Downgrading PHP

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

kubstix

Downgrading PHP

Post by kubstix »

I used the Beta Installer to install on a Windows 2003 Server, however, every once in awhile the graphs stop working. Sometimes they show red x's and sometimes they just show the text but no graph and no red x's. I mean a simple reboot fixes the problem, but I don't want to keep rebooting. I was thinking maybe this is due to PHP version 5.2.1 being buggy. Should I downgrade to 5.2 like everyone seems to be doing? If downgrading, how do I accomplish this? Do I just download 5.2 and overwrite the files in the PHP directory or is there more to it? Thank You.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Re: Downgrading PHP

Post by BSOD2600 »

kubstix wrote:Should I downgrade to 5.2 like everyone seems to be doing?
Yes.
kubstix wrote:Do I just download 5.2 and overwrite the files in the PHP directory
Yes.
kubstix

Post by kubstix »

It's just that easy though? I replaced the PHP files and now the scheduled task will not run. The command prompt window opens but just hangs there?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

What did you replace the files with? the exe or zip file from php? You'll want the zip file...

When you manually run: php poller.php, what are the errors?
kubstix

Post by kubstix »

I highlighted all the files from the zip and pasted them in my PHP folder and overwrote existing files. Then when the scheduled task ran it just sits there (two dos windows). One window is when I manually ran PHP in dos. It just has a blank blinking underscore underneath. Other window is C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe blank dos window with blinking cursor?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Did you stop all IIS services before doing that?
kubstix

Post by kubstix »

Yes I stopped the IIS service which also stopped the dependencies.........I extracted contents of 5.2 into a folder called php. I copied the folder and pasted it in the root of C: (overwrote all files and folders). Rebooted just as a precaution instead of just starting the services back up. And now this happens?
apperrault
Cacti User

Post by apperrault »

Did you keep your old PHP.INI file, or copy the settings to the new one? If you didn't couldn't that be part of your problem? I was getting ready to do this, so I think i will wait until you get your issue resolved before i take the plunge.

app
[b]Cacti Version[/b] - 0.8.7b
[b]Plugin Architecture[/b] - 2.2 Beta
[b]Poller Type[/b] - CMD.php
[b]Server Info[/b] - Linux 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp
[b]Web Server[/b] - Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
[b]PHP[/b] - 4.3.9
[b]MySQL[/b] - 4.1.22
[b]RRDTool[/b] - 1.2.23
[b]SNMP[/b] - 5.1.2
[b]Plugins[/b][list]Global Plugin Settings (settings - v0.5)
SuperLinks (superlinks - v0.72)
Host Info (hostinfo - v0.2)
Report Creator (reports - v0.3)
Update Checker (update - v0.4)
Realtime for Cacti (realtime - v0.35)
Cacti Log View (clog - v1.1)
RRD File Cleaner (rrdclean - v0.36)
Network Discovery (discovery - v0.9)
Uptime (uptime - v0.4)[/list]
kubstix

Post by kubstix »

app, i will let you know if the next couple of minutes. Also, would you mind helping me setup the manage plugin soon as I sort this issue out? Im new to Cacti period. Thank You.
apperrault
Cacti User

Post by apperrault »

I will try, but I may not be the best person, and I am actually going to be leaving the office here in about 30 minutes, and will not be around tomorrow.

There is an ongoing thread that is long, but it has a lot of great information. The author and the user MCutting have been invaluable in getting this working for me

app
[b]Cacti Version[/b] - 0.8.7b
[b]Plugin Architecture[/b] - 2.2 Beta
[b]Poller Type[/b] - CMD.php
[b]Server Info[/b] - Linux 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp
[b]Web Server[/b] - Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
[b]PHP[/b] - 4.3.9
[b]MySQL[/b] - 4.1.22
[b]RRDTool[/b] - 1.2.23
[b]SNMP[/b] - 5.1.2
[b]Plugins[/b][list]Global Plugin Settings (settings - v0.5)
SuperLinks (superlinks - v0.72)
Host Info (hostinfo - v0.2)
Report Creator (reports - v0.3)
Update Checker (update - v0.4)
Realtime for Cacti (realtime - v0.35)
Cacti Log View (clog - v1.1)
RRD File Cleaner (rrdclean - v0.36)
Network Discovery (discovery - v0.9)
Uptime (uptime - v0.4)[/list]
Dacob9906
Cacti User

Post by Dacob9906 »

To replace PHP version 5.2.1 with 5.2.0. All you have to do is this:

1. Stop the IIS service.
2. Extract the php5.2.0.zip files into a folder somewhere.
3. Replace all the files in c:\php with the files that you extracted EXCEPT for the php.ini file.
4. Start the IIS service and dependincies that it stopped if it doesn't start them.
5. Done.

Do not forget to keep your old php.ini file... if you don't keep it and overwrite it also... cact will cease to function.

Good luck!
Jacob Bergman
Pullman School District
jbergman@psd267.wednet.edu

Operating System: winserv 2003
Webserver: IIS 6.0
Cacti: BETA windows installer 1.5 (BSOD2600)
kubstix

Post by kubstix »

Thanks alot, I got it. Much thanks.
kubstix

Post by kubstix »

Nevermind, this didn't work. I replace all the files in the PHP directory after shutting down the IIS services. When I reboot and try to log in to Cacti, it just shows a blank white page. When checking the IIS Default Web Sites, it shows the PHP ISAPI Filter as down with a red arrow. I keep hearing all I need to do is replace the files, but this is not the case. After I replace the files and reboot, it doesn't work anymore. What am I doing wrong?
Dacob9906
Cacti User

Post by Dacob9906 »

First, don't reboot the machine, there is no need to. Just restart the services. Second, does cacti work perfectly ok when you first do the install?? I know this way of reverting to php 5.2.0 works, I have done it about 3 times the exact same way I told you... if it isn't working for you, I'm not sure what to tell you... Sorry :(
Jacob Bergman
Pullman School District
jbergman@psd267.wednet.edu

Operating System: winserv 2003
Webserver: IIS 6.0
Cacti: BETA windows installer 1.5 (BSOD2600)
kubstix

Post by kubstix »

When I run the Cacti Installer, I reboot. Then if I try to log in I get access denied. So I perform these steps.

Executables setting of the Execute permission. To do so:
1. Start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
2. Right-click the Web site that contains the SharePoint Web site that you created, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Home Directory tab.
4. Under Application settings, click either Scripts only in the Execute permissions list or Scripts and Executables in the Execute permissions list (as appropriate to your situation). Click OK.
5. Quit IIS Manager.

Now I am able to login successfully. Everything works perfectly fine in Cacti, graphs work perfectly fine. So i download the zip files of PHP5.2.....stop the IIS service replace all the files in the C:/PHP directory. Start the services back up, the ISAPI filter goes red and I cannot get into the website anymore. That is exactly what im doing.