RRDTool Graph error

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

KaiB

RRDTool Graph error

Post by KaiB »

Heya.

I recently installed Cacti and is super newbie :)
Got everything installed (I think) and most of it running.

Everything runs smooth up to the graphing point, there it all stops and I have tried about everything now. All system configuration / enviroment variables is double checked against the Windows installation guide. All permissions is set acordingly to the guide and I have added Everyone with Modify temporary just to check if it got better, but no.

The RRD files are all created and the poller (cactid) is running with no errors. All SNMP queries are also error free (had a bunch of old school MRTG services running on this server without any trouble.)

Some system inforamtion:

Operating System: 2003 Server SP1
Webserver: IIS 6.0
Cacti: 0.8.6h
Cactid:0.8.6g
MySQL: 4.1.18 (coudnt get 5.1.2 to work, got error when importing the Cacti database)
PHP: 5.1.2
RRDTool: 1.2.10
Net-SNMP: 5.3.0.1-1
ActivePerl: 5.8.7.815
Cygwin: Uhm...newest :)

In Graph Managment and on every graph for every device I have created I get the following debug information:

c:/rrdtool/rrdtool/release/rrdtool.exe graph - \ (I have tried both RRDTool.exe from your zip file and the origional)
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-86400 \
--end=-300 \
--title="Dalan - 836 - Traffic - AT0" \
--rigid \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="bits per second" \
--slope-mode \
DEF:a="C\:/MRTG-Reports/Cacti/rra/dalan_836_traffic_in_11.rrd":traffic_in:AVERAGE \
DEF:b="C\:/MRTG-Reports/Cacti/rra/dalan_836_traffic_in_11.rrd":traffic_out:AVERAGE \
CDEF:cdefa=a,8,* \
CDEF:cdefe=b,8,* \
AREA:cdefa#00CF00:"Inbound" \
GPRINT:cdefa:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdefa:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdefa:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n" \
LINE1:cdefe#002A97:"Outbound" \
GPRINT:cdefe:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdefe:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdefe:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s"
RRDTool Says:

Warning: popen(c:/rrdtool/rrdtool/release/rrdtool.exe graph - --imgformat=PNG --start=-86400 --end=-300 --title="Dalan - 836 - Traffic - AT0" --rigid --base=1000 --height=120 --width=500 --alt-autoscale-max --lower-limit=0 --vertical-label="bits per second" --slope-mode DEF:a="C\:/MRTG-Reports/Cacti/rra/dalan_836_traffic_in_11.rrd":traffic_in:AVERAGE DEF:b="C\:/MRTG-Reports/Cacti/rra/dalan_836_traffic_in_11.rrd":traffic_out:AVERAGE CDEF:cdefa=a,8,* CDEF:cdefe=b,8,* AREA:cdefa#00CF00:"Inbound" GPRINT:cdefa:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s" GPRINT:cdefa:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" GPRINT:cdefa:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n" LINE1:cdefe#002A97:"Outbound" GPRINT:cdefe:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %s" GPRINT:cdefe:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" GPRINT:cdefe:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s" 2>&1,rb) [function.popen]: No error in C:\MRTG-Reports\Cacti\lib\rrd.php on line 94

Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\MRTG-Reports\Cacti\lib\rrd.php on line 117

If I try the same manualy in CLI I get the following:

ERROR: invalid rpn expression in: a,8,*

Any ideas? :roll:
Regards
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

1) Do you have the proper permissions on cmd.exe and rrdtool.exe for your IUSR_ and IIS_WPG accounts?

2) If you applied the cacti patches, you must re-push down NTFS security.

3) You must use the cygwin version of rrdtool.

4) Delete the traffic graph and re-create it again.

5) Ran a graphing session under FileMon, like the readme suggests? Anything getting denied?
KaiB

Post by KaiB »

1. I have double checked all permissions for the speacial files and folders. RRDTool create works fine its graph thats returns errors.

2. No patches applied yet.

3. I use the cygwin version since its the only one that "create" works with, I just found it interesting that I got the same error from both so I think it might be something else that couses the error. But dunno what :)

4. Done that lots of times in all sorts of ways, not even an emtpy graph so far. All the rrd's are created and updated every 5 minutes from the Windows schedule though.

5. I can check with filemon when i get back to work on wednesday, but I have tried to work around a possible permission problem with adding the everyone group with modify permission but I get same error.
Regards
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

I'd double check your rrdtool path. You've specified the full path (i.e. c:/rrdtool/rrdtool.exe) right? You've also specified rrdtool 1.2 in cacti settings, right?

Looking at the code in rrdtool.php, its dying when trying to output the data, which leads me to believe its a path or permission issue.

Code: Select all

case RRDTOOL_OUTPUT_STDERR:
                        if (isset($fp)) {
                                $output = fgets($fp, 1000000);
KaiB

Post by KaiB »

The path I have pointed to RRDTool atm is c:\cacti\rrdtool.exe wich is where i unziped the cygwin rrdtool.

However, I havent specified a path to an RRDTool font. Silly me was looking in the RRDTool folders for a font :)

After reading through Jay's post about a similar problem you advise him about the font. You think that coud be the reason why RRDTool wont accept the graph command? I got no qlue about programing so that code doesnt tell me much but since say it dies trying to output it il try specifying a Windows font when i get back to work.
Regards
KaiB

Post by KaiB »

Found the error with Filemon.

Had the wrong IUSR permission on cmd.exe :D

Used the Domain IUSR's instead of the local one.....
Regards