BigIP v9 Template

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

tgravvold

BigIP v9 Template

Post by tgravvold »

F5 BigIP v9 host template for Cacti
http://docs.cacti.net/usertemplate:host:f5:bigip
=============================

The template contains all the templates posted here before, so you can ignore the other templates, this is the one and only download you want to do.

Graph Templates:
F5 BigIP - Global - Client Connections
F5 BigIP - Global - Client Packets
F5 BigIP - Global - Client Traffic (bits/sec
F5 BigIP - Global - HTTP 2xx/3xx Responses
F5 BigIP - Global - HTTP 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx Responses
F5 BigIP - Global - HTTP 4xx/5xx Responses
F5 BigIP - Global - HTTP Requests per Ramcache Actions
F5 BigIP - Global - HTTP Requests per Type
F5 BigIP - Global - Memory Usage
F5 BigIP - Global - Server Connections
F5 BigIP - Global - Server Packets
F5 BigIP - Global - Server Traffic (bits/sec
F5 BigIP - Global - SSL Transactions
F5 BigIP - Global - TM CPU Usage
ucd/net - CPU Usage (enhanced
ucd/net - Load Average (enhanced
ucd/net - Memory Usage (enhanced
ucd/net - TCP Counters
ucd/net - TCP Current Established
ucd/net - Uptime

Data Queries:
F5 BigIP - Chassis Fan
F5 BigIP - Chassis Temperature
F5 BigIP - CPU - Fan
F5 BigIP - CPU - Temperature
F5 BigIP - Host CPU - CPU Usage
F5 BigIP - Interface - Errors/Drops/Collisions
F5 BigIP - Interface - Traffic (bits/sec
F5 BigIP - Pool - Active Members
F5 BigIP - Pool Member - Server Connections
F5 BigIP - Pool Member - Server Packets
F5 BigIP - Pool Member - Server Traffic (bits/sec
F5 BigIP - TMM - Client Connections
F5 BigIP - TMM - Client Packets
F5 BigIP - TMM - Client Traffic (bits/sec
F5 BigIP - TMM - CPU Usage
F5 BigIP - TMM - Memory Usage
F5 BigIP - TMM - Server Connections
F5 BigIP - TMM - Server Packets
F5 BigIP - TMM - Server Traffic (bits/sec

How-to install:
1. Download the zip file.
2. Extract.
3. Copy the snmp query files "f5_BigIP-ChassisTemp.xml", "f5_bigip_ifStat.xml" and "f5_bigip_vs.xml" to the "<path_cacti>/resource/snmp_queries" directory of your Cacti installation.
4. Copy the php script server file "ss_f5-bigip-tmm-memory.php" into your "<path_cacti>/scripts".
5. Import the host template "F5_BigIP_v9-Host_Template-rev_5.xml" via the import feature in the Cacti web UI.

Revision history:
Rev 8: Lots of standardizations by yreddy.
Rev 7: Fixed various templates, scripts. Re-wrote the TMM cpu/memory usage for pure SNMP and a complex CDEF to do the math. Added environment scripts (BSOD2600).
Rev 6: changed vs names in "F5 BigIP - VS Traffic" data template. Some new graphs (Thanks to matibut14 for the SSL TPS graph).
Rev 5: New graphs for VS Traffic and VS Connections. New snmp query "f5_bigip_vs.xml". Some cosmetical changes in existing templates (2006.11.13).
Rev 4: Initial revision (2006.11.10).

Known issues:
There are known issues with the "f5_bigip_ifStat.xml" and "f5_bigip_vs.xml" data query files for user who have UCD-SNMP 4.x (I'm using 5.x). Please read the thread for info of how to resolve this problem (thanks to matibut14).

Have fun!

Best regards
Terje Gravvold
Attachments
F5_BigIP_v9-Host_Template-rev_7.zip
BigIP v9 Host Template rev 7. Exported w/Cacti 0.8.7d. -- BSOD2600
(83.16 KiB) Downloaded 3456 times
F5_BigIP_v9-Host_Template-rev_6.zip
BigIP v9 Host Template rev 6. Download, unzip and follow the instructions above.
(19.41 KiB) Downloaded 47293 times
F5_BigIP_v9-Host_Template-rev_5.zip
BigIP v9 Host Template rev 5. Download, unzip and follow the instructions above.
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
Last edited by tgravvold on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:28 am, edited 9 times in total.
tgravvold

NEW: Interface Traffic template for BigIP v9.x

Post by tgravvold »

So I'm finaly there! I've done a fresh install of cacti 0.8.6i on Fedora Core 5 and decided to start from scratch. I've also decided to redo my work on templates for BigIP. Here is the first one I've got working.

This template will give you functionality to graph BigIP interface traffic (bits/sec in and out on physical interfaces). The statistics is gathered from statistics in the F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB.txt.

The SNMP data query also includes functionality for doing more than just Bytes in/out statistics. So if you want you can graph packets in/out, interface drops etc. The only thing you must do is create templates for this in the GUI and post it back here :-).

Please give it a try and report back.

Revision history:
1.0 - Initial version
1.1 - Minor cosmetical updates to get better looking graphs (2006.11.07).

Best regards
Terje Gravvold
Attachments
F5_BigIP-Traffic-v1_1.xml
New version 1.1, see revision history.
(14.92 KiB) Downloaded 2569 times
f5_bigip_ifStat.xml
This is the snmp data query XML. Place this file in your cacti dir under resource/snmp_queries/.
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 2204 times
F5_BigIP-Traffic-v1_0.xml
Here's the graph template with dependencies (I hope). Import this via the import functionality in your Cacti GUI.
(16.1 KiB) Downloaded 1790 times
Last edited by tgravvold on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgravvold

NEW: F5 BigIP - Global Connections graph

Post by tgravvold »

The following simple template graphs the sysStatClientCurConns value from the F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB. This graph will show the current connections from client side, the value is global summary for the system.

The template is made with cacti 0.8.6i.

Revision history:
1.0 - Initial version (2006.11.07).

Best regards
Terje Gravvold
Attachments
F5_BigIP-GlobalConn-v1_0.xml
Import this template via the import function in Cacti web UI.
(10.32 KiB) Downloaded 1680 times
tgravvold

Solved problem with long OIDs and Cacti

Post by tgravvold »

My problem with long OID's and Cacti is now solved. The problem is described in detail here http://forums.cacti.net/about16772.html.

In short terms the problem is that the OID index i have to use to poll BigIP vs statistics is a numeric representation of the vs name. When the vs names got too long i got NaN's in the graphs.

The solution was, in my case, upgrading to Cacti 0.8.6i.

I will post a new host template with my new setup for vs connection and traffic monitoring as soon as I'm finished testing it.

Best regards
Terje Gravvold
aelred

Mostly working for me

Post by aelred »

I upgraded to 8.6i and installed the new templates. I'm able to graph a lot of things now, but for some reason I'm not getting any actual data in my graphs. Not sure if this is Cacti related or F5 related at this point...
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Please follow the instructions of my "NaN Debugging" howto
Reinhard
aelred

Post by aelred »

I guess I should clarify.

Cacti has been up and running for several months. I recently upgraded my F5's from 2400s to 3400s (and from 4.5.14 to 9.1.2 on the software side).

On cacti 8.6h, my old graphs were pulling interface stats fine hitting the bigip as a default snmp host. My graphs got wierd after the bigip upgrade, so i downloaded tgravvolds fix, and upgraded cacti to the i version as well.

Everything is up and running smooth, and cacti seems to query and find the mibs on the BigIP. The graphs are drawn, and there aren't NaN errors, but I just don't get any data on the graph.

I'll work through your HowTo to see if I missed something.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

You may post a screenshot (deleting all confidential infos)
Reinhard
aelred

Post by aelred »

okay, i have the following error in cacti.log:

11/16/2006 03:24:48 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[109] DS[1203] WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result:
11/16/2006 03:24:48 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[109] DS[1203] SNMP: v1: 10.2.1.20, dsname: collisions, oid: .1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.12.3.49.46.49, output: U
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

So, please snmpwalk this OID (.1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.12.3.49.46.49) and post the results (_no_ community strings in posts, please)
Reinhard
tgravvold

Post by tgravvold »

Nice to see that somebody actually uses the templates :-).

Have you tried to poll the snmp OID with snmpwalk? Try to run snmpwalk -v 2c -c <snmp_community> <hostname> .1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.12.3.49.46.49. What result do you get? You should get something like:
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.12.3.49.46.49 = Counter64: 0

The OID you refer to here is the OID for graphing collisions on a physical interface on the BigIP v9.x device, do you have the same problems with other OIDs, like for example bytesin/out?

Also remember when using the Interface Statistics data query that you have two types of graphs to choose from, Interface errors/drops/collisions and traffic (bits/sec). You have to select the type before creating the graph, use "select graph type" (look for it under the interface list).

Good luck!

Best regards
Terje Gravvold
aelred

Post by aelred »

I get nothing back from the BigIP when I do a walk of the OID. I tried various other OIDs that had errors in cacti.log, and get the same lack of response.
tgravvold

Post by tgravvold »

I belive you've already double-checked the snmp config on your BigIP? Pay attention to any restrictions under the snmp community. To get full snmp access you have to enter .1 in the OID field of the snmp community config.

Can you pull any other data via snmp from the BigIP? For Example can you run snmpwalk -v 2c -c <your_community> <hostname> system. Wich version of the BigIP OS do you run, my version is 9.2.3.

- Terje -
aelred

Post by aelred »

After installation of the new BigIP, I was getting SNMP data, but it wasn't matching the stats on the actual BigIp itself.

(Hence my cacti upgrade and installation of the above tools).

When I do "snmpwalk -c foo -v 1 system" I get a full dump from the box and can see all the MIBs. (I can pull via -v 2c as well).

version: BIG-IP 9.1.2 Build 69.0
aelred

Post by aelred »

AHA!

When I do a walk of the specific OIDs using -v 2c i get valid input.

By default we use v1 here.

Okay, so the end solution is that for the BigIP template you MUST use v2 SNMP, v1 doesn't work.