graphing gbit interfaces on windows computers?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TobbeJ

graphing gbit interfaces on windows computers?

Post by TobbeJ »

is there a way to graph the network traffic of gigabit network interfaces on a windows compter?

if i have understood things right the windows snmp service only provides 32 bit counters for bytes transferd and that will wrap around too fast during the 5 minute polling interval.
resulting in a graph where the traffic looks too low.

is there a way to work around this?

cacti is running on a linux box and the windows network interface is expected to transfer around 50-60Mb/sec

(the graphs i have now is looks wierd and is cutoff at around 14Mb/sec)
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Have you tried using snmpv2 and 64bit templates?
TobbeJ

Post by TobbeJ »

yes, as far as i can tell windows doesn't provide 64bit counters.
all i get with the 64bit templates is an empty graph.

i also tried to use snmpwalk on the linux box to query the snmp oid used in the 64bit templates and it didn't work (tried different snmp versions)
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Here is the issue, since Microsoft does not currently support 64 bit counters, you will have to poll more frequently for these types of interfaces as 32 bit counters. You also have to make sure that the Maximum value is large enough for your RRD files.

If you want reduce the impact of the introduction of a 1 minute cron, make sure you implement the 1 minute patch and then once done, clear your poller cache to distribute the polling. You should only use the 1 minute graphs for things like this until such time as microsoft conforms to open standards. Note the lower case "microsoft".

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TobbeJ

Post by TobbeJ »

ok.
i looked a little at the 1min patch yesterday, how high speed is the 1min patch able to graph?

50-60Mb/sec should work?