DOCSIS Cable Modem Add-On v0.50 BETA

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

JoeNetwork

DOCSIS Cable Modem Add-On v0.50 BETA

Post by JoeNetwork »

DOCSIS Cable Modem Add-On for Cacti
===================================

by JoeNetwork (joe@engops.net)

ChangeLog

v0.50 - September 20, 2004

Initial BETA release, provides graphing for basic DOCSIS RF performance SNMP OIDs:

- Downstream Power
- Downstream SNR
- Upstream Power
- T3 Timeouts
- T4 Timeouts
- Lost SYNCs
- Interface Resets

Introduction

Part of the difficulty with DOCSIS CM OIDs is that, unless it's in the DOCSIS CM Event Log, you have no idea when errors actually occurred. Using cacti, especially with the graph zoom feature, you can now tell exactly when they came in and look for trends.

This is intended to be used as a reactive tool for areas in which you want to monitor specific (but not ALL) of your cable modems, i.e. an area in which you might be trying to troubleshoot an intermittent problem with the cable plant.

Requirements

o A working cacti v0.8.6 *RELEASE* installation.
o DOCSIS Cable Modem device(s) to test on.

Installation

Simple. Select "Import Templates" under "Import/Export" within your cacti console.

First, import all Data Templates, followed by the Graph Templates. You'll probably want to do Host Template last. You can import by browsing to a local file on your web client, or by pasting the content of each XML file into the box -- either way should work.

You should now have "DOCSIS Cable Modem" as a selectable device type when you add a new device. The DOCSIS graphs should be selected by default. If you want to also graph interface bandwidth, select that also. Then click "Create Graphs for This Host" and place checkmarks by
the values that you would like graphed, and choose Create.

After one or two polling intervals, you should be in business, just like with any other graph.

ToDo

Things I would like to do, but don't have the know-how or resources to do just yet:

- DOCSIS CMTS templates -- it's coming, but will require a Data Query. Don't expect the modem table though. This will likely be used for graphing the DS/US ports, and Upstream SNRs.

- Have Downstream Power start at -30dBmV instead of 0, so the graph always forms from the bottom.

- Figure out a way to make the Downstream SNR a line over the top of the Downstream Power graph, and perhaps rename it to "Downstream Signal". Some math calculations will need to be done to determine where the noise floor lies.

- A way to display Codeword values from the DOCSIS MIB. I'm hoping to have a single graph perhaps display the total Codewords with Unerroreds, Correcteds, and Uncorrectables displayed as overlays or stacks -- problem is, I am not yet familiar enough with RRDs/GPRINTs/CDEFs to do it.

- An automatic way to import device descriptions/IP addresses, based on CSV or tabular input.

- EuroDOCSIS. Not sure if it uses the same MIBs, and if things are measured the same way.

- PacketCable MTA support. I don't have all the necessary test gear yet. :(

Screenshot:

Attachments
cacti-docsisCM-0.50.zip
Cacti DOCSIS Cable Modem Add-On

v0.50 *BETA*
(158.26 KiB) Downloaded 3425 times
sumsum
Cacti User

Post by sumsum »

good work ! really good idea monitoring a cable modem.
the problem only is, how to know the SNMP Community name of the modem. i dont believe my ISP will tell me the name ;)
JoeNetwork

Post by JoeNetwork »

And the IP address, for that matter. hehe

This was mainly designed for the System/Network Admin types at the other side of the equation, but some modems have an internal 192.168.100.1 IP address. You could try that with a community string of "public", and that might work -- but doubtful if your ISP has any clue about security, heh. :o
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

I'm already sorta doing the same thing, except all I've done is made 4 generic SNMP OID templates. Then have a graphing template pull them all together.
Attachments
daily.png
daily.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 35502 times
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

Very interesting !

I think we are a few doing this work... :)
I've done some things for our CMTS, a Cisco 7246. The trafic and the SNR values. But, I did'nt save any templates. I will work on this...

But now, ther is some templates for the Dosis modems graphing. Now, i'm looking to detect when a modem is not SYNC... maybe I'll find my answer in this plugin, thanks ! Hope we can put somthing great together.
Attachments
cacti_graph_template_modem_signaux.xml
The modem signals, SNR, RX Power, TX Power. There is a horizontal line with the maximum limit of the TX signal.
(20.25 KiB) Downloaded 1394 times
cacti_graph_template_modem_trafic.xml
The modem upload and download trafic.
(16.18 KiB) Downloaded 1503 times
Tiago Coimbra
Gruyère Energie
JoeNetwork

Post by JoeNetwork »

BSOD2600 wrote:I'm already sorta doing the same thing, except all I've done is made 4 generic SNMP OID templates. Then have a graphing template pull them all together.
hmm, interesting. Only reason I made mine bar graphs is because I'm too much of a newbie to know CDEFs and RRD worth a salt at the moment. ;)

I'm not sure if I like return level on the same graph as forward level... what if you have a return level of 55dBmV and a forward level of -10, will it scale appropriately? heh it's definitely more concise to have everything on fewer graphs. probably wouldn't work with T3 Timeouts/T4 Timeouts though; I've seen cases where there's thousands of one but 0 of the other.

One thing I wanted to do was make a line graph that is downstream signal level, then have another item in the graph [like the background] be (downstream signal level (minus) downstram SNR) to ilustrate where the noise floor is.

Are you finding Microreflections to be worth graphing at all? i.e. do they ever change post-installation? I've noticed a huge variance in the microreflections between modems and never really found that reading to be worth anything in my troubleshooting -- have you?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Well since my numbers are all positive and relatively close, I decided to graph them all in one. I'm not too worried about the scaling.

The microreflections really don't change a whole bunch (as you can see from my graphs). I only recently started to graph the levels on my Cisco UBR924. Its interesting how the levels differ from the Webstar modem... wonder if its a reflection on the quality of the modem (all the catv lines in and to the house are new and are RG6).
Attachments
webstar_daily.png
webstar_daily.png (5.78 KiB) Viewed 35467 times
cisco_daily.png
cisco_daily.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 35466 times
webstar_yearly.png
webstar_yearly.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 35467 times
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

Nice graphs !

I got quiet the same. Like BSOD2600, I think that to have all in a graph is better. You don't have to scroll through a lot a graphs befor finding what you want to check.

For the CMTS, I will show you the graph I've done for the upstreams SNR monitoring.

BSOD2600, can you tell me the oid for the micro-reflections ? I thing that it is a good thing to monitor that. I want to do the same :)

For this:
One thing I wanted to do was make a line graph that is downstream signal level, then have another item in the graph [like the background] be (downstream signal level (minus) downstram SNR) to ilustrate where the noise floor is.
Try to make a CDEF, somthing like

Code: Select all

CDEF=Datasource1,Datasource2,-
Attachments
The modem trafic
The modem trafic
modem-signaux.png (10.08 KiB) Viewed 35458 times
The ubr7246 SNR upstreams monitoring
The ubr7246 SNR upstreams monitoring
ubr7246-allupstreams.png (29.2 KiB) Viewed 35461 times
The modem signals: Upstream, Downstream and SNR. And soon maybe, the micro-reflections  ;)
The modem signals: Upstream, Downstream and SNR. And soon maybe, the micro-reflections ;)
modem-signaux.png (10.08 KiB) Viewed 35461 times
Tiago Coimbra
Gruyère Energie
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Scipio wrote:BSOD2600, can you tell me the oid for the micro-reflections ? I thing that it is a good thing to monitor that. I want to do the same :)
Walk .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.6

For us, besides graphing T3/T4 timeouts, is there anything else useful that could be graphed thats related to a cable modem?
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

mmm.. Don't know, but here is the complete list of all the parameters that we monitor on a cable modem:

t3 timeouts .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.2.2.1.12.2
t4 timeouts .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.2.2.1.13.2
lost sync .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.2.2.1.5.2
int reset .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.2.2.1.4.2
micro ref .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.6.3
TX .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.2.2.1.3.2
RX .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.1.1.6.3
SNR .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.5.3
uptime .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0
outOctets .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.4
inOctets .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.3
ethernetinerrors .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.1
ethernetindiscard .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.13.1
usbinerrors .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.5
usbindiscard .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.13.5

:)

i'll put a zip with the templates later, when they're ok
(question: if I export the cable modem host template, will cacti put the templates related with this one in one xml file ?)
Tiago Coimbra
Gruyère Energie
speed

Post by speed »

I'm also interested in being able to poll SNR on a uBR7246 as seen in the above post from Scipio. If you can share your xml on that it would be appreciated!

speed
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

Hi speed !

Well, here is a zip with some templates. :)
Attachments
UBR7246_templates_1.zip
UBR7246 templates
graph template for all snr, graph template for all upstreams and data template for snr
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 4001 times
Tiago Coimbra
Gruyère Energie
speed

Post by speed »

Thanks for posting that... It looks good and I've tried it out but I'm unable to poll SNR. I'm getting this error in the logs: WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result: and the graphs all show nan and no graphs.

I tried this on several uBR's and all are doing the same thing. Other polled SNMP items work fine. Any hints/tips on this?

Thanks...........speed
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

mmm... don't know.. It's working well over here.

The oid is the same... print a debug log in the post
Tiago Coimbra
Gruyère Energie
speed

Post by speed »

Ok just logged in... And thanks for your input... I'm pretty new to Cacti but can see this being pretty useful.

I put this OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.5.6 in under data sources yesterday and it's been graphing Cable3/0 Upstream 0 since then without errors. Funny thing is the graph shows all 6 upstreams and all 6 are this same upstream but there's no errors in the log. I would prefer to have something show all 4 cable blades with a total of 24 upstreams ports being polled. I saw your example that has it separated by cable blade and that would work as well, but I just can't get it to give me anything unless I put in the specifc OID for that upstream port.

If I use the default OID of .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.5 I get this error in the logs: 10/19/2004 04:40:54 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[6] WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result: No Such Instance cur (it obviously cuts off at that last character)

Graph Debug shows OK

Is there any other logs or info I should be looking at to help with this one?

Thanks!