what is the best way to record connection down time

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

rootfive

what is the best way to record connection down time

Post by rootfive »

Hi,

I have a few private lease line and main internet connection. From time to time ISP lost connection to internet. I want to take record of service interruption record. Can it be done with Cacti and if so how can I do it? Any guidance will be great help.

Regards,
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Do you have a script that changes it's (numerical) output in case the connection is up/down?
R.
rootfive

Post by rootfive »

Thanks gandalf for your taking time to reply. I can monitor the interface on router. But the connection lost happened at up stream in ISP network. I can make ping graph to the ip at up stream. With Cacti, record will be lost after a few months because down time is only 1 or 2 minutes. Should I try Nagios for this type of job?

Regards,
R5
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Well, if it's just one line, you could write a script in inittab that runs in an everlasting loop that records to the cacti log any time the link changes state. If you write it in Cacti log style format.

Then you can parse this using an independent (localhost) type of graph template that simply tails the log file and echo's 0 (aka down) 1 (aka up). Then rrdtool can give you the average. In other words, if the average for the month is 0.99999 (that's 99.999% availability/reachability. This can easily be translated to minutes of downtime.

If you were going to do it for 1000 interfaces, then, I would write a plugin.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

rootfive wrote:With Cacti, record will be lost after a few months because down time is only 1 or 2 minutes. Should I try Nagios for this type of job?
That only happens when using default settings. You may increase the RRA size. See 2nd link of my sig, rrdtool section, to find a script that does this
R.