End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

At the top of the page should be "SNMP Information" - under that you should find it.

My guess is that you have to have a data query or graph associated with the deivce first though... if instead of snmp information you just have an snmp error in red then you have a problem talking to your device (which could be a million different things).
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Larry/cigamit/whomever,

I still am not getting the poller to update mactrack - where can I go to see an error?

GREPing the cacti.log for "mac", I only find:

Code: Select all

01/11/2006 04:10:40 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] SQL: UPDATE mac_track_devices SET ports_total='0',vlans_total='0',ports_active='0',ports_trunk='0',macs_active='0',snmp_readstring='',snmp_sysName='',snmp_sysLocation=' Data Center',snmp_sysContact='',snmp_sysObjectID='.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.502',snmp_sysDescr='Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software   IOS (tm) Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I9S-M), Version 12.2(18)EW2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)  Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport  Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.  Com',snmp_sysUptime='1341760414',snmp_status='4',last_runmessage='ERROR: Device Type Not Found in Device Type Table.',last_rundate='2006-01-11 16:10:29',last_runduration='0.0353' WHERE device_id ='24'
This obviously isn't the problem with it running as scheduled...

Can you also be more specific about what I need to comment out of mactrack_functions.php for the 4006s?
sesquipedalian_id

VLAN Issue

Post by sesquipedalian_id »

Looks like I have things running, but mactrack is only seeing devices on VLAN1 on 2 of the three switches I'm testing on. All switches and routers are Cisco.

As we are in an IP Telephony environment, most of my ports are trunked. Is there a problem with reading trunk ports?

Any thoughts here?

-b
molbech

Post by molbech »

knobdy wrote:
molbech wrote:My point is that a router could be router for more than one site. So the router has to be a member of more than one site.

Maybe i'm doing it wrong
What are you calling a site, could be that you just need to expand your definition. In my case I have a building site, an ecom site (since it's all on its own switch and MSFC) and a couple remote building sites. True, I'm not getting much back from any of them, but that doesn't appear to be a result of router additions/omissions.

Well I see i'm not clear -so here is another try

Mactrack have to have a Site defined - for each site - it's possible to attach routers and/or switchs/hubs - combined this gives the mac/ip/port information.

My point is that when you making this link you set a device to belong to a site in mactrack (on the device tab).

A router could be multi interface switching router - more than one interface per router (as it's the case for me - I'm ISP :-)), and if we have the responsibility of the CPE. This could be split into sections so that we may also include a customers end switches to form a site

I know that i can add each ip interface to mactrack device as device - but this will give X polls per interface per device. The mac table is the same on my routers (i know there are special cases where a router can run a number of virutal routers/switchs, and then this does not apply.)

So to turn it around - i want to add devices to the Site section instead - instead of selecting a site on the device section. And then mactrack should combine the information from the devices.... to a complete site mac/ip/port..

Regards

/M
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Hello all watching this topic. I have some progress to anounce.

1) Added Cisco Voice VLAN's to the product, at least for some classes of Cisco switches. I need someone to test Cisco 4000 and 6500 switches though.
2) I have corrected a problem in mactrack_functions that will now correctly ignore bridge root ports. This is a good thing.
3) Corrected an ignore ports issue with Cabletron Sehi's.

To get the 4 updated files, tonight, you will have to goto the native SVN and get the following 4 files:

mactrack_functions.php
mactrack_cisco.php
mactrack_cabletron.php
mactrack_hp.php

Cigamit will catch up quickly. Again I need testers for switches with IP Phones.

Thanks,

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
sesquipedalian_id

Looks like the new files did the trick; all trunk ports are now reporting VLAN membership!

I'll keep working on getting access to a 6500; with this being a holiday in most circles, it may take me a day or two extra.

Thanks, Witnesss!

-b
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Cigamit around today?!
sesquipedalian_id

Looks like the VLAN changes work on 3500-series Cisco switches, but not 2950-series.

Witness, I have a few if you'd like to test; IM me and I'll make it happen.

Thanks!

-b
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

I think the reason my mactack poller wasn't being kicked off is because I somehow missed the fact that I was supposed to change, in my cron job, from cacti's poller script to mactrack's. Correct?

I tried that and it doesn't work... but running the poller from the command line doesn't produce an error - just simply exits. Are there troubleshooting flags I could use to see what its doing?
vedd99

DNS reverse lookups

Post by vedd99 »

I get the following errors when DNS reverse lookups are enabled (running code from SVN):

Jan 16 15:04:57 gentoo Cacti[27982]: CMDPHP: ERROR: SQL Assoc Failed "SELECT * F
ROM mac_track_temp_ports WHERE ip_address != '' AND dns_hostname = ''"

Any ideas? The error message repeats over and over again.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

What version of MySQL?
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Also, if you have MySQL Query Browser, paste the syntax into the query window and run, please post the error.

TheWitness

knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Any more thoughts on my issue(s) TheWitness? I think your previous post might clear most of them up with the 4000s and 4006s - just waiting for the plugin update. Maybe my issue with getting mactrack scheduled is also a part of the plugin?

ANd do I have to wait for a plugin update or are all of these updated files tweaked for it?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

The poller call's MacTrack, you need not schedule anything. Check the mac_track_processes table for entries, if it's got some old one's in there, it wont clear them out until just before the next polling cycle.

TheWitness

knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Hmm...maybe I'm not understanding - or stating - it correctly.

They only thing I currently have scheduled in cron now is Cacti's poller (poller.php).

I was under the impression that I would replace that line with mactracks (poller_mactrack.php) which would then call Cacti's or just do it all.

The "scheduling" I specifically meant in that last post was the mactrack schedule from within Cacti/Settings/Device Tracking page.

The only way I've ever gotten data collected is by running poller_mactrack.php manually with the "-f" option.

That make more sense?