boost compatibility

Support questions about the Network Weather Map plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Rossco
Cacti User

boost compatibility

Post by Rossco »

Hi guys

I'm a great fan of weathermap, however I have now reached the stage whereby I need to move to using the boost plugin to stop polling cycle overload.

My undestanding is that weathermap does not yet work with boost, but that there may be a plan to make it compatible in the near future?

Does anyone have an eta on this? I'd hate to be without weathermap or too long ;-)

Cheers

Rossco
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Re: boost compatibility

Post by Howie »

Rossco wrote:My undestanding is that weathermap does not yet work with boost, but that there may be a plan to make it compatible in the near future?

Does anyone have an eta on this? I'd hate to be without weathermap or too long ;-)
It's on my todo list, but so far it hasn't been too high up because I don't use it. It will be an additional datasource plugin, plus quite a few internal changes to the cacti plugin to support it.

Basically it has to be modified so that it gets data as cacti reads it (aka poller_top), not afterwards from the rrds (which are no longer up to date), then stores that temporarily so that the 'real' part of weathermap can get the data, later in the poller cycle. To do that, it has to know which data needs to be saved, which in turn means either reading the config files early and storing the map object, or reading them twice, or storing the results of the last poller cycle (so that it would take two poller cycles for the data to 'sync up' after changing the map).

I suppose I should get around to making a test environment, now that 0.9 is done, and the major issues sorted (0.91 any day now).

Update: so that might take a bit longer, since it seems that Boost only supports 0.8.6i, and I run j on my test box and on my production box. Useful Tip: Don't bother with x64 Vista, especially if you like VMware.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
Rossco
Cacti User

boost compatibility

Post by Rossco »

Hi Howie

Thanks for the quick reply - I did look through the changelogs, but couldnt see anything mentioning boost.

Sounds like it will be a pain to integrate - I can understand your reluctance.

I'll keep my fingers crossed - and thanks for your hard work so far, its an incredibly useful tool.

Kind Regards

Rossco
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Re: boost compatibility

Post by Howie »

Rossco wrote:Sounds like it will be a pain to integrate - I can understand your reluctance.
It is a fair bit of work, but it would benefit non-boost users too. Weathermap itself should run a bit quicker without all those system('rrdtool') calls :-)

The other downside is that you'll need to change all your TARGETs (since you won't be looking at rrds anymore), but it's possible I can automate that process.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
jale

Post by jale »

Hi,

I just made simple perl script that access graphs that are in my weathermap and put it in cron.
So every 5 minutes script opens graph_image.php for every graph that I want and Boost updates rrds.

It's ugly way to do this, but I didn't find any other solution.

- Jari
Rossco
Cacti User

Post by Rossco »

Ugly, but a nifty piece of lateral thinking - thanks for sharing :D

Cheers

Rossco