Windows All-In-One Installer [Cacti 1.2.24] [Updated 2023-03-09]

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

zetoo
Cacti User

Re: Windows Installer [Cacti 1.1.2] [Updated 2017-04-05]

Post by zetoo »

BSOD2600 wrote:zetoo:
your issue is not with the installer. per the OP, create a separate post and outline your errors/details. it would appear the device is not correctly configured for snmp or a firewall possible blocking the traffic.
BSOD2600 :

Is this the right way to create graph ?

New Graphs > Choose Graph from Graph Templates (Create : Select a graph type to create) > Save

I just want to make sure from basic way since my 0.8.8f is working perfectly without any extra configuration unlike update 1.0.x and 1.x.x which currently stuck me in no graph automation (even though poller is working when I tried to generate Used Space graphs from Data Query).
zetoo
Cacti User

Post by zetoo »

Anyone have spine 1.1.2 for windows?
jround

Post by jround »

omeKOS wrote:after some testing and checking logfiles: there's a work around:

Run the Cacti installer, in my case the Cacti-1.1.2-3.2.0.0.exe
The installer runs until [Initializing Databse [if necessary] and wait until the mySQL db is available > so waiting forever :-|

to continue the installation:
1) delete the content in C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\Data
2) remove (place # in front of if) of all lines starting with innodbcluster in the configfile C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\my.ini
3) run (CMD) the following command again : "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\bin\mysqld.exe" --defaults-file="C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\my.ini" --initialize-insecure=on --console
4) start manually the mysql service

... and the installer continues and finish :-)

usefull log: C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Installer for Windows\Logs\Administrator installer.log
I have just tried the installer on a clean Windows Server 2016 / IIS with this workaround and the installer seems to complete successfully but then when I go to access Cacti :
Fatal Error - Cacti Database Not Initialized
The Cacti Database has not been initialized. Please initilize it before continuing.

To initilize the Cacti database, issue the following commands either as root or using a valid account.

mysqladmin -uroot -p create cacti

mysql -uroot -p -e "grant all on cacti.* to 'someuser'@'localhost' identified by 'somepassword'"

mysql -uroot -p -e "grant select on mysql.time_zone_name to 'someuser'@'localhost' identified by 'somepassword'"

mysql -uroot -p cacti < /pathcacti/cacti.sql

Where /pathcacti/ is the path to your Cacti install location.

Change someuser and somepassword to match your site preferences. The defaults are cactiuser for both user and password.

NOTE: When installing a remote poller, the config.php file must be writable by the Web Server account, and must include valid connection information to the main Cacti server. The file should be changed to read only after the install is completed.
I did try the steps suggested in the error but it just complains the Cacti database already exists so fails
tsimmons

Post by tsimmons »

I'm trying to upgrade an installation I created using your installer quite some time ago; since your installer isn't designed to upgrade an existing installation, would you consider making your binary builds and installation source available publicly?

Do you have any interest in modifying your installer to make it more "upgrade" friendly?

Thanks &
Cheers,

Toby
RaviKant

Post by RaviKant »

Hi,

Tried to install the latest windows installer on windows 2012 servers however it stuck during MYSQL installation process. Attaching the installation logs, Please help
Attachments
Cacti-Installer logs.txt
(147.07 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
omeKOS

Post by omeKOS »

@RaviKant

after the installer "waits forever" follow the steps i mentioned in a upper post (let the installer open!).
when you start the mySQL service you're see the installer completes
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

omeKOS wrote:to continue the installation:
1) delete the content in C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\Data
The installer should've detected this on launch and asked if you wanted to delete it. Did that not occur? This is one of the several reason why this installer is only meant for new installations....
omeKOS wrote:usefull log: C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Installer for Windows\Logs\Administrator installer.log
can you attach or paste the small relevant sections for why the MySQL installer was hanging?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

tsimmons wrote:I'm trying to upgrade an installation I created using your installer quite some time ago; since your installer isn't designed to upgrade an existing installation, would you consider making your binary builds and installation source available publicly?
Yea, I could. Although the cygwin build process really is quite easy and there aren't any real gotchas...
tsimmons wrote:Do you have any interest in modifying your installer to make it more "upgrade" friendly?
Big life changes so not a lot of time these days for enhancements. There are a LOT of additional gotcha one would need to handle if performing an upgrade, since cacti relies on so many different components, which many users have changed configurations over time. Thinking out loud...
- Should upgrades only be allowed if the installer was originally used or for any system?
- Should an upgrade also upgrade mysql/php/rrdtool/spine or just cacti?
- Does a user really want (or need) to download a 200 MB installer instead of a 10 MB zip and overwriting the existing cacti files manually? Nope...
- Whats the best method for reliably detecting where the Cacti files reside on both IIS and Apache installs? User input is not reliable.
- mysql upgrades can be tricky especially if there are major version changes, clustered instances, or hosted remotely.
- php upgrades can be tricky especially if there are major version changes or core php files scattered around the system (as some other installers/users do).
tsimmons

Post by tsimmons »

BSOD2600 wrote:Yea, I could. Although the cygwin build process really is quite easy and there aren't any real gotchas...
That would be cool; The biggest thing to me was getting Spine upgraded with Cacti each time there is a new release; there was a lot of trial and error getting Spine working properly (as per my PM);
BSOD2600 wrote:
tsimmons wrote:Do you have any interest in modifying your installer to make it more "upgrade" friendly?
Big life changes so not a lot of time these days for enhancements. There are a LOT of additional gotcha one would need to handle if performing an upgrade, since cacti relies on so many different components, which many users have changed configurations over time. Thinking out loud...
- Should upgrades only be allowed if the installer was originally used or for any system?
- Should an upgrade also upgrade mysql/php/rrdtool/spine or just cacti?
- Does a user really want (or need) to download a 200 MB installer instead of a 10 MB zip and overwriting the existing cacti files manually? Nope...
- Whats the best method for reliably detecting where the Cacti files reside on both IIS and Apache installs? User input is not reliable.
- mysql upgrades can be tricky especially if there are major version changes, clustered instances, or hosted remotely.
- php upgrades can be tricky especially if there are major version changes or core php files scattered around the system (as some other installers/users do).
Yeah, I really hadn't considered all the ancillary parts which vastly complicate the issue. I was really just looking for Spine and Cacti to be upgraded in place, but it doesn't really make sense to only upgrade those, probably not worth the effort. Cacti itself is easy enough to upgrade, so being able to get the complete Spine was probably all I was looking for and can probably do myself now that I've dug into it.

Thanks!
tsimmons

Post by tsimmons »

Actually, would you care to share you build process for Spine? I see you get both the 32-bit and 64-bit in the installer, are you using two cygwin installs to build the two versions?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

tsimmons wrote:
BSOD2600 wrote:Yea, I could. Although the cygwin build process really is quite easy and there aren't any real gotchas...
That would be cool; The biggest thing to me was getting Spine upgraded with Cacti each time there is a new release; there was a lot of trial and error getting Spine working properly (as per my PM);
Ok, here you go: http://www.cacti.net/downloads/packages/Windows/
tsimmons wrote: Actually, would you care to share you build process for Spine? I see you get both the 32-bit and 64-bit in the installer, are you using two cygwin installs to build the two versions?
Yup, two side by side cygwin installs.
There really isnt much else to whats documented in \spine\README.md under the Windows section. One exception (possibly a local issue) is I need to first run:
dos2unix ./bootstrap
then the rest is standard
./bootstrap
./configure
make
make install
Kaisim

Post by Kaisim »

BSOD2600 wrote:
tsimmons wrote:
Ok, here you go: http://www.cacti.net/downloads/packages/Windows/
tsimmons wrote:

didnt see 1.1.4 spine.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Kaisim wrote:didnt see 1.1.4 spine.
Almost nothing has changed in the Spine releases: https://github.com/Cacti/spine/blob/develop/ChangeLog
zetoo
Cacti User

Post by zetoo »

Hey BSOD2600, may I ask which version of cacti that can be used normally ?
Since version 1.x.x, I got zero graph automation from graph template.

Before this I installed 0.8.8f and it works fine for me.

PS : I did not change any configuration since 0.8.8f
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

zetoo:
This has nothing to do with the installer. please create a new thread in the general forum. graph automation is now built into cacti... but users still need to configure it.