Automatically refreshing router interfaces

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

iBROX

Automatically refreshing router interfaces

Post by iBROX »

Hi,

Just installed Cacti and slowly making the changeover from MRTG.

Very good so far.

Anyway, one question I have, picture this scenario :

Switch is installed with 22 ports active originally, say for example I activate the remainding two ports, is there anyway for Cacti to automatically recognise those 2 last ports and start graphing them automatically, rather than having to manually refresh the device configuration to pick up the 2 active ports ?

Same goes for a router with multiple interfaces.

We managed to do this with MRTG, each day it would automatically run a script which would automatically start graphing any new interfaces that have been activated.

Hope I make sense.

Thanks
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

iBROX,

Unfortunately, we have no built in feature for this at present. If you would like such a feature, please post in the Features forum.

Thanks,

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
egarnel
Cacti Pro User

type of switch

Post by egarnel »

I ran into this same issue with my old cisco 2924 switches. The graphs would not get created for ports that are inactive. A while back we upgraded all of our edge switches to Cisco 2950s. Cacti will create an empty graph for the inactive ports and automatically update the graphs with any data whenever the ports get used. I know this is not a fix, but perhaps provides some insight.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

True enough.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?