Stupid SNMP error

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Well, the reason for my hesitation, is ping requires certain rights, sometimes running poller as root. Make sure that after changing that setting that all your other hosts are working.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I wrote it, so maybe I should comment. Today, those settings are global. In 0.9, the will be per device. As far as risks go, if an snmp community changes, you polling times could be extended greatly.

Also, if ICMP or the UDP port is question is blocked at some point, Ping may not work. I am happy to say however, we have things planned to take care of both those scenarios.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
kaptk2

Post by kaptk2 »

Great I will be looking forward to .9 that will fix (or at least lessen the effects) the effects that using ping only potentially could cause.

Thanks for the comment and the continued development of Cacti. It is by far the best monitoring program out there!

Still one more question that I have not found an answer to. The SNMP/PING option if one fails will it fall back to the other and assume the host is up. Does it weight one more than the other so if it responds to snmp will the ping still be carried out?

Thanks for all your help rony and TheWitness
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Currently both have to be successful in order to proceed. If snmp fails, there is no need to perform a bunch of snmp pings. I guess we could change that behavior... it's one line of code. But in any event, it will all be left mute in the next release.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?