Links Plugin Question

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Khan

Links Plugin Question

Post by Khan »

Has anyone played around with the Links plugin http://wotsit.thingy.com/haj/cacti/links-plugin.html? Specifically getting Nagios embedded in that tab? Just curious. Thanks.
tdjb

Post by tdjb »

While not for Nagios I'm doing the same thing with other applications.
I just use an iframe html command to embed the applications in.

Not sure how much that helps...
Khan

Post by Khan »

tdjb wrote:While not for Nagios I'm doing the same thing with other applications.
I just use an iframe html command to embed the applications in.

Not sure how much that helps...
Actually, Howie (the Links author) sent me some information on using IFRAME's. Nagios has been loading into that tab nicely now for a few weeks. I've been meaning to post the modifications to Nagios and the Links plugin in this forum for all to enjoy however, I've been busy with my VMware project. I will post the files later this week including my nice "Nagios" tab for Cacti :D
munozm

Same thing

Post by munozm »

I'm looking to do the same thing. I have the tab with nagios in it which seems to work. I used Iframes but the length is odd. If I set it to 100% it doesn't seem to work, I have to manually define the length. Not too big of a deal with Nagios, but another program I'm using with another tab is screwed up by that. Can I see the config you used for the iframe?

Another quick question I have:
In nagios, the updates are every 90 seconds. Did you modify something so the page refresh is on the same screen (like tactical overview for instance) instead of changing to the default nagios home screen when an update occurs?

Thanks.
Khan

Re: Same thing

Post by Khan »

munozm wrote:Another quick question I have:
In nagios, the updates are every 90 seconds. Did you modify something so the page refresh is on the same screen (like tactical overview for instance) instead of changing to the default nagios home screen when an update occurs?

Thanks.
Hi munozm!
Here is the modified Links plugin to allow for Nagios to display correctly as a tab inside of Cacti. After you expand the archive, you need to place the "links" folder in the plugin directory of Cacti and activate it like any other plugin. Next, you need to move the index, main and side html files into the "share" directory of your Nagios installation.

I did modify it to display the Tactical Overview on the refreshes instead of the main page. This was needed because of the refresh. You can set it to whatever view in Nagios that you want. For my operations people, this is the easiest to default to. Anyway, let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

I'd like to thank Howie for his initial help with getting this to work and of course, to everyone that helps make Cacti and Nagios the great products that they are.

I even included my custom "Nagios" tab that I created to blend in with the Cacti tab scheme. Enjoy!
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
nagios-in-cacti.jpg (178.04 KiB) Viewed 7658 times
nagios-in-cacti-link.tar.gz
Custom Nagios Tab in Cacti
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Last edited by Khan on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munozm

Post by munozm »

Great thanks. The tab seems to be working.

Where did you reset the value to make the tactical page come up when an auto refresh occurred?

Just as a response to my iframes issue, I noticed that the height option seemed to work in Internet Explorer, but not in my firefox browser.

Thanks,
Mike
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

Also, after mike first asked about this I got to thinking that I'll probably try and get a new Links+ out, with the ability to add multiple tabs each with their own page from one plugin. I think I have the necessary stuff to make proper cacti-style tabs on the fly, and the actual plugin functionality is the same.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
Khan

Post by Khan »

Howie wrote:Also, after mike first asked about this I got to thinking that I'll probably try and get a new Links+ out, with the ability to add multiple tabs each with their own page from one plugin. I think I have the necessary stuff to make proper cacti-style tabs on the fly, and the actual plugin functionality is the same.
That would be sweet, Howie. Maybe you can do that after you implement the INODE modifications for javascripting so that I don't have to do it via post processing :P
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

Khan wrote:
Howie wrote:Also, after mike first asked about this I got to thinking that I'll probably try and get a new Links+ out, with the ability to add multiple tabs each with their own page from one plugin. I think I have the necessary stuff to make proper cacti-style tabs on the fly, and the actual plugin functionality is the same.
That would be sweet, Howie. Maybe you can do that after you implement the INODE modifications for javascripting so that I don't have to do it via post processing :P
I don't recall saying that I would do that, but thanks for your input. ;-)

Things I do for for Weathermap or other spare-time projects tends to get prioritised based on how much fun it will be, or how much I need it for my own work, or how much many fewer questions it'll result in in the forums.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Khan

Post by Khan »

Howie wrote: I don't recall saying that I would do that, but thanks for your input. ;-)

Things I do for for Weathermap or other spare-time projects tends to get prioritised based on how much fun it will be, or how much I need it for my own work, or how much many fewer questions it'll result in in the forums.
I know, I know...just giving you a hard time. Trust me, the network guys at my company LOVE the work that you are doing with WeatherMap. It's really opened their eyes to what can be done with Linux in general which in turn, makes my management happy when they can visually see what's going on with our LAN\WAN. It also helps us justify the need to purchase more bandwidth so that our p0rn downloads go faster! :wink:
Khan

Post by Khan »

munozm wrote:Great thanks. The tab seems to be working.

Where did you reset the value to make the tactical page come up when an auto refresh occurred?

Just as a response to my iframes issue, I noticed that the height option seemed to work in Internet Explorer, but not in my firefox browser.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,
The setting for the Tactical Page is Line 10 in the index.html page. The line reads:

Code: Select all

<FRAME SRC="/nagios/cgi-bin/tac.cgi" NAME="main">
This can be modified to whatever Nagios CGI output is available by reviewing the side.html code for the command name. As for the height issue, I run my desktop at 1400X1050 and use Firefox 2.x...not sure why it would display different in IE especially in height. Typically where I see problems is with the column widths.
munozm

Post by munozm »

Thanks for the additional info, works great!
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

I've just finished the first version of SuperLinks, which does all this stuff. I'll post in Plugin Announcements in a minute.