RELEASED: < 1 Minute to 5 Minute Polling Interval Patch

Important information about Cacti developments that all users should be interested in.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

ashfieldm

Post by ashfieldm »

To have the 1 minute polling or preferably 30 second polling, what steps do I need to take? Do I have to adjust my cronning?
ashfieldm

Post by ashfieldm »

I guess what I'm really wondering is what is the difference between:
Poller Interval and Cron Interval?
ashfieldm

Post by ashfieldm »

One more addition to this...

If I have exisiting rrd's for devices from 0.86j (ie, 5 minute polling) and want to start using 1 minute or 30 second polling, do I need to blow away my old data sources and start from scratch??
ashfieldm

Post by ashfieldm »

Anyone able to help me out on this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

This feature is not yet available for "public use" because there are some drawbacks that really require deeper knowledge of rrdtool and cacti. We are going to make it easier in upcoming releases. But that's for sure (because it's given by rrdtool): the step size (aka polling interval) of a given rrd file will never be changed
Reinhard
ashfieldm

Post by ashfieldm »

It won't be changed? That seems confusing (sorry for my newbie-ness). If you define the step size as 5 minutes for an rrd then start using 1 minute polling, wouldn't that mess things up?

Anyways, if there was any recommendations on how to do this, I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig for following those instructions as I'd really like to get this working.

Thanks for the reply.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

ashfieldm wrote:It won't be changed? That seems confusing (sorry for my newbie-ness). If you define the step size as 5 minutes for an rrd then start using 1 minute polling, wouldn't that mess things up?
Sure. I meant exactly this. But rrdtool does not allow to change step size, full stop. So you must decide which polling interval to use at graph generation time. Once this has been set, no change no more. Only delete and re-create.
Reinhard
ashfieldm

Post by ashfieldm »

Sorry for all the questions...but...

To use say, 30 second polling, do I have to change cron jobs? Or does selecting this at graph generation time do this for me?

Thanks
jrohr

Post by jrohr »

Hello,

We are running a Cacti appliance (rPath Virtual Machine). I attempted to install the patch and now Cacti is broke. I made a backup of all files that were replaced but after restoring the original files I can only get to the login screen, I cannot login.

Do I have to remove the Virtual Machine and start over? Or is there another way to fix this issue?

Any ideas would be helpful.

jrohr
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Sorry, but The Cacti Group does not support the rPath Appliance (we simply do not know it). Please contact your local service representative.
Reinhard
ashfieldm

Post by ashfieldm »

I'm still looking at doing less than 5 minute polling and was hoping for some sort of instructions/howto on this. All my rrds are existing ones created with a 5 minute step period and my cron job is cronned at 5 minutes as well. Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Your existing RRDs can not be updated to work with this, as the "step" is hard coded in there and unchangeable.
ashfieldm

Post by ashfieldm »

So then I have to create new rrd's for this correct?

How do set my crons if some of my new rrds are 5 minute step intervals and othes are say, 30 second or 1 minute? Or will rrd sort that out?

Thanks
kharford
Cacti User

Post by kharford »

Okay, sorry to reopen this thread.

I have upgraded my cacti install from 0.8.6* to 0.8.7a

Now I want to turn 1 min polling on and from what I have read the old RRD's will never show the 1 min output because of the hardcoded step.

With that in mind I have 2 questions:

1. I have to recreate all my RRD's to take advantage of the 1 min poll, is that correct?

2. How do I display all my historical RRD data once I recreate the graphs?

Thanks

:-?
padawan

Post by padawan »

Hi!

i tried to make as tekbot said in page 7 but it doesnt work I got no graph and this error in cacti log :
CMDPHP: Poller[0] ERROR: Either there are no items in the cache or polling is disabled
dont understand why i do the same as it is explain in the pdf and tekbot tuto.

help plz :p (i use it on cacti 0.8.6j for HP Cpu graph with HP template provide in the forum)
[Debian]
cacti 0.8.7b
nagios 3
ndoutils 1.4b7
cacti PA 2.1
npc 2.1.151
php5 5.2.0-8+etch10
libmysqlclient15-dev 5.0.32-7etch5
mysql-server 5.0.32-7etch5
php5-mysql 5.2.0-8+etch10