Increasing ping timeouts and the pitfalls

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Diskbox

Increasing ping timeouts and the pitfalls

Post by Diskbox »

Hi all,

After much digging around I'm yet to find a definitive answer to this question. If I increase the ping times from the default 400ms to something like 24000 i.e. 24 seconds is this going to have a huge impact on my system?

The reason I think I'm going to have to make such a huge increase is that a few of my servers though on 2mb links seem not to respond in time to pings.

Currently running Ubuntu 10.4 and cacti version 0.8.7e.

Any help or advise would be great right now.

Diskbox
kosta

Post by kosta »

From my understanding, this will increase the time it may take for cacti to finish its polling.

For example if you have many hosts (say 1000) and all of them are set to 24 seconds, If they all reach said time limit, you can soon hit your 5 minute polling interval without finishing all of data gathering.

What I usually do is only adjust the few hosts that I see constantly taking 5 seconds or more to respond to pings or SNMP and adjust those manually, not globally.

Hope this helps

kosta
Diskbox

Post by Diskbox »

ok thanks Kosta. I've been doing that as and when new servers decide not to respond in time week after week.

Guess I'll continue doing this and monitor how long it takes to finish the poll run.