RELEASED: < 1 Minute to 5 Minute Polling Interval Patch

Important information about Cacti developments that all users should be interested in.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

Hello,

does boost works together with 1min-poller? I found that both change the poller.php file!

Thold in new version does not check the threshold-db - it ueses the rrd-files. So heavy disk load occours.
So I must put 1min poller, thold and boost together....

Does boost work with cactid?

Torsten
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I released a PIA 1.1 version of the 1 Minute Patch. Therefore, yes.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
someone

This post was annoying me

Post by someone »

I really wanted this to work in my cacti, but I was confused. So... Here is what I have found and would like to share with you. One point that seems to be the most confusing.. a PATCH is set of changes to a file, or a set of changed files. I prefer the set of changes TO a file... not changed files. Mainly because sometimes there may be other patches that you want to apply.

Download the 0.8.6j version of cacti. Patch it to your hearts content with the official patches: http://www.cacti.net/download_patches.php I did this earlier today to upgrade from an earlier version of cacti. Then I saw this post and was wondering... cool 1 minute graphs! where is the patch, not these patched files? What is the plug in architecture?... do I need that? Is it already in 0.8.6j? So.. here are the answers.

- Where is this 1 - 5 minute PATCH that is talked about in this http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=16482 post.
Well that is a set of changed files.. NOT a patch to files. So, I won't have any of that business. I have included a PollingIntervalsPatch v8 pia1.1 patch in this post. That will add this new 1 minute polling ability to a standard cacti 0.8.6j install already patched with the cacti plugin 1.1 architecture.

- What is the plug in 1.1 architecture?
It is a set of changes the the 0.8.6 version of cacti that can be either applied as a 'patch' or you can overwrite the files (ugh). Both a PATCH FILE and a set of PATCHED FILES are available in this link.
http://download.cactiusers.org/download ... n-arch.zip

- Do I need the plug in architecture?
You do not need the plug in architecture to run the 1 Minute to 5 Minute Polling Interval Patch.. but since I am I didn't include a PATCH.. you will have to use the set of changed files that TheWitness has included as a zip file called PollingIntervalsPatchv8.zip. It will overwrite any patches that may have been applied previously...

- Is it already in 0.8.6j?
No, the plug in architecture is not automatically included. You have to download the file linked from cactiusers.org above.

Once you get all that in place then you can set up your poller in cron to run every 1 minute and apply the rest of that changes that TheWitness included in his great .pdf file. Maybe this will help others shave some time off of getting this applied.
Attachments
PollingIntervalsPatchv8-pia1.1.patch
This is a set of changes to the files. You need to apply it by copying it into your cacti 0.8.6j install directory and using the unix command 'patch -p1 -N &lt; PollingIntervalsPatchv8-pia1.1.patch' to apply. Just like the official cacti patches.
(11.34 KiB) Downloaded 724 times
Last edited by someone on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
someone
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

So, just that you know, I hate patches (mainly because in a former life I was from Arkansas, the show me state, oh and I'm on Windows. Until a few years ago, I did not know how to spell diff and I have ExamDiff Pro a good diff viewer). I figure that if you are into this thing, that you can figure it out. Glad to see you are contributing to Cacti's future.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
torstentfk
Cacti User

Re: This post was annoying me

Post by torstentfk »

Hi Someone,
someone wrote:Once you get all that in place then you can set up your poller in cron to run every 1 minute and apply the rest of that changes that TheWitness included in his great .pdf file. Maybe this will help others shave some time off of getting this applied.
Do you have a working installtion of this patch and the boost-plugin (boost+1min)? Both make changes to poller.XXX

Torsten
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

As long as you take the PIA 1.1 patch you are all set. This is because the current version of boost does not modify the poller.xxx file. It is the PIA 1.1 that does.

TheWitness

cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

torstentfk wrote:Thold in new version does not check the threshold-db - it ueses the rrd-files. So heavy disk load occours.
Actually, that is backwards. The new version doesn't use the rrd files, while the old one did. Much much faster now.
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

Sorry- mixed up.
the old one is onmy system faster than new one: the old runs within 10-20 seconds. the new one takes over 1 minute.

Torsten
cigamit wrote:
torstentfk wrote:Thold in new version does not check the threshold-db - it ueses the rrd-files. So heavy disk load occours.
Actually, that is backwards. The new version doesn't use the rrd files, while the old one did. Much much faster now.
johngillespie

Post by johngillespie »

Hi,

I've just installed a fresh version of cacti (latest version) and have applied the 1 min polling patch followed by the other patches available on the cacti homepage.

Problem is .... even after having done all the changes indicated in the PDF guide I can't generate any graphs using the 1min polling :/

Cacti doesn't even create the RRA files if I use the 1min polling template but it works fine when using normal 5 min polling

when I launch the poller directly via the terminal sometimes I get the following message :

Code: Select all

CMDPHP: Poller[0] ERROR: Either there are no items in the cache or polling is disabled
any idea where I could have messed up ?

I've checked the config against another server of mine and it seems identical (other server works fine in 1min polling) but I'm not running the latest version on the other server

Are there any compatibility issues around using the 1 min polling patch with the latest version of cacti ?

Regards,

John Gillespie
johngillespie

Post by johngillespie »

If I have messed up the config part, where can I expect to find my mistake ?
johngillespie

Post by johngillespie »

I've got it working, some of the settings were wrong.
jonyhawk

Post by jonyhawk »

Hi,

I'm french so my english isn't very clear. sorry :)

I have a problem. I have installed this patch on cacti 0.8.6.j. Cacti is install with the plugin architecture on a RED HAT EL4. I have follow all the instructions in the .PDF I have created new RRA and duplicate the Data and Graphique Template. I put the contab at 1 min. All work well when I create a graph with 1 min poller in Setting. But When I change de Poller intervale in Setting, nothing is done. My poller is running every 1 min and not every 5 min. So the poller periode don't change and the values in the graph aren"t update every 5 min. I don't understand the interest of this plugin.

Is there any other modifications?

Thx.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

It only affects "new" graphs. Old graphs are locked at 5 minute resolution. Even though you may poll every minute, you will simply get an average of the 5 measurements ever 5 minutes showing on the graph.

TheWitness

tlister

Post by tlister »

TheWitness you rock man! Thanks for an awesome patch to Cacti!

If possible I am having one issue that I have yet to figure out, the 1 min polling works great and my 1 minute graphs are correct; however, all other graphs (not just for interface statistics but other things like "memory") are all spaced out by 5 minutes. I think that is because of the 1 minute polling interval. Is there any way to only show the collected data on those other graphs?

Thanks!

Tim

*EDIT*

My mistake, did not wait long enough. All graphs are working fine... :oops:
Last edited by tlister on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hramirez

Post by hramirez »

cwalton wrote:Did you tick the checkbox next to each data source when you modified the data query? I know I missed that one the first time.
YES!!! That was it!!! I overlooked the screenshot and focused on the text.

On that note, big THANK YOU to TheWitness for writing such a great document. It did not assume anything and guided you step by step on what to do.