SNMPv3 and Cisco IOS

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Swad

SNMPv3 and Cisco IOS

Post by Swad »

I am trying to use SNMPv3 to monitor a Cisco router that has an IOS verion which supports SNMPv3. The problem is I'm not proficient in configuring a cisco IOS, though I can do some stuff when I know what I'm doing. I though I had the router setup to use SNMPv3, but I only get SNMP errors out of Cacti when trying to connect. SNMPv1 seems to work fine, though. Can anyone enlighten me on what to do on the Cisco to allow Cacti to talk with it? This may be beyond the scope of this site, but I figure it can't be *too* much more than what it took to get regular SNMPv1 going.
egarnel
Cacti Pro User

Post by egarnel »

snmp v3 requires user authentication

from cisco.com

snmp-server user username [groupname remote ip-address [udp-port port] {v1 | v2c | v3 [encrypted] [auth {md5 | sha} auth-password [priv des56 priv password]] [access access-list]
Swad

Post by Swad »

Yeah I already tried using that as a guide before and still get nothing. I've generated a user and password, but i'm not 100% it's been done right (well, I know it hasn't given it still says SNMP error when doing v3). I also did setup the group that is necessary when setting up a user. I'm not confident I did either one right... I'm certain it's just one small detail I missed.
egarnel
Cacti Pro User

Post by egarnel »

can u snmpwalk it from the cmd line?
Swad

Post by Swad »

I did try an snmpwalk command, though I'm not sure if I'm doing something to properly simulate pulling SNMP v3 data, but yes, I did and got a metric tone of information on my screen.