MacTrack and Foundry Networks

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

psumike

MacTrack and Foundry Networks

Post by psumike »

Has anyone got mack track to work with foundry switches?

I currently run

FastIron Edge Switches 9604, 2602
FastIron Edge X Switches X424 and X448
FastIron 1500 as a layer 2 and 3 switch

Thanks

Mike Waite
chadd
Cacti User

Post by chadd »

I am in need of this as well. Let me know if you do.

Maybe someone could just tell me what scripts I would need to create and which ones would need to be modified - and if no one else has got mactrack to work with foundry, I will make an attempt.

Larry? ;-).
psumike

Post by psumike »

I have not had a change to really look into this, but I would still love to get it to work.

I am currently running netdisco on a seperate box and would love to combine this into cacti.

Let me know if there is anything I can do you help.

Thanks

Mike
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

I have Foundry devices working using the get_generic_switch_ports scanning functions and defining the devices as switch/router.
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

Hi

I've written a script file for Foundry FastIron devices that get's the MAC Addresses, Port Names, VLAN ID's and VLAN Names. This all works great.

However, we operate a separate management VLAN for all of our switches and as such, the arp table on the switches only contains details of the gateway and not the IP's of all of the hosts connected. Is there anyway of getting this info and the DNS name of the connected hosts??

Thanks

PS - Attached the script. Place in mactrack/lib folder
Attachments
mactrack_foundry.php.txt
(6.17 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

This is cool. So what you need to do is call the device a switch/router in the device types table and then add a arp gathering function in the script attached to populate the mactrack_ip_addresses table with the entries. Include that in you collector function and you should be all set (It may be a little different in practice and that would be a bug), but it's essentially accurate.

TheWitness

ps. Great work BTB.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

TheWitness wrote:This is cool. So what you need to do is call the device a switch/router in the device types table and then add a arp gathering function in the script attached to populate the mactrack_ip_addresses table with the entries. Include that in you collector function and you should be all set (It may be a little different in practice and that would be a bug), but it's essentially accurate.

TheWitness

ps. Great work BTB.
Would it be better to add any arp gathering function to the mactrack_functions.php so that it's available to any vendor specific script??
Tybio
Cacti User

Post by Tybio »

When you get that functionality to look on another device for arp I'd love to see it. We operate in nearly the same manner as you, it would be nice to get the IPs as well.

On another note, I've put the file into /lib under mactrack. How do I get the device type to show up in cacti?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Ok, in the SVN version. I have added, to each device type, the ability to specify a "IP Collection Function". I am also sotring userid/password for those who need it to SSH, etal to the devices. Please see the SVN.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

Tybio wrote:When you get that functionality to look on another device for arp I'd love to see it. We operate in nearly the same manner as you, it would be nice to get the IPs as well.

On another note, I've put the file into /lib under mactrack. How do I get the device type to show up in cacti?
You need to add a line to the mactrack_vendors.php file that is also in the /lib directory.
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

TheWitness wrote:Ok, in the SVN version. I have added, to each device type, the ability to specify a "IP Collection Function". I am also sotring userid/password for those who need it to SSH, etal to the devices. Please see the SVN.

TheWitness
How do I get hold of the SVN version??
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Well right now, if you goto the Main Cacti page and look at how to get access to Cacti SVN, you can take that connection line and change the path from /var/svnroot/cacti to /var/svnroot/mactrack instead. However, please note that I am currently moving it to /var/svnroot/cacti_plugins.

Once downloaded and put in place, you have to run the "database_upgrade.php" script.

TheWitness

msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

TheWitness wrote:Well right now, if you goto the Main Cacti page and look at how to get access to Cacti SVN, you can take that connection line and change the path from /var/svnroot/cacti to /var/svnroot/mactrack instead. However, please note that I am currently moving it to /var/svnroot/cacti_plugins.

Once downloaded and put in place, you have to run the "database_upgrade.php" script.

TheWitness
I don't seem able to access the SVN from here... I guess it's a port problem on our firewalls :(

Any other way of getting it??
Tybio
Cacti User

Post by Tybio »

msw1970 wrote:
You need to add a line to the mactrack_vendors.php file that is also in the /lib directory.
Thanks, going to setup the template now and see what happens :)
Tybio
Cacti User

Post by Tybio »

Right, so after a day of mucking about with the Foundry stuff I've got it working with MLX-16 switches.

I do have some issues however. The primary one is that we run RSTP and STP, so with the Foundry SNMP setup /every port/ is a member of VLAN 4095. That is standard, however when doing the xforms the "Port Vlan" for all ports is reset to 4095 reguardless of what was set before.

It goes like this....

OID.VLAN.-ifIndex- = INTIGER: VLAN

ie:

FOUNDRY-SN-SWITCH-GROUP-MIB::snVLanByPortMemberVLanId.5.17 = INTEGER: 5
FOUNDRY-SN-SWITCH-GROUP-MIB::snVLanByPortMemberVLanId.4095.17 = INTEGER: 4095

I guess, is there an easy way to ignore a vlan number totally? Like you can with a port?

Another interesting point is that for some reason Foundry is still using the type ID of gigabitethernet of 117, so I had to do some ugly stuff in the mactrack_functions.php to get it to see any interfaces.