Cacti and Groundworks Monitor CE 5.3 - no Graphs

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

turlockaviator

Cacti and Groundworks Monitor CE 5.3 - no Graphs

Post by turlockaviator »

After much hate and discontent (and the need to recompile PHP to support sockets), I followed the following forum thread over at the Groundworks Community Support Forums and managed to get Cacti running on the same host as GWMCE 5.3:
http://www.groundworkopensource.com/com ... =23&t=1317

Unfortunately, I'm still having problems with Cacti in that I'm not getting any graphs. Here is the information I posted over at the Groundworks forums...hoping perhaps some of the Cacti Guru's here might be able to help me out. Thanks in advance. All of you who contribute here are so valuable in my opinion.
I spent many hours going through the trials and tribulations to make this work, particularly with recompiling PHP. Everything seems to be work, BUT I'm not getting any graphs. I see RRD files in /usr/local/groundwork/rrd, and it appears the poller is working. But just no graphs. In /usr/local/groundwork/apache2/htdocs/cacti/rra/ there is nothing but a .placeholder file

There is also a /usr/local/groundwork/apache2/htdocs/rrd path that doesn't contain anything.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll probably try and run this by the folks in the Cacti forums as well.

I am using GWMCE 5.3 and Cacti 0.87.d. I did set the paths to use the tools in the Groundworks paths (i.e. /usr/local/groundwork/common/bin/snmpwalk, etc.). I'm using the rrdtool that was installed with GWMCE 5.3, although it appears I also have rrdtool installed in /usr/bin

I went in and changed ownership of all the directories related to cacti (i.e. /usr/local/groundwork/apache2/htdocs/cacti/) to the nagios user
This didn't seem to correct the problem.

I'm also not getting anything in the cacti.log file.

All of this is running on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10.

Update:
Problem seems to be PHP and/or MySQL related.

When I run the poller manually
php /usr/local/groundwork/apache2/htdocs/cacti/poller.ph

The following is returned at the bottom of the output:

/usr/local/groundwork/apache2/htdocs/cacti/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php
Missing file: /usr/local/groundwork/apache2/htdocs/cacti/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php
<p>ADONewConnection: Unable to load database driver ''</p>
Fatal error: Call to a member function PConnect() on a non-object in /usr/local/groundwork/apache2/htdocs/cacti/lib/database.php on line 43

I checked and the file in question is not missing.

Looking forward to any help that can be afforded. Thanks in advance.

Chris
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Wrong forum. Check with the Groundworks folks.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

FYI,

The patch Cacti to work with GWMCE, we have no clue what these patches are.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
aaronsegura

Post by aaronsegura »

I've "integrated" cacti and groundwork. It was pretty straightforward...but, then again, I installed cacti on a separate host and just used the groundwork wrappit utility to add it to the groundwork interface. The only snag came with modifying guava to use SSO across multiple systems. If you decide to go that route I can provide you with instructions. Just contact me over on the groundwork forums.

Isn't it required by the GPL that if they modify cacti and release it that they have to release the patches as well?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... stedPublic

Also, just to clarify something...They don't patch cacti to work with GWM Community Edition at all. They only provide Cacti integration to their GWM Professional clients AFAIK.
turlockaviator

Patching and checking with the GW folks

Post by turlockaviator »

To clarify, I'm not looking to integrate the two. Just get them to coexist on the same box, taking advantage of any commonality (i.e. Cacti using the RRDTOOL already installed gy GWMCE). Groundworks, in their latest release of the Community Edition of the product, literally bundles everything...Apache, MySQL, PHP, rrdtool, etc. And most of it gets installed in non-standard locations. I had to recompile the latest version of PHP using all of the options that Groundworks did, but add the sockets option since Cacti apparently requires this to install.

My problems right now are uniquely Cacti related. I've posted to the Groundworks Forums as well an I'm hoping someone might have a solution.

On the GW Professional product...we're looking at that. But times are tough, and we're in local Government...so there just isn't a budget at this point for these sorts of things. When the situation gets better, I'll certainly be looking at a more comprehensive, vendor supported solution.

Thanks,
Chris
netdiva

GroundWork Free Support

Post by netdiva »

I'm a little late to chime in, but for the record, GroundWork offers a free support ticket to Community Edition users. So if you get stuck, open a ticket. Not enough users take advantage of it. They try to get back to you within a business day, but it's usually sooner.

The form is here: http://www.gwos.com/services/support/co ... pport.html