php script server timeout

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

toe_cutter
Cacti User

php script server timeout

Post by toe_cutter »

Hi all,

Im creating this new thread since the old one i was using(/hijacking) seems to have some other problem than mine, similar maybe.

Im getting Script Server timeouts :/ Im running TheWitness' edited debug-script_server.php (its in SVN), but not getting any output. Running mysql -e "show processlist" prints out some sleeping NULL processes, but i cant say im too worried about them (TheWitness' shell-script for listing slow queries didnt print out anything (just blinking commands occasionally)).

Using this:

Code: Select all

*Cacti+spine 0.8.7e(both patched), PA 2.5(the working one), weathermap 0.96a, realtime 0.4, aggregate 0.71, spikekill 1.0, boost 2.5-1(on a 3GB ramdisk).
*Apache/2.2.13 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.8k DAV/2 PHP/5.2.11 with Suhosin-Patch
*FreeBSD cacti.sr.se 8.0-RC2 FreeBSD 8.0-RC2 #0: Tue Oct 27 09:34:47 CET 2009     user@host:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
* rrdtool --version 
RRDtool 1.3.8 
* php --version 
PHP 5.2.11 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.7 (cli) (built: Nov  2 2009 09:58:40) (patched because of broken sockets)
* mysql --version 
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.86, for portbld-freebsd8.0 (amd64) using  5.2 
8core AMD Opteron
16GB RAM (1x3GB-ramdisk for MySQL database)
1x300GB RAID5 for all files

Oh yeah, not only getting the warning, sometimes these others too:

Code: Select all

10/08/2009 03:08:00 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] ERROR: SS[0] An invalid file descriptor was given in one of the sets.  
10/08/2009 03:08:00 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] ERROR: Spine Timed Out While Processing Hosts Internal  
10/08/2009 03:07:30 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] WARNING: SS[0] The PHP Script Server did not respond in time and will therefore be restarted
The Edited script_server.php was running while that was printed.

I ran cacti in DEBUG-logging (output is attached), but the only link i found was that the script we mostly use (Eric Halls Cisco CPU usage script) that was being run in the script-server returned a "U" or "0", all other results where numerical and non-false. I quickly checked his script, but with my limited PHP-skills i couldnt see anything unusual.
Attachments
debug.log.txt
(11.2 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

This looks like the script server has crashed for some reason. The right thing to do here would be to restart the script server.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
toe_cutter
Cacti User

Post by toe_cutter »

TheWitness wrote:This looks like the script server has crashed for some reason. The right thing to do here would be to restart the script server.

TheWitness
Yeah, cacti restarts it, but i cant find a reason for this. I used your php.c from the sasifras-thread (linked in first post) to find the script that did this, but as you know from there it didnt print anything.

I have to update some ports on the machine next week, but everything is pretty new on it, freebsd8 and all.

Anyway... im keeping track on sasifras' thread too, i think that whatever fixes his cacti would help/fix mine.

Either that or go debian, and be lynched by all the *bsd-mongers at work :P
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I'm doing a pretty rigid QA of a new spine version this weekend to support multiple host threads. So, maybe I figure something out. My peer review pool is pretty light (not too many colleagues). I'll run some test cases though, just to test things.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
toe_cutter
Cacti User

Post by toe_cutter »

Alright, thanks :)
If you want, i can try the new spine out on the machine at work next week: 8cores, a ridiculous amount of ram and other fun :)

Send me a PM if so
Jason.S

Post by Jason.S »

I see this problem a lot on my server as well. I look forward to this new spine version.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Jason,

Can you PM me log excerpts that contain this. I would need all the details around the errors.

I am working on this today.

TheWitness

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Toe_cutter,

To you too. I'll be looking you up shortly.

TheWitness