Should the Manage Plugin Be a Base Part of Cacti?

Discussions on developing plugins for the Cacti Plugin Architecture

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Poll ended at Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:39 pm

Yes
70%
No
20%
What does Manage do?
6%
Hey, could somebody get me a beer!
4%

Total votes: 138

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Please submit your vote. Personally, I think so. It would need some tweaking, because depending on the port, you may want to do more than a SYN. But what a start!!

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
fmangeant
Cacti Guru User

Re: Should the Manage Plugin Be a Base Part of Cacti?

Post by fmangeant »

TheWitness wrote:Please submit your vote. Personally, I think so.
Hi Larry

personally, I don't think so... IMHO Cacti should only graph things, and not monitor them. Here we're using Hobbit Monitor (a rewritten "version" of Big Brother, much more powerful) to monitor ~ 2200 devices (routers, Unix & Windows servers, AS/400, MVS, etc.), and do a lot of network tests. Hobbit generates graphs with RRDtool, but I don't use this part since it lacks the powerful templates mechanism of Cacti, there are no graph permissions, etc.

The only monitor function that I would like to see in Cacti would be a way to know when an SNMP agent is down, to avoid BIG gaps in graphs :)
[size=84]
[color=green]HOWTOs[/color] :
[list][*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15353]Install and configure the Net-SNMP agent for Unix[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=26151]Install and configure the Net-SNMP agent for Windows[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=28175]Graph multiple servers using an SNMP proxy[/url][/list]
[color=green]Templates[/color] :
[list][*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15412]Multiple CPU usage for Linux[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=125152]Memory & swap usage for Unix[/url][/list][/size]
r_chetanjain
Cacti User

I think yes...

Post by r_chetanjain »

Its a gr8 start for this plugin with good amount of updates.....even the author is now trying to have a interface which will look like more of Big Brother or something...

Adding New Plugins to the core will allow more and more developer a initiative to bring more thoughts...After this i think we can easily call Cacti as .. " Network Monitoring and Graphing System "

Chetan Jain
streaker69
Cacti Pro User

Post by streaker69 »

As a long time Big Brother user and a recent convert to Cacti, I would like to see the Manage Plugin integrated into the base. I like having one location to go to monitor my system, and I feel the less configuration of 'accessories' the better.

On a side note, great changes to the Monitor Plugin Cigamit. I installed it today in about 2 minutes right before I left work and it went in with no problems. You added all the changes that I was looking for in Monitor at this point.
melchandra
Cacti User

Post by melchandra »

I personally see great value in having a minimalistic base. This allows individual cacti administrators to customize their installations to their own perference. I like the fact that cacti is small, simple, and easy to get up and going. From a philosophical standpoint, the less you have as part of the base package the better. I would spend the time and effort in improving the entire plug-in archtecture so that it is easy to install plugins, and extend the functionality.
Dave
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

melchandra wrote:I personally see great value in having a minimalistic base. This allows individual cacti administrators to customize their installations to their own perference. I like the fact that cacti is small, simple, and easy to get up and going. From a philosophical standpoint, the less you have as part of the base package the better. I would spend the time and effort in improving the entire plug-in archtecture so that it is easy to install plugins, and extend the functionality.
I couldn't have said it better. :D
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
egarnel
Cacti Pro User

Post by egarnel »

melchandra wrote:I personally see great value in having a minimalistic base. This allows individual cacti administrators to customize their installations to their own perference. I like the fact that cacti is small, simple, and easy to get up and going. From a philosophical standpoint, the less you have as part of the base package the better. I would spend the time and effort in improving the entire plug-in archtecture so that it is easy to install plugins, and extend the functionality.
ditto. It makes things a lot cleaner
Cacti1 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
Cacti2 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
King of the Elves
Local Anarchists Union #427
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

Hi,

if cacti is small everyone can get it up and running. plugins are great.
What about this: very usefull plugins are a basepart of cacti, but not enabled on default setup. If you want to use it, you must chnage the user rights to access this plugin (as it is now when installing new plugins)?

Torsten
egarnel
Cacti Pro User

Post by egarnel »

torstentfk wrote:Hi,

if cacti is small everyone can get it up and running. plugins are great.
What about this: very usefull plugins are a basepart of cacti, but not enabled on default setup. If you want to use it, you must chnage the user rights to access this plugin (as it is now when installing new plugins)?

Torsten
Initially, that is good idea, but given the fact that many plugins are "third party" It is better to have a stable core and leave the customizations in the modular parts. Webmin is a good example of this. There is the main webmin program and the core plugins - all which are maintained by the authors and then there are the 3rd party modules maintained by others. These 3rd party modules are skipped over during a webmin upgrade and only the core program and built-in modules are upgraded.
Cacti1 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
Cacti2 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
King of the Elves
Local Anarchists Union #427
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

I agree too. I'd far rather have a stable base to build on than a "kitchen sink" system. The plugin API will allow those things to be added, especially if it is extended in future versions. The only plugins we actually use where I work are THold and Weathermap - we already have monitoring, backup, logging etc elsewhere.

Besides, you guys have plenty to do as it is... taking on more might be a bad idea. :-)
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
eddievenus
Cacti User

Post by eddievenus »

Here is my 2 cents. I am just a user and I am only responding because I believe that this is more than just a simple question of adding this one plugin. This question is just the tip of the iceburg. If you begin adding plugins into the core, where does it end?

Initally I thought it is a good idea to incorporate this into Cacti. But I have to say that though it is a GREAT addon, it is best as just that, an addon. It is a plugin, and should remain that way. In fact perhaps more should be offloaded into plugin status. Make everything modular so that the base is as small as possible and the end user can choose what they want to do with it. Besides does it really matter if this is incorporated directly or as a plugin? Not from where I sit. What reasons would it need to be integrated? So that other parts of Cacti can use the code? If other plugins wish to make use of it they can do that already such as what Manage plugin does with thold. That functionality already exists from what I know. Adding the plugin archtecture directly to the core is the right next step. And I applaude you for already taking that on.

Adding too much to the core functionality of Cacti does not make it better, only potentially larger and more cumbersome. This does not really seem to be problem with one plugin here or there, but after some time and several plugins Cacti may not resemble the application you all set out to create. Leave this as a plugin, maybe include this plugin along with the base package if you feel that it is that important, maybe along with a few others like thold and monitor, but keep it out of the base progam and keep that seperation intact. I believe that keeping it seperate allows everyone more flexability. You do not have to program as much code and we do not have to potentially disable integral parts of the program to get what we want out of it.

I personally use the Manage plugin and would like to see it more integrated into certain aspects of Cacti, but that can be done without absorbing it into the base code of Cacti and I think that it behooves everyone to keep it seperate..

EddieVenus
pestilence
Cacti User

Post by pestilence »

My humble opinion is that cacti can and should be involved in a more powerfull network monitoring and data gathering platform.
This is a major overlap for this Open Source program, i know allot of companies using it, and i am sure they would welcome such an addition to this platform.
/* * Oops. The kernel tried to access some bad page. We'll have to * terminate things with extreme prejudice. */ die_if_kernel("Oops", regs, error_code);
nelissen

Post by nelissen »

I totaly agree here...well said
sdetroch

Post by sdetroch »

I prefer to have the plugin architecture 'polished' and the admin should be able to decide which plugins to install.
Sven
JJX
Cacti User

Post by JJX »

I think it would be nice "plugin architecture" to be inside cacti by default.
I dont think that out there exist a cacti installation without one more plugin! ;)
cacti rulez!