Successful Windows to Linux Cacti migration

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

nebj00la
Cacti User

Successful Windows to Linux Cacti migration

Post by nebj00la »

After completing a full Cacti migration from Windows to Linux, I thought it would be best to share my experience with the Cacti community.

First, I would like to mention the threads which assisted in the migration:

http://forums.cacti.net/about16359.html - Scripts to export Windows RRD's to XML, then import back into RRD compatible with Linux

One thing to note with this step is storage. Be sure you are running the script from a location which has plenty of free space, since the rrd to xml conversion makes the files much larger.

http://forums.cacti.net/post-103679.html - Contains information regarding the location of the rrd_path table.

Unfortunately, I haven't found an easy way to update the rrd_path table entries once they have been migrated from the Windows platform. The issue is the path contains something like "C:\Inetpub\cacti\rra", which is obviously not a valid path in Linux.

The way I was able to solve this, I will admit it's an ugly way, is with the following steps:

1. Run a sql query, which shows the tables containing invalid paths.

Code: Select all

connect cacti
select * from poller_item where rrd_path like '%netp%';
The previous example assumes you are running IIS, and the cacti root folder is within the C:\Inetpub folder. You can adjust the query accordingly.

2. Add a new data source to the host_id's which are returned from the query. Once you add a new data source, I have found the rrd_path is updated for all existing data sources of that host.

Before adding all of the required data sources for my installation, I had around 8000 entries containing the invalid path. After following the previous steps, I got to the point where the sql query returned 0 rows.

At this point, all of your data sources should have valid paths, and you should begin to see rrdtool update's take effect in your graphs.

I hope this helps someone in the future. Contact me with any questions or concerns regarding the steps listed. Special thanks to cpt_ahab and warnesj for their comments in the aforementioned threads.

Thanks,
nebj00la
Crescens

Post by Crescens »

AFAIR you can solve the problem with invalid paths if you rebuild the poller cache. That helped me after the transfer to windows.