End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Steve Ollis

Post by Steve Ollis »

I've got mactrack polling devices, and seeing the active ports.. it's just not finding mac addresses, or more than a handful of ip's.

We run Cat 6509 with two MFC rtr blades as core, and C3550's for LAN switching. Multiple VLAN on each switch, for breaking up VoIP (200), printer (4), Desktop (10) traffic for traffic mgt and QOS.

The only switch that sees MAC addresses is the first of our LAN switches, and it's seeing all of the other switches cascaded via the Gig0/0 and Gig0/1 ports.

Is there any IOS commands I should be looking to add to my standard switch config to enable this VERY useful feature.

Oh, and just checked the next page.. the C6509 itself sees three active MACs, 3 servers that are directly connected to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Steve
Attachments
mactrack.GIF
mactrack.GIF (134.42 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
Steve Ollis

Post by Steve Ollis »

*blush*

I'd had to add a few specific 3500's and Rtr blades to match our environment, and.. oops.. had accidentally left the device specific polling to cabletron, instead of IOS.....

Re-running it now and there's LOTS of mac addresses..

*blush*

NOOBS-R-US
vedd99

Workstation tracking?

Post by vedd99 »

Would it be possible to track workstations (PCs) for serial numbers, processor, ram, os type, version, etc in mactrack?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

That, my friend, all depends....

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

All,

It's a cheesy first pass, but please review the attached. Have fun.

TheWitness

http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=56053#56053
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
ioiioi
Cacti User

Post by ioiioi »

cigamit wrote:Here is an updated copy of last nights SVN for the plugin. Everyone test this version and let us know if you find any bugs. I guess I will try to keep an updated version on here anytime anything is fixed, otherwise we keep getting old bug reports.
Hello, cigamit
the post was a few days ago, so maybe there is another newer version in the SVN, could you do me a favor to tell me, how to grab the lastest version from SVN?
I really want to install this plugin in our production enviroment.
fin51

Force10 E series

Post by fin51 »

sobacha wrote:Hi

Has anyone tried on Force10 E-series?

TIA
soba
It will work on a Force10 E300 600 or 1200 if you are using the default vlan. However, if you use something other than the default such as vlan 20 or something it will not. Instead of using the dot1 forward table it uses the dot1q forward table and the information is different and not formatted the same. I ran into this and used my own scripts to get the mac to port entries then populate the mactrack database
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

fin51,

Sounds like a good contrib...

TheWitness

pepj
Cacti User

ERROR: SQL Exec Failed. still here

Post by pepj »

pepj wrote: Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 am Post subject: something is ???? ERROR: SQL Exec Failed
I still get the SQL failed error. Is it corrected, also in the plugin version ?

02/06/2006 10:52:00 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] ERROR: SQL Exec Failed "REPLACE INTO `mac_track_ip_ranges` (ip_range, site_id, ips_current, ips_current_date) VALUES (172.30.7,1,2,2006-02-06 10:49:45)"

PS: other little cosmetic error: After a search of a IP address, I have to
click on "clear"
in order to be able to search a MAC

Thanks
Jean-Michel
cacti 0.8.7e | cmd & cactid (cactid 0.8.x) | Linux | MySQL Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.12, for Win32 | PHP v5.2.6 | Apache v2.x | Thold | Plugin Architecture | plugin "configuration manager" http://cactiusers.org/forums/topic257.html | plugin "IP subnet calculator IPv4 / IPV6" http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15428 | plugin banner http://docs.cacti.net/userplugin:banner | Net-SNMP 5.5.2 | cygwin 1.5.18 of 02.07.2005
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Interesting, unfortunately, I am out of town until Friday evening and will not have any time to put into Cacti until next week at the earliest.

TheWitness

cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Just to ensure that everyone is on the same page, here are the latest changes that were made the other day.
Attachments
mactrack.zip
Mactrack Plugin
(106.04 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
sobacha

Post by sobacha »

fin51,

Thank you for your information. Unfortunately, there are some vlans :)
Now, I can't get the dot1qTpFdbAddress from my E300(FTOS6.2.1.3).
So, what about in your case? Which OID includes the dot1q mac table?

There seems to be no mac address information in the response for qBridgeMIB(1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.***) query, in my environment.

-----------------
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qVlanVersionNumber.0 = INTEGER: version1(1)
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qMaxVlanId.0 = INTEGER: 4094
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qMaxSupportedVlans.0 = Gauge32: 4094
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qNumVlans.0 = Gauge32: 6
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qGvrpStatus.0 = INTEGER: enabled(1)
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qFdbDynamicCount.1 = Counter32: 0
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qFdbDynamicCount.20 = Counter32: 105
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qFdbDynamicCount.21 = Counter32: 34
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qFdbDynamicCount.22 = Counter32: 0
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qFdbDynamicCount.31 = Counter32: 0
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qFdbDynamicCount.255 = Counter32: 10
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qTpFdbPort.20.'...-..' = INTEGER: 1
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qTpFdbPort.20.'....y.' = INTEGER: 1
Q-BRIDGE-MIB::dot1qTpFdbPort.20.'......' = INTEGER: 18
:
:
-----------------

TIA
soba
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Soba,

I had the same issue while scanning Cisco 1200 AP's. Everything else was as it should have been, but the MAC address MIB was not populated.

TheWitness

torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

cigamit wrote:Just to ensure that everyone is on the same page, here are the latest changes that were made the other day.
^

Just tested the new version:

Code: Select all

DEBUG: Waiting on 0 to complete prior to exiting.
DEBUG: Interum IP addresses to MAC addresses association pass complete.
DEBUG: Finished transferring scan results to main table.
DEBUG: Finished updating site table with collection statistics.
02/07/2006 01:13:04 PM - SYSTEM MACTRACK STATS: Time:1880.7787 ConcurrentProcesses:7 Devices:195 
Seems that IP-address lookup works.
- Still no domain-lookup
- still no device in the IP-Site-Report

Torsten
Attachments
mac1.gif
mac1.gif (16.03 KiB) Viewed 5863 times
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

OUCH! I updated my installation and, inadvertantly, cleaned out all of my mactrack data (sites, devices, everything).

I have a recent enough cacti dump - full database - to get the devices and sites and device types back... can anyone tell me how to go about that?

Obviously I don't want to overwrite the entire DB, the dump is less than two weeks old but I've made some changes since then in Cacti, in parts other than mactrack.