Mikrotik WISP.- Cacti/THE DUDE How to monitor Signal Level

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

wiyat

Post by wiyat »

Dear
All

I have deployed on my network Mikrotik RB411, RB333.- We use different schema CPE RB411 or AP RB411.

I work in the NOC centre and we finding some application that can permit to monitoring and management on real-time the Mikrotik connection on this way I have installed Ubuntu Server with Cacti version 0.8.7d to do this.

I request to all Cacti user that help me with this, I’m from Spain and maybe you the possibility to help me with the following:

Mikrotik 3.30 or Mikrotik 4.x OS version
Cacti 0.8.7d

Template

CPE: Clients Antenna
A. Frequency
Graphics the following: Tx/Rx Signal Strength, Noise Floor, Signal to Noise, Tx/Rx CCQ, Overall Tx CCQ

B. Bandwidth
Graphics the following: Eth1, Eth2, Wlan1
C. Protocol
Graphics the following: Skype, P2P, browsing 80, youtube, etc

D. VoIP
Graphics the following: Any graphics that you can give any commentaries

AP: Point to Multipoint Antennas
E. Frequency
Graphics the following: Noise Floor, Overall Tx CCQ, Registered client

F. Bandwidth
Graphics the following: Eth1, Eth2, Wlan1

I don’t know to much about the Cacti but we need to configure the alert message over cacti exist any plugging that permit do it this, I mind to send all aler to our email or maybe to our mobile phone.

Please can you help me with this please.- I write you from spain please send me back your comments my email is marco at telplay.net
Last edited by wiyat on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

You alreday gave the Mikrotik Templates to be found at "Scripts and Templates" a go? What are your findings, then?
R.
Jason.S

Post by Jason.S »

We monitor a lot of mikrotiks on our network. Most are 2.9 to 3.30. Just be warned. the MT template does eat up a lot of CPU on your cacti box.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Jason.S wrote:We monitor a lot of mikrotiks on our network. Most are 2.9 to 3.30. Just be warned. the MT template does eat up a lot of CPU on your cacti box.
Any chance to dig into the code (it surely is a script) and make it better?
R.
Jason.S

Post by Jason.S »

It is, I have not had the time to do so. I need to fix it up and re-publish the template.
wiyat

Signal Level value not get by template

Post by wiyat »

Dear
Cacti User

I have complete installed my cacti and monitoring our Mikrotik RB411 equipment at the moment I download from Mikrotik cactic template to monitoring but at the moment only I have one important graphics to see: TX Signal Strength.- If you observe on my main post I declare that the NOC Area when we need take any decision we need to see the historical graphics on that case:

TX/RX Signal Strength [on this case only I have TX]
Noise floor / Signal to Noise / TX/RX CCQ % and Overall TX CCQ

Why? The last monday I receive a call from my client where he report that he has problem with his internet speed [very slow].-

Troubleshooting:
A.- Firstly I check the graphics of our ISP latency and is ok
B.- I observe the TX Signal graphics over the client and its ok.

If you observe only I have two value to identify where is the problem but I not take into my consideration the following value because I can graphics

TX/RX CCQ [this value show as the antenna parameters and we take in
consideration the reception problem, potency etc ]
signal to noise: [This value permit to know corrupting over the signa]

P Throughput [this value permit to know the bandwidth that we will be
use, normally this comes in Kbps]

Traffic rate over the PPPoE Interface or Traffic, Wlan1 or Eth0

What is my summary at the end:

If you know the TX/RX CCQ, Signal to noise and P Throughput you can determinate where is your problem.

My answer to my client was, if you look my way of the solution was wrong why? because I not have any tools that permit identify where is the problem.

Please send me back your comments and please give em any template that permit graphics the value:

TX/RX CCQ, Signal to noise, P throughput, Traffic rate of Wlan1, pppoe, eth0 and remember my Mikrotik version its 3.24/3.30/4.0/4.5

Please help me with this.

best regards,

Mark

[/img]
Attachments
If u observe the TX/RX CCQ, Signal to noise, signal strength, overall CCQ, this is the graphics that I need
If u observe the TX/RX CCQ, Signal to noise, signal strength, overall CCQ, this is the graphics that I need
signal.tif (6.57 KiB) Viewed 10256 times
On this graphics you can see the P throughput this value I need to graphics
On this graphics you can see the P throughput this value I need to graphics
signal2.tif (15.17 KiB) Viewed 10256 times
If you observe the traffic rate value on Wlan1, PPPoE, Ether1, I need another graphics to this
If you observe the traffic rate value on Wlan1, PPPoE, Ether1, I need another graphics to this
interface.tif (12.77 KiB) Viewed 10256 times
wiyat

Post by wiyat »

Dear
CACTI / Mikrotik user

I have one month reading information that exist on this THE Mikrotik/Forums and others forums on the network finding the information
that permit to monitoring some parameters on our RB333/RB411 Remember we are a Mikrotik WISP.

1.Alignment: Currently we use the parameters Signal Strength and TX
Signal Strength to determinate when the antenna lost the alignment
between the other side when this happen we need that CACTI
generate any alert {sound, mail, popup}.- If you know how I can
configure this alert in CACTI or maybe you know how I can to graphs
on CACTI please let me know.

2.Signal to Noise: To determinate the noise; We find the process or
functions to programme into CACTI to know when the signal
down or up of it normal value and generate any alert {sound, email,
popup}. - if you know how I can configure this alert on CACTI please let me know

3.P-Throughput: We have experiences with this parameters that when exist any interference with the P-Throughput value that this going down its bandwidth and after the interference time the P-Throughput going back to
normal. - Others experience is when the antenna lost its alignment or
maybe some tree. - We need setup on CACTI any threshold
that permit know when the value change to up/down and send any alert
{sound, email, popup}.- if you know how I can configure this alert on THE
CACTI please let me know.

Summary:

We work on the NOC area and some time we don’t know when happen any situation abnormal, for this reason we need programme the CACTI to generate this alert that permit know when thing happen.- I write again I read on CACTI forum and not exist any information about this that permit read and apply.- I attach the picture where you can see the value that I speak.

Please send me back any commentaries
Attachments
signal3.jpg
signal3.jpg (138.49 KiB) Viewed 10090 times