[Abandoned] Syslog plugin - random hostnames

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

svancouw

[Abandoned] Syslog plugin - random hostnames

Post by svancouw »

I set up the Syslog plugin and after tweaking a few settings I got it working fairly well. The problem that I am so far unable to find a solution for is that my Windows servers are forwarding logs to my Cacti CentOS 6.5 server, and this seems to be causing several random hostnames to be added to the syslog database. One example is "37L4347D35-07". I even have some proper hostanames in the list that never would have sent logs to the linux server.

These random hostnames have no logs associated with them. Does anyone have any idea of where I could look for the cause? I can only think that logs have these items at the beginning of the log and Cacti is interpreting it as a hostname, but so far I am unable to find evidence of this. I am using the Windows application "Rsyslog Windows Agent" from rsyslog.com. I tried the Snare agent but I had some problems with it.

Thank you!

Sean
Last edited by svancouw on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxmiit

Re: Syslog plugin - random hostnames

Post by laxmiit »

Hi ,
This is Laxmi Plz help me for carreus reporting
laxmiit

Post by laxmiit »

Actually i m new in cacti0.8.8c plese guide me for syslog configuration .
svancouw

Post by svancouw »

Laxmiit, I am not unwilling to help but it would be best to open a new ticket for your issue. Once you do so feel free to link it here and I may be able to assist.

For anyone checking this for my issue I found the Syslog settings option Validate Hostnames. If that works well enough for me I'll follow up and mark this as resolved.
svancouw

Post by svancouw »

For any future readers I have resorted to manually removing entries from the Hosts table in the syslog database. This is not clean from the table perspective but it keeps the GUI clean.

If anyone drops me a note about a better method I'll be a happy man :)