URGENT: Host Disk and CPU Issues in 0.8.6g

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

fanu

Post by fanu »

Hello,

I have the same issue with CPU Utilization. I copy the 4 new files, and I've got the following log:
10/11/2005 09:50:04 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] ERROR: PHP Script Server communications lost, attempting to close and restart
10/11/2005 09:50:04 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[169] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
10/11/2005 09:50:02 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] ERROR: PHP Script Server communications lost, attempting to close and restart
10/11/2005 09:50:02 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[25] DS[173] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...

If I select "Get Script Data (Indexed)" for data template Host MIB - CPU Utilization , the problem disappear, but I think it's bad ...

Thanks for your help.

Fanu.
adrianmarsh
Cacti User

Post by adrianmarsh »

JSpecMugen, fanu

Do you see a hanging php.exe process on the PC (try using systinternals Process Explorer to see this).

TheWitness spotted a number of issues in my PHP setup where php.exe hung when the cpu and disk .php scripts were running.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Fanu,

What version of Cactid?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

1) Clear your poller cache
2) View the poller cache, look for the line that begins with "Action 2:"
3) Copy and past a few of the lines to this post.

Larry
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
fanu

Post by fanu »

The Witness,

I'm running cactid version 0.8.6e. Is it a problem ? I do not update to 0.8.6f version because it's not yet in FreeBSD ports (Ok, ok i'm feignant :wink: )

/usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk toto.tata.com 25 2:161:500:community:::MD5::[None] get used 5

Thanks for your help !

Fanu.
fanu

Post by fanu »

I've just load cactid 0.8.6f, and it's not better. The error is different, he SCRIPT SERVER does not seem to hang now, but here is the log :
10/12/2005 09:40:04 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[177] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
10/12/2005 09:40:04 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[176] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
10/12/2005 09:40:04 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[175] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
10/12/2005 09:40:04 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[167] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
10/12/2005 09:40:04 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[177] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
10/12/2005 09:40:04 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[176] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
10/12/2005 09:40:04 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[175] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
10/12/2005 09:40:04 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[24] DS[167] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...

Thanks for your help.

Fanu.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

fanu,

A few things:

1) Between polling cycles, turn logging to DEBUG
2) Open a command prompt/shell
3) cd to the cactid binary directory
4) run ./cactid 24 24
6) post your results

TheWitness

fanu

Post by fanu »

The Witness,

Here is the debug :

CACTID: Using cactid config file [cactid.conf]
CACTID: DEBUG: The path_php_server variable is /usr/www/https/cacti/script_server.php
CACTID: DEBUG: The path_cactilog variable is /var/log/cacti.log
CACTID: DEBUG: The log_destination variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The path_php variable is /usr/local/bin/php
CACTID: DEBUG: The availability_method variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_recovery_count variable is 3
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_failure_count variable is 2
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_method variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_retries variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_timeout variable is 1000
CACTID: DEBUG: The log_perror variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The log_pwarn variable is 0
CACTID: DEBUG: The log_pstats variable is 0
CACTID: DEBUG: The threads variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The polling interval is the system default
CACTID: DEBUG: The number of concurrent processes is 5
CACTID: DEBUG: The script timeout is 30
CACTID: DEBUG: StartHost='24', EndHost='24', TotalPHPScripts='10'
CACTID: DEBUG: The PHP Script Server is Required
CACTID: DEBUG: The Maximum SNMP OID Get Size is 10
CACTID: CACTID: Version 0.8.6f starting
CACTID: MYSQL: Connecting to MySQL database 'cacti' on 'localhost'...
CACTID: MYSQL: Connected to MySQL database 'cacti' on 'localhost'...
CACTID: CACTID: Initializing Net-SNMP API
CACTID: CACTID: Initializing PHP Script Server
CACTID: DEBUG: PHP Script Server Routine Starting
CACTID: DEBUG: PHP Script Server About to FORK Child Process
CACTID: DEBUG: PHP Script Server Child FORK Success
CACTID: DEBUG: Confirmed PHP Script Server Running.
CACTID: DEBUG: PHP Script Server Child FORK Success
CACTID: DEBUG: Parent pid=32039, Script Server pid=32040
CACTID: DEBUG: Initial Value of Active Threads is 0
CACTID: DEBUG: Valid Thread to be Created
CACTID: DEBUG: The Value of Active Threads is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: In Poller, About to Start Polling of Host
CACTID: Host[0] DEBUG: HOST COMPLETE: About to Exit Host Polling Thread Function
CACTID: DEBUG: The Value of Active Threads is 0
CACTID: DEBUG: Valid Thread to be Created
CACTID: DEBUG: The Value of Active Threads is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: In Poller, About to Start Polling of Host
CACTID: Host[24] PING Result: ICMP: Host is Alive
CACTID: Host[24] SNMP Result: Host responded to SNMP
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: update host set status='3',status_event_count='0', status_fail_date='0000-00-00 00:00:00',status_rec_date='0000-00-00 00:00:00',status_last_error='',min_time='0.383500',max_time='9.315960',cur_time='0.494955',avg_time='0.813090',total_polls='216',failed_polls='0',availability='100.0000' where id='24'

CACTID: Host[24] RECACHE: Processing 3 items in the auto reindex cache for 'labs.esi-supinfo.com'
CACTID: Host[24] DS[169] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
CACTID: Host[24] DS[169] SERVER: /usr/local/bin/php -q /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/query_host_cpu.php labs.esi-supinfo.com sisdsnmp 2 get usage 0, output: U
CACTID: Host[24] DS[170] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
CACTID: Host[24] DS[170] SERVER: /usr/local/bin/php -q /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/query_host_cpu.php labs.esi-supinfo.com sisdsnmp 2 get usage 1, output: U
CACTID: Host[24] DS[167] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
CACTID: Host[24] DS[167] SERVER: /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk labs.esi-supinfo.com 24 2:161:500:sisdsnmp:::MD5::[None] get total 2, output: U
CACTID: ERROR: PHP Script Server communications lost.
CACTID: DEBUG: PHP Script Server Shutdown Started
CACTID: Host[24] DS[175] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
CACTID: Host[24] DS[175] SERVER: /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk labs.esi-supinfo.com 24 2:161:500:sisdsnmp:::MD5::[None] get total 3, output: U
CACTID: Host[24] DS[176] WARNING: Could not call script server
CACTID: Host[24] DS[177] WARNING: Could not call script server
CACTID: Host[24] DS[167] WARNING: Could not call script server
CACTID: Host[24] DS[175] WARNING: Could not call script server
CACTID: Host[24] DS[168] SNMP: v2: labs.esi-supinfo.com, dsname: traffic_in, oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.65539, value: 3677412987
CACTID: Host[24] DS[168] SNMP: v2: labs.esi-supinfo.com, dsname: traffic_out, oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.65539, value: 266688354
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: INSERT INTO poller_output (local_data_id,rrd_name,time,output) VALUES (168,'traffic_in','2005-10-12 12:01:35','3677412987'),(168,'traffic_out','2005-10-12 12:01:35','266688354'),(169,'cpu','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(170,'cpu','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(167,'hdd_total','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(175,'hdd_total','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(176,'hdd_total','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(177,'hdd_total','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(167,'hdd_used','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(175,'hdd_used','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(176,'hdd_used','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U'),(177,'hdd_used','2005-10-12 12:01:35','U')
CACTID: Host[24] DEBUG: HOST COMPLETE: About to Exit Host Polling Thread Function
CACTID: DEBUG: The Value of Active Threads is 0
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: replace into settings (name,value) values ('date',NOW())
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: insert into poller_time (poller_id, start_time, end_time) values (0, NOW(), NOW())
CACTID: DEBUG: Thread Cleanup Complete
CACTID: DEBUG: PHP Script Server Pipes Closed
CACTID: DEBUG: Allocated Variable Memory Freed
CACTID: CACTID: Shutting down Net-SNMP API
CACTID: DEBUG: MYSQL Free & Close Completed
CACTID: Time: 2.1371 s, Threads: 1, Hosts: 2

Thanks a lot for your help.

Fanu.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

So, here is your problem. It is likely that your script server is throwing errors causing an I/O problem. Here are the relevant error messages:
CACTID: Host[24] DS[169] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
CACTID: Host[24] DS[169] SERVER: /usr/local/bin/php -q /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/query_host_cpu.php labs.esi-supinfo.com sisdsnmp 2 get usage 0, output: U
CACTID: Host[24] DS[170] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
CACTID: Host[24] DS[170] SERVER: /usr/local/bin/php -q /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/query_host_cpu.php labs.esi-supinfo.com sisdsnmp 2 get usage 1, output: U
CACTID: Host[24] DS[167] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
CACTID: Host[24] DS[167] SERVER: /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk labs.esi-supinfo.com 24 2:161:500:sisdsnmp:::MD5::[None] get total 2, output: U
CACTID: ERROR: PHP Script Server communications lost.
CACTID: Host[24] DS[175] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: ...
CACTID: Host[24] DS[175] SERVER: /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk labs.esi-supinfo.com 24 2:161:500:sisdsnmp:::MD5::[None] get total 3, output: U
CACTID: Host[24] DS[167] WARNING: Could not call script server
CACTID: Host[24] DS[175] WARNING: Could not call script server
Start the script server stand alone and run a few of the commands trough it. Here is the process:

1) Open shell
2) cd to cacti web root
3) run "php <path_cacti>/script_server.php" (you should get no error messages)
4) type the following: "/usr/local/bin/php -q /usr/www/https/cacti/scripts/query_host_cpu.php labs.esi-supinfo.com sisdsnmp 2 get usage 0"
5) hit enter.

If you get any warnings, or anything other than a value returning, then you know that you have an issue. It may be that you have the new XML file and the old host_cpu script. The current scripts are in the http://www.cacti.net/downloads/patches/ ... re-patched directory structure.

TheWitness

fanu

Post by fanu »

Re,

I already patched the files with the correct version. The problem is probably somewhere else. When I launch the script_server.php and paste the command, there is no return : no value but no error too.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Fanu.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Did you rebuild with the most recently released cactid 0.8.6f-1?

Larry

Caliban

Post by Caliban »

I wonder if my issue is the same, I reinstalled the rpm for Cacti 0.8.6G on our test server and applied all the patches and now I'm getting Partial results errors too. But what I've noticed is it only for one check the ucd/net - CPU Usage. All other CPU checks are working.
fanu

Post by fanu »

The Witness,

Yes, I did the update.
I will try to reinstall all on monday, do you have a package with all patches applied ?

Thanks for your help.

Fanu.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

just the normal distribution with the pre-patched files attached.

Larry

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

just the normal distribution with the pre-patched files attached. You should be able to keep your database and just replace the files, clear your poller_cache and you should be set.

Larry