversion wizard. Hey! we're making progress!

After it completed the upgrade, I purged the 0.8.8h (/var/www/html/cacti) directory tree, and renamed /var/www/html/cacti-1 to /var/www/html/cacti. THEN I copy/updated the files from there to /usr/share/cacti/site.

Then I restarted apache2 and mysql, and attempted to open <server>/cacti. I seem to now be getting 1.1.13 cacti, but the console GUI is not coming up (see below).

Any suggestions?
Attachments
Console in 1.1.13
Console in 1.1.13
cacti_1.1.13_snip.PNG (22.29 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
---------
The Glue Guy
paulgevers
Cacti Pro User

Post by paulgevers »

GlueGuy wrote:We have been attempting to migrate from 0.8.8h to 1.1.13, and ran into some weirdness with the newer version of apache that's on Debian 9.
I think this is absolutely not related to Apache.
GlueGuy wrote:It appears when you first set up a web site under /var/www/html, that apache copies the entire subdirectory (cacti in this case) to a cache location (/usr/share/cacti/site).
Nope. This is the location where the Debian cacti package installs stuff. Please read the link in my signature.

I suggest you purge the Debian cacti package before trying to install cacti from the cacti site. Mixing those two is a bad idea.

I'll be providing an officially backported Debian package soon.

Paul
Maintainer of cacti in Debian (and Ubuntu).
Cacti 1.* is now officially supported on Debian Stretch via Debian backports
FAQ Ubuntu and Debian differences
Generic cacti debugging
GlueGuy
Cacti User

Post by GlueGuy »

paulgevers wrote:I think this is absolutely not related to Apache.
I believe you, but I will do more poking around.
paulgevers wrote:Nope. This is the location where the Debian cacti package installs stuff. Please read the link in my signature.

I suggest you purge the Debian cacti package before trying to install cacti from the cacti site. Mixing those two is a bad idea.

I'll be providing an officially backported Debian package soon.
Actually, we never installed the Debian cacti package. We installed it like we always had on CentOS. We copied an existiing 0.8.8h installation (from a CentOS 6 installation), then followed the standard upgrade path.

I'm admittedly a bit of a newb on Debian, but it doesn't appear radically "different".

What I ended up doing was editing the Apache2 "aliases", and changed the cacti location to /var/www/html/cacti. After I did this, things started behaving as expected.
---------
The Glue Guy
paulgevers
Cacti Pro User

Post by paulgevers »

GlueGuy wrote:What I ended up doing was editing the Apache2 "aliases", and changed the cacti location to /var/www/html/cacti. After I did this, things started behaving as expected.
So, did you copy that alias there yourself? If not, I believe it was installed by the Debian cacti package.

If you run

Code: Select all

apt remove cacti
what is the response? (Hit "no" to not actually change your system).
Maintainer of cacti in Debian (and Ubuntu).
Cacti 1.* is now officially supported on Debian Stretch via Debian backports
FAQ Ubuntu and Debian differences
Generic cacti debugging