No DS called 'test' error after adding Data Source Item

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

pjb01

No DS called 'test' error after adding Data Source Item

Post by pjb01 »

Hi,

I have an existing Data Source with 7 Data Source items and corresponding Data Input Method Output Field entries.

I added an additional Data Source item, but when I try to graph the data (after say 10 runs of the poller) I receive the following error:

Code: Select all

ERROR: No DS called 'test' in '/var/www/html/cacti/rra/test.rrd'
All of the original Data Sources continue to update and are graphed correctly, but no data appears to be saved for the new Data Source item.

I've seen this before and fixed it by deleting the .rrd file - then all 8 of the Data Items are updated correctly. However, this has the obvious drawback of losing all historical data!

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this without resorting to deletion of the .rrd? I've tried clearing the poller cache but that doesn't help.

-- debug stuff below

I see this in the logs (log -> DEBUG)

CMDPHP: Poller [0] Host [0] DS[35] CMD: /home/info.php  {output here}
(Poll retrieves data OK) then:

CMDPHP: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL Exec: "insert into poller_output  {output here}
then:

POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field 'test:51' [map test->test]
then:

POLLER: Poller[0] CACTI2RRD: /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.11/bin/rrdtool update  {output here}
So I can't see any obvious errors or problems with the polling.

Thanks,
Peter
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Adding a new data source item does not change existing rrd files. And, more cruical, there is now rrdtool utility to run this task. You may have a look at the contrib section at http://www.rrdtool.org for a homebrewn one. With good knowledge of the XML structure of rrdtool dumps, it is possible to create a new ds using dump/modify manually/restore
Reinhard