GPS Maps for Cacti

Announcements concerning Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

dewadragoon

Re: GPS Maps for Cacti

Post by dewadragoon »

Hi all,

I am using 0.8.7g + PIA 2.9 + GPSMAP 1.53.

I manage to show up the host/AP but i can not view the coverage area, i have click the 'IP Analysis with Coverage' but no coverage show up.

Any idea ?
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Re: Re:

Post by spiffydudex »

lany wrote:Hello

I´m having this problem to. I think it might have something with the representation of float values i mysql since the exact same thing happens if I try to edit the fields "manually" i the database. If I store the values as decimal I can type in what I want into the database field but not when type is float. Did anyone solve this problem?

Best regards
Lars
zeosez wrote:Hi, I need some help. I install gsm map plugin. Its shows map after adding lat/log but when I add Lat / Log in host device to show host on map, for example ( I use http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html for get the coordinates)
lat : -4.628652
log: 55.448424

And save it and check the map, its not shown there, then i check the host coordinates.
coordinates automatically change or you can say adds additional numbers at the end.
lat : -4.6286520958
log: 55.4484242930

can anyone help me out what have i done wrong.
I can not able to add even single host.

thanks in advance

Here is the fix for the float issues. Remember, always make a backup before you run any database commands.

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE `host` CHANGE COLUMN latitude latitude DECIMAL(13,10) NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE `host` ALTER COLUMN latitude SET DEFAULT "0.0000000000";
ALTER TABLE `host` CHANGE COLUMN longitude longitude DECIMAL(13,10) NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE `host` ALTER COLUMN longitude SET DEFAULT "0.0000000000";

niobe wrote:
spiffydudex wrote: I am still developing and adding features. Its been a while since the 1.53 release and the leftover unfinished business has bugging me. Like you mentioned, I am still having issues with the console tab still being highlighted. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing that problem. My code is practically identical to that of the THold plugin.
Hi Andy,

Well I have fixed this problem. In gpsmap.php, change this:

include_once("./include/top_header.php");
to this:

include_once("./include/top_graph_header.php");
The side effect of this is that GPSMap no longer displays the console menu down the side, but not sure that's what was intended. The overall reason is that cacti is basically divided into console pages/functions and graph pages/functions and the plugin architecture architecture tends to assume you are using the graph pages.

Great to hear you are still developing. I would love to see two things: grouping by host template, and kml export.
For example a sidebar with checkboxes for each host template, and perhaps a hostname filter, and then an export function.
This will enable us to dynamically create and export different network views, say a wireless map for public access, and a switch map for internal use.

cheers!

N

Thank you SO MUCH. I'll add in a quick link to the template management from the gpsmaps page to rectify the lack of the console menus.
dewadragoon wrote:Hi all,
I manage to show up the host/AP but i can not view the coverage area, i have click the 'IP Analysis with Coverage' but no coverage show up.
Any idea ?
People have had hit/miss problems with the map functions. Define a host template as an access point. Then everything within the same subnet should be checked for distance and it should draw a circle around the access points. This system does not work for hosts spread across subnets. 1.6(not out yet) rectifies this and provides grouping capabilities. If you have cross subnet needs, just be patient. I only have 2 weeks left of school! (crunch time!)
dewadragoon

Re: Re:

Post by dewadragoon »

spiffydudex wrote:
lany wrote:Hello

I´m having this problem to. I think it might have something with the representation of float values i mysql since the exact same thing happens if I try to edit the fields "manually" i the database. If I store the values as decimal I can type in what I want into the database field but not when type is float. Did anyone solve this problem?

Best regards
Lars
zeosez wrote:Hi, I need some help. I install gsm map plugin. Its shows map after adding lat/log but when I add Lat / Log in host device to show host on map, for example ( I use http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html for get the coordinates)
lat : -4.628652
log: 55.448424

And save it and check the map, its not shown there, then i check the host coordinates.
coordinates automatically change or you can say adds additional numbers at the end.
lat : -4.6286520958
log: 55.4484242930

can anyone help me out what have i done wrong.
I can not able to add even single host.

thanks in advance

Here is the fix for the float issues. Remember, always make a backup before you run any database commands.

ALTER TABLE `host` CHANGE COLUMN latitude latitude DECIMAL(13,10) NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE `host` ALTER COLUMN latitude SET DEFAULT "0.0000000000";
ALTER TABLE `host` CHANGE COLUMN longitude longitude DECIMAL(13,10) NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE `host` ALTER COLUMN longitude SET DEFAULT "0.0000000000";

niobe wrote:
spiffydudex wrote: I am still developing and adding features. Its been a while since the 1.53 release and the leftover unfinished business has bugging me. Like you mentioned, I am still having issues with the console tab still being highlighted. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing that problem. My code is practically identical to that of the THold plugin.
Hi Andy,

Well I have fixed this problem. In gpsmap.php, change this:

include_once("./include/top_header.php");
to this:

include_once("./include/top_graph_header.php");
The side effect of this is that GPSMap no longer displays the console menu down the side, but not sure that's what was intended. The overall reason is that cacti is basically divided into console pages/functions and graph pages/functions and the plugin architecture architecture tends to assume you are using the graph pages.

Great to hear you are still developing. I would love to see two things: grouping by host template, and kml export.
For example a sidebar with checkboxes for each host template, and perhaps a hostname filter, and then an export function.
This will enable us to dynamically create and export different network views, say a wireless map for public access, and a switch map for internal use.

cheers!

N

Thank you SO MUCH. I'll add in a quick link to the template management from the gpsmaps page to rectify the lack of the console menus.
dewadragoon wrote:Hi all,
Any idea ?
People have had hit/miss problems with the map functions. Define a host template as an access point. Then everything within the same subnet should be checked for distance and it should draw a circle around the access points. This system does not work for hosts spread across subnets. 1.6(not out yet) rectifies this and provides grouping capabilities. If you have cross subnet needs, just be patient. I only have 2 weeks left of school! (crunch time!)
Thanks for your fast response, actually i already define generic-host-snmp host template to be use as AP, but for testing purpose i only create 1 host as AP. Should i create several host on the same subnet and on certain distance from my first AP in order the coverage to be shown ?
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

Thanks for your fast response, actually i already define generic-host-snmp host template to be use as AP, but for testing purpose i only create 1 host as AP. Should i create several host on the same subnet and on certain distance from my first AP in order the coverage to be shown ?
Yeah, put like 2-3 within the same subnet. Just something other than the generic-host-snmp template as that template is defined as the "AP" template.
dewadragoon

Post by dewadragoon »

spiffydudex wrote:
Yeah, put like 2-3 within the same subnet. Just something other than the generic-host-snmp template as that template is defined as the "AP" template.
Thanks, it's working now.
dewadragoon

Post by dewadragoon »

One more thing, how do i setup certain radius for the coverage ? let say i want the distance coverage to be fix in 100 meter..

thanks.
fl0rinc

Post by fl0rinc »

It is possible to implement a way to draw lines between points (equipments) to be able to have a better picture of the network map.

Thanks.

You do a great job.
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

Currently no, however that sounds like a good feature to have in a future version. I am trying to avoid feature creep and get a working version out. I graduate tomorrow! (Whoo hoo!) So, I'll be finishing up the new 1.6 version shortly after (within the week).

I'm thinking I need to setup a bug/feature tracker for GPSMaps.
yassine

Post by yassine »

Hey!
first Thx a lot for this usefull plugin! i would like to ask about some problems that i had! i use the last version of GPS MAPS and when i add equipement it gives me Longitude and lantitude but on the map there is no Host added. So How Can i Add host on my map to see the host's status ( Up,Down recovering) .
NB: i m a beginner in this field
lany

Post by lany »

Hi

Is the 1.6 version availible for download somewhere?

/Lars
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

OK guys, Version 1.62

I have spent my fair share of hours on this side-project of mine. I feel this will be the last major version put out by me. My need for this piece of software ended two years ago and now my passion to continue major updates has faded. However, I will provide updates to the code as bugs or small usability features arise.(I know there will be a few)

First off, I cannot stress this enough.
******CAUTION********
Version 1.62 is PIA standards compliant! This means if you uninstall the plugin IT WILL REMOVE YOUR GPS DATA.
Always backup your database before installing or removing this plugin!
******CAUTION********

Now that that is out of the way. I have tried performing some upgrade installations and they seem to work out smoothly. However, we are using computers and crazy things sometimes happen.

As far as added features is concerned, I believe I added almost everything except for the weather overlays. The more I kept digging into weather the more complicated it got. All the weather code is still left in there if you want to play around with it.

A few things to note that might be confusing.
A device type must be set to AP in the map templates in order for any of the AP settings in the device properties to show up.
The radius, whatever odd reason, Google starts the 0 degree where at the top of the circle. (You'll understand)
The radius will accept negative inputs. So if you have Start: -15 and Stop: 0, it will work.
All devices are set to group 0 by default. You can have up to 999 different groups.

I am not responsible for your data. I have tested this software, but like any software I cannot test for every condition.

Have at it!
Download now available at: http://spiffdev.com/downloads/gpsmaps-downloads

Changelog:

Version 1.62
-Changed the processing of points. 
-Reduced some DB queries by half.
-Thanks to Nate for the tabs
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-API/browse_thread/thread/b023708935be9392/ae9ca67ef4e8b136%3Fshow_docid=ae9ca67ef4e8b136
-Nodes close to each other are grouped into tabs. There is a threshold setting for this. 
-One bug is that the nodes put into the tabs are not removed form the map.
-In Map template creator. You can now edit the templates.
-Allowed for Multiple host types to be designated as APs
-Hides AP options when not applicable to the device.
-Customizable refresh interval
-Can define a group for each device. All devices by default are in group 0.
-Can set the angle of the overlay to have a directed overlay map
-Automatic Overlays will only use the devices in their group to determine distance.
-If you don't want automatic radius distance, you can directly control the radius of the overlay around a single AP
-Changed several DB Columns to Decimal instead of Float for greater precision
-Thanks to Niobe, the annoying bug that dealt with the GPSMaps tab not turning read has been fixed.
-Map is now almost full screen due to fix.
-The 1.6 code base in general has been rewritten and sorted out to provide easier following of execution path.
-******CAUTION********
-Version 1.62 is more PIA standards compliant! This means if you uninstall the plugin IT WILL REMOVE YOUR GPS DATA.
-Always backup your database before installing or removing this plugin!
-******CAUTION********
-Sorry for the long wait!
yassine

Post by yassine »

Thx For this Last Version Spiffydudex. But i Have the same Problem that i had with V 1.53: I have added my hosts , my XML File is populated but no host is shown in the map...it's a Big problem for me! Plz Need Help
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

yassine wrote:Thx For this Last Version Spiffydudex. But i Have the same Problem that i had with V 1.53: I have added my hosts , my XML File is populated but no host is shown in the map...it's a Big problem for me! Plz Need Help
Centos is a server OS. the default install of firefox may have certain security settings pre-configured. Try google Chrome and see if that helps or try connecting to the cacti install from another machine. There isn't much else I can do to help your predicament.
pocobor

Post by pocobor »

2spiffydudex:

thanks for plugin!
migration to API v3 coming soon?
pocobor

Post by pocobor »

This slightly modified gpsmap,php (based on v1.62) adds a "find" feature for gps maps
Attachments
gpsmap.zip
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 199 times