Switching from CMD.PHP to SPINE now shows gaps in graphs

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

jimcjulsonjr

Re: Switching from CMD.PHP to SPINE now shows gaps in graphs

Post by jimcjulsonjr »

Any words of awesome wisdom here? I'm finding it difficult to believe that something as stable as cacti/spine has issues with so few Datasources. Especially considering this is on very solid hardware with lots of Disk IOPS and all that. I feel like I'm just missing something super easy. I'm wishing I was a systems guy right about now :)
-------------------------------------

VERSION: Cacti 0.8.8b
POLLER: Spine
DATA SOURCES: 100,000K and Growing (Multiple Servers)
PLUGINS: AUTOM8, THOLD, DISCOVER, WEATHERMAP, BOOST, CLOG, NECTAR, MACTRACK, FLOWVIEW, SPIKEKILL, INTROPAGE, MONITOR
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

Yes, log entries which start with the "WEBLOG" token are simply coming from the web-interface itself, i.e. you clicked on a graph, a screen refresh took place ... Nothing to actually take care of.
Greetings,
Phalek
---
Need more help ? Read the Cacti documentation or my new Cacti 1.x Book
Need on-site support ? Look here Cacti Workshop
Need professional Cacti support ? Look here CereusService
---
Plugins : CereusReporting
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

Oh, and:

Enable debug logging and then check for the following entries:

Code: Select all

01/15/2015 05:50:24 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] Host[254] TH[1] Total Time: 15 Seconds
01/15/2015 05:50:19 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] Host[213] TH[1] Total Time: 13 Seconds
01/15/2015 05:50:17 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] Host[253] TH[1] Total Time: 8 Seconds
This should at least provide you with information on how long the polling for a host took. Maybe some are reaching some sort of timeout from time-to-time ?

It may not be cacti related but a bottleneck on the monitored system ( i.e. my Linux boxes have a very(!) low prio on SNMP and tend to simply ignore request coming in when the system load is going high )
Greetings,
Phalek
---
Need more help ? Read the Cacti documentation or my new Cacti 1.x Book
Need on-site support ? Look here Cacti Workshop
Need professional Cacti support ? Look here CereusService
---
Plugins : CereusReporting
jimcjulsonjr

Post by jimcjulsonjr »

phalek wrote:Oh, and:

Enable debug logging and then check for the following entries:

Code: Select all

01/15/2015 05:50:24 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] Host[254] TH[1] Total Time: 15 Seconds
01/15/2015 05:50:19 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] Host[213] TH[1] Total Time: 13 Seconds
01/15/2015 05:50:17 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] Host[253] TH[1] Total Time: 8 Seconds
This should at least provide you with information on how long the polling for a host took. Maybe some are reaching some sort of timeout from time-to-time ?

It may not be cacti related but a bottleneck on the monitored system ( i.e. my Linux boxes have a very(!) low prio on SNMP and tend to simply ignore request coming in when the system load is going high )
So it's all Network gear that I'm polling. And we have other devices that poll these devices just fine, and are graphing. As an example, I graph all of our MPLS Ring network gear with Observium. It uses a PHP Script similar to CMD.PHP, but is wrapped in Python. It is multi-threaded as well. No gaps in the RRD graphs it produces at all. Additionally, if I get down to about 30 devices, and only about 20K Datasources, I can get CMD.PHP to complete within about 120 seconds, and also no gaps....

So this is definitely something with SPINE itself. I am seeing very fast queries with DEBUG output on a per host bases for SPINE compared to CMD.PHP though.
-------------------------------------

VERSION: Cacti 0.8.8b
POLLER: Spine
DATA SOURCES: 100,000K and Growing (Multiple Servers)
PLUGINS: AUTOM8, THOLD, DISCOVER, WEATHERMAP, BOOST, CLOG, NECTAR, MACTRACK, FLOWVIEW, SPIKEKILL, INTROPAGE, MONITOR