Monitor Vmware ESX

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

ymartin59

Re: graph free

Post by ymartin59 »

mhtrim wrote:But graph debug says:

Code: Select all

ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti-0.8.6j/rra/esx1_esxdisk_kbread_3185.rrd': 
Any ideas?
It sounds like a file permission issue (not related to ESX template).
Check that the user running your Apache server (httpd, apache or www-data) has permissions to write into the directory /usr/share/cacti-0.8.6j/rra/ and the crontab entry use the same user to invoke the poller.
ymartin59

Post by ymartin59 »

TheWitness wrote: Have you overcome issues with reindexing? My guess is that the wrong field is being used as the index field, which would cause the issues that you experienced.
TheWitness
No, I still have troubles with re-indexing. To sum-up, even "Verify all fields" has no effect when MIB tree changes on the ESX server, I need to force re-index manually and clear the poller cache.

The 4 ESX templates I have written use a string description - for instance VM name for CPU - as index to keep track of CPU even if the index in MIB tree or the VM ID (like a process ID for ESX) changes. That is important because the index in tree (or the VM ID) effectively changes often when a VM is added, started or stopped or after a host reboot. By the way, the VM ID changes not so often compared to the MIB index.

May you please have a look to the following files delivered here in the latest zip ?
Only "script_server/vmware_cpu.xml" and "scripts/ss_vmware_cpu.php" will be enough for you to understand and check my implementation.
I mainly got inspiration from "host_disk.xml" and "ss_host_disk.php"

So you think this part should be corrected ?

<index_order>vmDisplayName:vmID:vmIndex</index_order>
 <index_order_type>numeric</index_order_type>
Thank you in advance for your help
thechicco

Post by thechicco »

Not working for me either.

This was previously working under Linux cacti but not under Windows cacti. Not changed anything on the ESX host.

ymartin59

Post by ymartin59 »

thechicco wrote: This was previously working under Linux cacti but not under Windows cacti. Not changed anything on the ESX host.
What is the output of verbose query ?
thechicco

Post by thechicco »

It's weird because the ESX host memory usage works, just none of the VM stuff.

Data Query Debug Information
+ Running data query [14].
+ Found type = '6 '[script query].
+ Found data query XML file at 'c:/Inetpub/wwwroot/cacti/resource/script_server/vmware_net.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing script for list of indexes 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] index'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query index'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query netreference'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query netname'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query ifaddr'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query displayname'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query vmid'
+ Found data query XML file at 'c:/Inetpub/wwwroot/cacti/resource/script_server/vmware_net.xml'
mhtrim

Re: graph free

Post by mhtrim »

ymartin59 wrote:
mhtrim wrote:But graph debug says:

ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti-0.8.6j/rra/esx1_esxdisk_kbread_3185.rrd': 
Any ideas?
It sounds like a file permission issue (not related to ESX template).
Check that the user running your Apache server (httpd, apache or www-data) has permissions to write into the directory /usr/share/cacti-0.8.6j/rra/ and the crontab entry use the same user to invoke the poller.
Directory has the right permissions, (770 www-data:www-data). Poller runs as www-data in crontab.

Aside from that, permissions don't really seem to be the issue. I'm monitoring around 70 servers with cacti and all the other graphs work, including all the new graphs for the esx server except for the VM graphs.

Still stumped.

It looks like it's getting the snmp data properly, but it just can't build the graphs. This is using cacti-0.8.6j, btw.
Attachments
cacti1.jpg
cacti1.jpg (57.29 KiB) Viewed 22692 times
cacti2.jpg
cacti2.jpg (97.49 KiB) Viewed 22692 times
gru

ESX 3.0

Post by gru »

Hello everyone,

I've read that this template ist for ESX 2.5? Is it also usable for ESX 3.0?

Thanks in advance,
regards,
Johannes
thierry.chich

Post by thierry.chich »

Are you sure that you can access your file (right management problem) ?
thierry.chich

Post by thierry.chich »

thechicco wrote:It's weird because the ESX host memory usage works, just none of the VM stuff.

+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing script for list of indexes 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] index'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query index'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query netreference'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_vmware_net.php t2-esx-06.travel2.com 9 2:161:500:n0rmanb0b:::MD5::[None] query netname'
It looks typical for me. You don't have enabled the subagent snmp (see the webmanagement of your ESX).
kevin79

Errors

Post by kevin79 »

I'm having problems with this template. My cacti box is running on Windows Server 2003.

I'm not getting anything for any of the VM's. (See images below)

The queries seem to be finding something (see below)

But if I do a verbose query, I get the following errors:
Notice: Undefined index: script_function in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\lib\utility.php on line 159

Notice: Undefined index: script_function in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\lib\utility.php on line 159

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\lib\utility.php:159) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\host.php on line 77

Any idea what my problem might be?
Attachments
vm_cpu_util.png
vm_cpu_util.png (16.68 KiB) Viewed 21996 times
vm_disk.png
vm_disk.png (19.09 KiB) Viewed 21996 times
vm_memory.png
vm_memory.png (16.29 KiB) Viewed 21996 times
vm_traffic.png
vm_traffic.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 21996 times
queries.jpg
queries.jpg (60.26 KiB) Viewed 21996 times
thierry.chich

Re: Errors

Post by thierry.chich »

kevin79 wrote:I'm having problems with this template. My cacti box is running on Windows Server 2003.

I'm not getting anything for any of the VM's. (See images below)

The queries seem to be finding something (see below)
Same answer than previously : are you sure you have enabled the subagent snmp (see the webmanagement of your ESX) ?.
But if I do a verbose query, I get the following errors:
I don't know exactly what is in utility.php, but you should have a template that use a function in this file. Perhaps you don't have a up-to-date version of cacti ?
SinoPeach

Post by SinoPeach »

I only get this:

Running data query [10].
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/cacti/resource/script_server/vmware_cpu.xml'
+ Error parsing XML file into an array.
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/cacti/resource/script_server/vmware_cpu.xml'

Error parsing.

The main ESX host memory query works fine.... I have copied the files twice to make sure if was not a binary/ascii upload issue...

Any ideas anyone?

RF.
kevin79

Re: Errors

Post by kevin79 »

thierry.chich wrote:Same answer than previously : are you sure you have enabled the subagent snmp (see the webmanagement of your ESX) ?.
I believe so. How do I check to be certain?
I don't know exactly what is in utility.php, but you should have a template that use a function in this file. Perhaps you don't have a up-to-date version of cacti ?
Yes, I just upgraded to version 0.8.6j. I only get the utility.php error when I try to work with the ESX host. All of my other templates are fine.
thechicco

Post by thechicco »

thierry.chich wrote:
thechicco wrote:It's weird because the ESX host memory usage works, just none of the VM stuff.

+ XML file parsed ok.
It looks typical for me. You don't have enabled the subagent snmp (see the webmanagement of your ESX).
I do have the snmpd agent started. No configuration has changed on the ESX server, I was monitoring VM's, etc with it previously with a Linux Cacti build and all I've done is move across to a Windows Cacti build (because of the WMI stuff) and it's ceased working. :(
acacord

SNMPd Config

Post by acacord »

Would someone be so kind as to post a copy of their snmpd.conf file for reference?