MacTrack and Foundry Networks

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

So, really, they are members of two VLANS?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Tybio
Cacti User

Post by Tybio »

Exactly,

4095 is the RSTP control VLAN, every port on the switch is a member of it. However, is it comes last in the SNMP walk it is "Squashing" the real VLAN of the port. So it would be ideal to just say "Ignore any mention of vlan 4095".
Attachments
example..JPG
example..JPG (26.12 KiB) Viewed 10459 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Ok, put your think generically hat on, is there "any" reason someone would want to know that VLAN 4095 is on a port? I revise the VLAN function to return multiple entries. It screws up the design a little. Comments appreciated.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

TheWitness wrote:Ok, put your think generically hat on, is there "any" reason someone would want to know that VLAN 4095 is on a port? I revise the VLAN function to return multiple entries. It screws up the design a little. Comments appreciated.
One point to note, certainly with Foundry POE switches a port can be configured as "dual-mode" to allow it to be in 2 VLANS. We have this so that an IP Phone plugs into the switchport and the PC then plugs into a port on the phone and the switchport sit's in both the Voice & Data VLAN's.
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

TheWitness wrote:Well right now, if you goto the Main Cacti page and look at how to get access to Cacti SVN, you can take that connection line and change the path from /var/svnroot/cacti to /var/svnroot/mactrack instead. However, please note that I am currently moving it to /var/svnroot/cacti_plugins.

Once downloaded and put in place, you have to run the "database_upgrade.php" script.

TheWitness
OK, I've downloaded and installed from SVN... When I run database_upgrade.php I get the following errors....

PHP Warning: file(http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt): failed to open stream: Connection timed out in /var/www/html/test_cacti/plugins/mactrack/lib/mactrack_functions.php on line 1568
OUI Database Download from IEEE Complete
PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/html/test_cacti/plugins/mactrack/lib/mactrack_functions.php on line 1592
Tybio
Cacti User

Post by Tybio »

msw1970 wrote: One point to note, certainly with Foundry POE switches a port can be configured as "dual-mode" to allow it to be in 2 VLANS. We have this so that an IP Phone plugs into the switchport and the PC then plugs into a port on the phone and the switchport sit's in both the Voice & Data VLAN's.
I would hope not vlan 4095.

From what I've found, vlan 4095 is defined for local switch control use.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

msw1970,

Your firewall is blocking the download of this file. Goto the site and manually download the file. Then I think I provided a function to manually import it. Check the Mactrack directory for something like "mactrack_import_ouidb.php" or something like that.

TheWitness

msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

TheWitness wrote:msw1970,

Your firewall is blocking the download of this file. Goto the site and manually download the file. Then I think I provided a function to manually import it. Check the Mactrack directory for something like "mactrack_import_ouidb.php" or something like that.

TheWitness
Got the file imported.

Been having a good play with this new version on our test setup and I have to say it's looking really good. Just one point, it seems that when the ARP process / DNS resolver manages to get an IP address and/or DNS name I seem to loose the info from the MAC Vendor column. When it doesn't get an IP address the Vendor remains listed... This seems to be consistent across the 70 or so Layer 2 switches I've added so far.

I'm hoping to do some more testing on one of our larger sites tomorrow which consists of approx 5000 user ports!!!!
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Yea, at my last employer with a Quad 3.06GHz Win2003 box and a custom php_snmp.dll file (bulkwalk), I was doing well over 150k ports in 28 minutes.

TheWitness

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Oh, post the problemtic output. Thanks,

TheWitness

chadd
Cacti User

Post by chadd »

msw1970 wrote:Hi

I've written a script file for Foundry FastIron devices that get's the MAC Addresses, Port Names, VLAN ID's and VLAN Names. This all works great.

However, we operate a separate management VLAN for all of our switches and as such, the arp table on the switches only contains details of the gateway and not the IP's of all of the hosts connected. Is there anyway of getting this info and the DNS name of the connected hosts??

Thanks

PS - Attached the script. Place in mactrack/lib folder
Could you please provide all of the settings for the device type that you use with this script? I am not able to get any results using it. I mean, like base oid, device type, and such. Thanks in advance - I am having no luck with my foundry devices at all.
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

chadd wrote:
msw1970 wrote:Hi

I've written a script file for Foundry FastIron devices that get's the MAC Addresses, Port Names, VLAN ID's and VLAN Names. This all works great.

However, we operate a separate management VLAN for all of our switches and as such, the arp table on the switches only contains details of the gateway and not the IP's of all of the hosts connected. Is there anyway of getting this info and the DNS name of the connected hosts??

Thanks

PS - Attached the script. Place in mactrack/lib folder
Could you please provide all of the settings for the device type that you use with this script? I am not able to get any results using it. I mean, like base oid, device type, and such. Thanks in advance - I am having no luck with my foundry devices at all.
Hi

Ok, for a layer 2 fastiron device I used the following....

Description - Foundry FastIron Layer 2
Vendor - Foundry Networks
Device Type - Switch/Hub
System Description Match - Backbone
Vendor SNMP Object ID Match - .1.3.6.1.4.1.1991
MAC Address Scanning Function - get_foundry_switch_ports
IP Address Scanning Function - Not Applicable - Hub/Switch
Serial Number Base OID - .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0
Serial Number Collection Method - SNMP Get
Low User Port Number - 0
High User Port Number - 0

Change System Description Match to FES for a FES and FESX for a FESX!!!

For a Layer 3 device.....

Description - Foundry FastIron Layer 3
Vendor - Foundry Networks
Device Type - Switch/Router
System Description Match - Router
Vendor SNMP Object ID Match - .1.3.6.1.4.1.1991
MAC Address Scanning Function - get_foundry_switch_ports
IP Address Scanning Function - get_standard_arp_table
Serial Number Base OID - .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0
Serial Number Collection Method - SNMP Get
Low User Port Number - 0
High User Port Number - 0

Don't forget to exclude the uplink interfaces when creating your devices or youll report the same MAC Addresses on multiple interfaces.
randco

Post by randco »

Hi,

Just to let you know that Mactrack (SVN version) is ok with Foundry BigIron and fastIron (we've just tested it with one of our customer) : thanks for this great Work !!

However I had to modify the script "mactrack_foundry.php" in order to get the low port/high port fonctionnality working. This is really basic but it adds much of the utility of the script :

L107 :

Code: Select all

if (($highPort == 0) || (($ifIndex >= $lowPort) && ($ifIndex <= $highPort)) ) {
L132 :

Code: Select all

}
Hope this will be included in futures releases...

Dev team of http://www.randco.fr
Attachments
mactrack_foundry-patched.php.txt
Rename it to mactrack_foundry.php
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
screenshot-a.JPG
screenshot-a.JPG (38.88 KiB) Viewed 9177 times
screenshot2-a.JPG
screenshot2-a.JPG (91.13 KiB) Viewed 9177 times
psumike

Post by psumike »

Tybio wrote:
msw1970 wrote: One point to note, certainly with Foundry POE switches a port can be configured as "dual-mode" to allow it to be in 2 VLANS. We have this so that an IP Phone plugs into the switchport and the PC then plugs into a port on the phone and the switchport sit's in both the Voice & Data VLAN's.
I would hope not vlan 4095.

From what I've found, vlan 4095 is defined for local switch control use.
I would also like to filter VLAN 4094, this is the single spanning tree vlan and shows like 4095. How did you remove 4095 so I can apply the same logic to 4094.

Thanks