RELEASED: < 1 Minute to 5 Minute Polling Interval Patch

Important information about Cacti developments that all users should be interested in.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

autys

Post by autys »

HI all..

I've been trying to get this to work without success.. I've followed the PDF instructions exactly (I think) but I'm not getting any of the 1 min graphs created, it also seems like I'm not getitng any 1 min poller data back,

Any ideas where I've gone wrong?
cwalton

Post by cwalton »

Did you tick the checkbox next to each data source when you modified the data query? I know I missed that one the first time.
autys

Post by autys »

Do'h.. I bet that's it. I'll check.. thanks.
torstentfk
Cacti User

patch wokring with plugin arch1.1

Post by torstentfk »

Hello,

I have applied the plugin arch 1.1 for cacti 0.6.8j and then patched to 1 minute polling. Now all plugins and the console-view changed back to standard version: no utility section or mactrack section is visible.
Any new patch working with plugin arch?

Torsten
ahzrv19

Post by ahzrv19 »

Hello,
I am using Ubuntu Dapper Drake and cacti 0.8.6.h (the once which is in the distro).
I followed the instructions in the pdf manual after replacing the original files by the ones in the zip archive. Unfortunally the new files gave me an php error (something with NATURAL and a variable name, can't say it exactly because it is last friday) . Additionally it scrambled the output of the cacti screen. So I deleted the new files and replaced them with the old ones. Everything was fine again afterwards. Working through the script then was no problem until I reached the point (was it 5.0 or 6.0?) where the poller must be adjusted. I didn't find an appropriate entry where to change this value.

Was it correct to replace the old files with the ones while cacti was running? Can or must cacti be restarted after changing the files? I guess that the patch must be applied against my cacti version because all files in the zip archive had a newer date.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Armin Herzer
rr

Revert 1minutepolling patch from 0.8.6i

Post by rr »

I want to revert 1minutepolling patch from 0.8.6i in order
to be able to upgrade to 0.8.6j or at least apply security patches
for 0.8.6i

What do I need to do to insure database integrity?

Some data templates by default have an associated RRA with
"Hourly (1 minute average)" now.. Do I have to deal with
that specially or can I just revert the patch file?

patch -R --dry-run looks OK.
eschoeller
Cacti User

Post by eschoeller »

Are these patches mainlined in 0.8.6j ?

If not, when will they be?
dedfish

Post by dedfish »

I'd also like to know about a patch for 0.8.6j.

Thank you!
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

All,

Please note that on the initial post of this topic, I have attached the modified files with and without the plugin architecture for 0.8.6j.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

Hello Witness,

two problems as I change the files from 5min to 1min polling:
- at 5min-polling I have patched the files with timeshifter-v03. This patch is incompatible with your 1min modification.
- the poller-runtime (cmd.php) runs 1,5 minutes .....too long for 1min polling.
Is there any chance to get around this?
(boost plugin makes heave changes in the system (php,cacti, operating system) so i don't want to change here - I also could not consider the consequence to the mysql db and its system load.

Torsten
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Use Cactid.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

TheWitness wrote:Use Cactid.

TheWitness
done - now checking if all interfaces are polled correctly - in some version of cactid the poller did not polled all interfaces, choked at some results.

Now the result of the poll:
02/23/2007 02:10:18 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[407] DS[4355] WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result: ...
02/23/2007 02:11:17 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:77.1584 Method:cactid Processes:3 Threads:20 Hosts:271 HostsPerProcess:91 DataSources:4472 RRDsProcessed:2722
02/23/2007 02:11:17 PM - UPTIME: Poller[0] Checking uptime
02/23/2007 02:11:17 PM - MANAGE: Poller[0] Checking Manage

It is getting faster but the great time consumption is the threshold plugin in the new version 032: 030 checked within 10-20 seconds..

Torsten
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Torsten,

Boost is not that bad. I run in more than one place without issue.

How may of each data input method do you have:

SNMP
SCRIPT
SCRIPT SERVER.

It is likely that your issues is either that you have many many scripts or you need more RAM. (Otherwise, you will need to use boost if you want your polling cycles lower)

TheWitness

torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

Hi,

Scripts: 5-10 scripts for local statistic polling
script-server: max 2
snmp: many many

Boost: I will look on it

RAM/CPU: 4 CPU with 4GB memory - should be enough

TheWitness wrote:Torsten,

Boost is not that bad. I run in more than one place without issue.

How may of each data input method do you have:

SNMP
SCRIPT
SCRIPT SERVER.

It is likely that your issues is either that you have many many scripts or you need more RAM. (Otherwise, you will need to use boost if you want your polling cycles lower)

TheWitness
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

It could be that you system load/memory use is high. Use top and watch to see when cactid ends vs. poller.php. If the difference in time is large, rrdtool is slowing the poller. If that's the case, boost will help. Otherwise, something else is slowing things.

TheWitness