Simple problem: snmp cpu-utilization

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

lukas

Simple problem: snmp cpu-utilization

Post by lukas »

Hi all!

Is anybody reading the mailinglist? Hey, come'on, mailinglists are the best way to do all this sort of things! ;)

Anyway, my problem is that I monitor the cpu-utilization of my boxes via snmp.
But they all show up all the time with exactly the same percentage:
one server is constantly at 8% User, 5% System, anotherone is at 0% User, 2% System.

I'm using Cacti 0.6.8a on Debian/Woody, net-snmpd on all boxes and am polling OID's enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuUser.0 and enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuSystem.0.

Any comments?
bye
Lukas
bulek
Cacti Pro User

Post by bulek »

I prefer this board to mailing list because like you said it is "the best way to do all this sort of things" :)

Seems you have very stable linux environment (even too stable). How does the utilization look like when you check it with snmpget directly?

- bulek
lukas

Post by lukas »

Hm. Maybe we should write a script to tie the mailinglist and the board together ;)

Well, the environment is not so stable, Load wanks between 0.1 and 2, total no of processes between 80 and 200. When I do a top, then the cpu percentage differs, too. But when I ask snmp, it's always the same.

A strange thing I notice: the initial value of a top is always the same value as snmp says, and after the first refresh the values start to grow or shrink. Hm.
bye
Lukas
raX
Lead Developer

Post by raX »

I would recommend using the following ucd-snmp OIDs for gathering CPU utilization:

Code: Select all

enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuRawUser
enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuRawNice
enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuRawSystem
enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuRawIdle
These must be added as a COUNTER instead of a GUAGE however. I have found that this method is much more accurate and even reflects CPU usage on multiple processors.

-Ian