Editing graph templates, Screws up active graphs?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

hednod

Editing graph templates, Screws up active graphs?

Post by hednod »

When editing a graph template that is being used be several graphs (lets say one of the interface traffic graphs templates) I notice that all graphs using that template are suddenly broken, I have to go into each graph and re-assign the data sources because for some reason they all end up using the same data source.

normaly if this kind of error occurs I assume I made a change that required reconfiguring the Graph Item Inputs but not in this case. I have observed this bug even when my changes did NOT screw up the Graph Item Inputs and no further editing of the graph template is required to fix the problem. I simply have to re-edit ALL existing graphs using the template in question and re-assign the data sources as they were before the edit.

Anyone else expiriace this? its' really pissing me off. I did not encounter it in 0.8.4.

Running 0.8.5a btw.
dma_k

Re: Editing graph templates, Screws up active graphs?

Post by dma_k »

I think I observe similar behaviour. I see this for v0.8.8h, but I have noticed such strange things years before. Unfortunately I don't have reliable steps to reproduce.

In my case I have one graph template used by one actual graph, so I believe the problem does not depend on how many graphs use particular template.

Today, for example, I have done the following:

Console → Graph Management → (click on "TCP Connections" graph to edit) → Edit Graph Template → (click on item #5 [whatever] to edit) → changed "Graph Item Type" from LINE1 to LINE2.

That's it! I just changed line type. Nothing special. After that graph data sources got reshuffled, better to say that association between items and sources is messed up. The problem comes from "Graph Item Inputs" in Graph Template which I believe, affects "Graph Item Fields" in Graph Management.

I have attached screenshot of how it was:
graph_1.png
graph_1.png (107.95 KiB) Viewed 812 times
and what had happened:
graph_2.png
graph_2.png (74.94 KiB) Viewed 812 times
I have a feeling that the bug perhaps is connected to moving graph items up and down...
Osiris
Cacti Guru User

Post by Osiris »

Cacti 1.x has a way for you to alter a template, and then after alteration, the ability to 'Sync Graphs' to the new template. So long as you don't change the number or names of the data sources, it should work perfectly.
Before history, there was a paradise, now dust.
mitzone

Post by mitzone »

So if I change the number of DSs in a graph template my only option is to delete the graph and re-apply the graph template to all devices? That would be a bummer (200+ devices using that graph).
If you have any magic idea please let me know :).