What is the Maximum Number of hosts/Devices Cacti Can Absorb

Anything that you think should be in Cacti.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Skysmart
Cacti User

What is the Maximum Number of hosts/Devices Cacti Can Absorb

Post by Skysmart »

anyone?

how many hosts is too much for cacti?

I have almost 1000 devices in cacti. i will be adding lots more.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

It's usually not an issue of hosts, but data sources.

I have seen systems with 10K hosts and 500K+ data sources.

I would strongly suggest using Boost 2.0 with the Plugin Arch if you decide to proceed, otherwise, you will probably need to throw more hardware at it.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

rony wrote:It's usually not an issue of hosts, but data sources.
... and of latency, usage of scripts/snmp, poller interval (for SURE) and more.
IMHO you may consider some 10,000 data source as a no-brainer
Above 100,000 data sources it will become tricky, but doable. Never heard of 1,000,000. Just a rule of thumb.
Reinhard
tuux1598g

Post by tuux1598g »

gandalf wrote:IMHO you may consider some 10,000 data source as a no-brainer Above 100,000 data sources it will become tricky, but doable. Never heard of 1,000,000. Just a rule of thumb.
Reinhard
I agree that 100,000 data sources should be doable - however this will depend on hardware really. We are currently up at 91867 data sources using fairly modest hardware with a pretty major rewrite of boost (it was falling over after around 80k data sources with a straight install as a rough guide), and I can foresee this server managing up to 120k - 150k data sources (maybe with a bit more RAM):

1.8Ghz quad-core
8Gb RAM
10k rpm disks
dononeil
Cacti User

Post by dononeil »

We discovered our limits were about 120,000 data sources on dual dual-core Xeon 3 Ghz machines w/ 8G of ram... The number of data sources really is determined by your hardware. Most of the time issues are in the MySQL interaction, so moving some key tables into RAM (such as boost_poller) can make a huge impact.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

There are some users who have approximately 400k data sources. I know personally, that Cacti can scale to over 10k hosts. However, there are aspects of the UI that suffer at that level. These things are being corrected, for the most part, with 0.8.8.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

What table holds the data sources to do a quick count, poller_item ?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

If you look at the poller_item table, you essentially have the count.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Thank you!