Template and script for a ESensor Websensor EM01

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

sylvaing

Template and script for a ESensor Websensor EM01

Post by sylvaing »

I've been using Nagios to monitor temperature threshold in our comm rooms and I've just finished creating Cacti templates and a perl script for anyone interested.

Simply put the scripts in your ./scripts directory and import the templates. Enjoy.
Attachments
em01_cacti.zip
(8.59 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
AcquaCow

Re: Template and script for a ESensor Websensor EM01

Post by AcquaCow »

sylvaing wrote:I've been using Nagios to monitor temperature threshold in our comm rooms and I've just finished creating Cacti templates and a perl script for anyone interested.

Simply put the scripts in your ./scripts directory and import the templates. Enjoy.
OMG, love you.

Especially if I can get this to work!

Thanks!

-- Dave
mboeschen.willmar

Post by mboeschen.willmar »

I have successfully imported the templates, but I seem unable to get any data from the graphs. I have run the perl script from the command line and I get all the information back. I have also changed the <path_cacti> to the actual path for troubleshooting.

The host displays as down (because of no SNMP info), and the graphs do not generate.

Any thoughts?
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

I also managed to successfully import the templates and I got the check_em01.pl file to work properly and return data.

I believe that something needs to generate the .rra files, which are eventually graphed, but that is not happening.

Are there any other script files that we need?

Can you de-install yours and put together a quick install guide?

Thanks,

-- Dave
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

This may also be an answer:

http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=9581

I'm gonna go try it.

-- Dave
mboeschen.willmar

I also noticed that setting, but it appears not to work with the UDP ping. I am attempting to figure out how to get the ICMP ping to work.
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

I was digging through the templates/etc... I can see where the script would be called, but I can't find anything that runs rrdtool or in any way creates the <hostname>_temp.rrd file in /usr/share/cacti/rra/

There has to be a missing piece, or perhaps cacti pulls this output back on it's own and puts the data into the database, but I'm too new to it to know what it does.

Gonna see if I can get the attention of the OP.

-- Dave
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

I sent him email at two different addresses, so hopefully he will come back and help us out.

-- Dave
mboeschen.willmar

Alright - I think I am on to something here. I changed in the settings my poller to Ping only and use ICMP. To get ICMP to work, I changed my poller.php cron job to run as root. The sensor is now "recovering" and the graphs have been generated, and I have current data. Not sure it is graphing correctly yet, as I dont see any lines, but it is receiving data.
mboeschen.willmar

And it is now graphing correctly. The lines have appeared! Success!
Let me know if you hear anything back, if there is a different approach to take.
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

Alright, let me change the poller around as well and see if that works...

I switched to ICMP only earlier and all my hosts went "Down" =P

I'll let you know.

Thanks,

-- Dave
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

That worked!!! Thanks!!!

I'll write this out verbosely just so that any other noobs encounter this problem...

I edited /etc/cron.d/cacti and changed the "cacti" user (second field) that was listed in there to "root"

After the next 5 minute interval, I had graphs generated for my two temperature sensors, and in another few minutes, I had data being graphed.

Hooray!

-- Dave
rtyrell

Error: XML: Hash version does not exist

Post by rtyrell »

I recieved the following error when trying to import your scripts "Error: XML: Hash version does not exist",

Can you tell me what version of Cacti you used to export these templates? Thanks.
palmatum

Post by palmatum »

hi all,

I installed the scripts as specified, changed host availability to ping only and ping system to icmp and ran the poller as root. Anyway I keep seeing the graph image but no data is shown.
The script works great when run from the cli.
The only problem I am able to notice is that rrd files relative to websensor were owned by root whilst all other rrd files by cacti user. I changed the ownership and chmod 751 the pl script but I had no result.
Can anyone help me?
thanks in advance
esensors

Beta plugin available

Post by esensors »

Hi,

We (Esensors) have updated our plugin, released under GPL, to support Cacti.
This is a beta version.

It is available at http://www.eesensors.com/download.html

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Please post improvements to this thread or contact us by email.