Cacti Server Hardware

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Frothingdog

Cacti Server Hardware

Post by Frothingdog »

What is everyone running hardware wise for their Cacti boxes?

We are looking to replace are exsisting Cacti box. We are graphing about 800 devices with a total off about 2700 graphs. Any suggestions?
drewshin99

Post by drewshin99 »

There are several existing threads related to boost and the other one for spine i think that show other people's setups, you can look through these.

as for me, we just set up a 1600 device, 5000 data source setup with a intel xeon 3.2ghz (four processors), 4gb of ram, 72 gb scsi drives in raid 1, windows server 2003 (i would like *nix as im sure it uses less resources, but our internal IT only supports windows) and it is running fine so far. also using the boost plugin which has been a great help.

Time:71.2017 Method:spine Processes:16 Threads:25 Hosts:1499 HostsPerProcess:94 DataSources:4997 RRDsProcessed:0

i did have to bump up proceses to 16 even though it is recommended to only have this up to 2 x processors, but i found it was the only way i could prevent 'internal net-snmp errors' i was getting and timeout issues.

all devices are cisco routers and im monitoring cpu, ping latency, and interface utilization.