Upgrade help

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

xbertz

Upgrade help

Post by xbertz »

I am migrating to a new cacti machine and having some issues. I have setup the new environment with the prereqs for cacti. Then followed the instructions for upgrading cacti ... moved the database, ran the config page, and so on. I am check the system and it looks fine, cacti interface is there the plugins and graphs are there. I can add and modify things.

What is not working is the graphs are not updating. It seems the issue is with the poller or how it is being run. I have set poller.php to run every 5 mins in crontab. When I run it manually it seems none of the rra files are updating.

I'm not sure where to go from here. See below for the cacti specs that I am running. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Cacti Version - 0.8.6j
Plugin Architecture - 1.1
Poller Type - CMD.php
Server Info - Linux 2.6.15-26-server
Web Server - Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2
PHP - 5.1.2
PHP Extensions - xmlwriter, libxml, xml, wddx, tokenizer, sysvshm, sysvsem, sysvmsg, standard, SimpleXML, sockets, soap, SPL, shmop, session, Reflection, posix, mime_magic, mbstring, iconv, hash, gettext, ftp, filepro, exif, dom, dba, date, ctype, calendar, bz2, bcmath, zlib, pcre, openssl, xmlreader, apache2handler, mysql, mysqli
MySQL - 5.0.22-Debian_0ubuntu6.06.3-log
RRDTool - 1.2.23
SNMP - 5.2.1.2
Plugins
  • PHP Network Weathermap (weathermap - v0.82)
    Thresholds (thold - v0.3.0)
    Device Monitoring (monitor - v0.7)
    Network Tools (tools - v0.2)
    Syslog Monitoring (haloe - v0.4)
    RRD Cleaner (rrdclean - v1.1)
    Update Checker (update - v0.3)
    FlowView (flowview - v0.3)
    Host Info (hostinfo - v0.1)
    Error Images (errorimage - v0.1)
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

You say you moved machines. Is the path to the rra's exactly the same as the old machine? Did you just copy the rrds files over, or are you starting over? Have you checked permissions on the rra directory and all files within?
xbertz

Post by xbertz »

The path is slightly different. on the CentOS (original machine) the path to cacti is located in /var/www/html/cacti/ and the new machine (ubuntu 6.06 lamp server) the path is /var/www/cacti/ . I have made the changes to the ./include/config.php. I have copied the database from the old machine and, ran the upgrade and then copied the rra directory to the new machine. The files in the rra directory have these permissions : -rw-r--r-- by root the only difference from the original system is the owner. On the first system the owner is apache ... that may make a difference. I have now changed the permission to www-data on the new system and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Another thing to note is that when poller.php is run there is no output, the rrd files are not updated and I'm not finding anything relevent in the log files under ./log/cacti.log .

Other idea's?

Thanks in advance for your help!
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

2 things.

First and most importantly, if you just copied the files from the old rra to the new, then more than likely they are not going to work. You need to export the data to xml (search the forums!) and then re-import them on the new machines.

Secondly, try doing a Clear Poller Cache, and also look in the cacti database at the table "poller_item", specifically at the rra_path and make sure they correctly point to the new folder.