Graphing multiple value Hex-STRING SNMP output?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

tdjb

Graphing multiple value Hex-STRING SNMP output?

Post by tdjb »

I am a new rrdtool/cacti user and I have a feeling the solution to this is way over my head (if even possible).
I am pulling data from an OID that has multiple hex values that need to be converted to decimal and graphed. Is this possible?

Here is a short version of what the output looks like from a snmpget on this OID:

"40 47 3C 40 38 3A 47 43 3E 48 4A 4D 55 46 52 43
42 3C 4A 47 4A 47 47 44 3D 47 40 4B 41 44 44 42
36 3D 3A 3E 37 41 41 3C 3C 33 37 35 36 3A 35 34
32 36 33 36 33 36 38 3C 37 3E 42 3E 3B 3E 39 3B
38 36 39 38 2F 34 3A 33 41 37 37 39 3D 38 39 32"

The entire string is 48 rows X 16 columns.
So what I'm trying to do is take all ~768 values and plot them on a graph, then connect the dots to make a nice line graph. Am I asking for more then cacti can do?
As I said, I'm very new to this software but if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

So, do you know the OID for this value? If so, open a command shell and perform the following command:

snmpget -c <your_community> -v <your_version> <your_host> <your_oid>

If it comes back hex, then do the following:

if csh:

setenv MIBS "ALL"

if sh/bash/ksh

set MIBS="ALL"; export MIBS

if Windows

set MIBS="All"

then:

snmpget -c <your_community> -v <your_version> <your_host> <your_oid>

Again. See if the output changes.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
tdjb

Post by tdjb »

No, no output changes.

When I first posted I had the MIB file "loaded" so I was not using the full numeric OID. I went ahead and took the MIB file out and tried the snmpget with the full numeric OID and got the same output.

:-?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Can you do the same procedure and change MIBS=All to MIBS=None. Net-snmp will complain, but I gave you the incorrect procedure. Sorry, I'm a bit distracted at the moment.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
tdjb

Post by tdjb »

TheWitness wrote:Can you do the same procedure and change MIBS=All to MIBS=None. Net-snmp will complain, but I gave you the incorrect procedure. Sorry, I'm a bit distracted at the moment.

TheWitness
No problem, I appreciate the help.

I still get the same output though, even with MIBS=none. I know it's not using the MIB though because if I try to use a non-numeric OID I get an error.
So with or without the MIB the output is still the same.
tdjb

Post by tdjb »

Ok, so redo time :)

Is there a way to just plot data into an rrd and have rrtool generate a graph? I know this is not what it's made for but I would like to only use one program and also add this data to Cacti.
Right now I am using jplot to create the graph. I have a text file with three columns that I feed into jplot and it creates the graph based on those values.

Column one is the X value
Column two is the first Y value
Column three is the second Y value
This is what the data looks like in the file:

2.03906 57 -22
2.07812 51 -22
2.11719 50 -21
etc, etc.

So I guess my question is, can I take this data file (which is created by my script) and have rrdtool generate the graph for it?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Sure, goto www.rrdtool.org and lookup the reference information on creating and updating RRD files.

TheWitness

tdjb

Post by tdjb »

TheWitness wrote:Sure, goto www.rrdtool.org and lookup the reference information on creating and updating RRD files.

TheWitness
Ok, I'll dig deeper. I've been hunting the internet all day but haven't found a solution. Problem seems to be this data is not based on time, I have the X values already.
Thanks again.