Report plugin ''ReportIt" - v0.7.5a (released 23/12/11)

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

There 's a problem with v0.3.2, so that I've to deactivate the download until it's fixed.

Sorry
Hat das Blümchen einen Knick, war der Schmetterling zu dick! ;)
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
Download ReportIt | Download SNMPAgent | ReportIt SVN | ReportIt Templates | Wish list
browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

Good morning Cacti community,

After a session of debugging with Thorsten (Skram) it has become apparent that his main problem bases on a fault during the compilation of the php binding.
It's not an issue in v0.3.2, but I've changed one line of code too, so that everybody should reload it who has downloaded v0.3.2 yesterday morning.
I've reactivated the download link and know I'll wake my family up to head off on vacation :D .

See you the week after next.

Best regards
-Andreas-

PS: I've said the same to Thorsten on the phone yesterday: Post your ideas of requirements and improvements!
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
Download ReportIt | Download SNMPAgent | ReportIt SVN | ReportIt Templates | Wish list
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

-Andreas-

I wish you a safe and happy holiday!!!

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
ruud
Cacti User

Post by ruud »

I follw the install doc file but keep running into the same problem.. Apparantly i am missing something..

margraten rrdtool # ./configure --with-rrdtool=/var/db/pkg/net-analyzer/rrdtool-1.2.15-r3 --with-php-config=/usr/bin/php-config
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking if compiler supports -R... no
checking if compiler supports -Wl,-rpath,... yes
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for PHP prefix... /usr/lib/php5
checking for PHP includes... -I/usr/lib/php5/include/php -I/usr/lib/php5/include/php/main -I/usr/lib/php5/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/lib/php5/include/php/Zend -I/usr/lib/php5/include/php/ext
checking for PHP extension directory... /usr/lib/php5/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20050922
checking for PHP installed headers prefix... /usr/lib/php5/include/php
checking for re2c... re2c
checking for re2c version... 0.10.4 (ok)
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for rrdtool support... yes, shared
checking if rrdtool specified path is valid... no
configure: error: The specified RRDTool path is Invalid or the installation is incomplete
Please specify another path or reinstall the rrdtool distribution
The same result if i use /usr/bin/rrdtool
Cacti Version - 0.8.6j
Plugin Architecture - 1.1
Poller Type - Cactid v0.8.6i
Server Info - Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r8
Web Server - Apache
PHP - 5.1.6-pl6-gentoo
PHP Extensions - libxml, xml, standard, SPL, sockets, snmp, session, Reflection, mysql, mcrypt, mbstring, iconv, gettext, gd, dom, dba, date, zlib, pcre, openssl, apache2handler, rrdtool, eAccelerator
MySQL - 5.0.26
RRDTool - 1.2.15
SNMP - 5.4
Plugins
  • Thresholds (thold - v0.3.0)
    Device Monitoring (monitor - v0.7)
    Network Discovery (discovery - v0.7)
    Report Creator (reports - v0.1b)
    Network Tools (tools - v0.2)
    Host Info (hostinfo - v0.1)
    killspike (killspike - v0.1.0a)
Server #1 : Cacti 0.8.7b | cmd.php | HP Proliant DL380 G5 (Dual Core Xeon 3.2 GHz, 14 Gb, 2x73 Gb RAID1 - System + 3x73 Gb RAID5 - SQL/RRA) | Gentoo Linux
_________SYSTEM STATS: Time:114.6022 Method:cmd.php Processes:8 Threads:N/A Hosts:408 HostsPerProcess:51 DataSources:32276 RRDsProcessed:16148
ruud
Cacti User

Post by ruud »

Got it working..

It seems that the plugin doesnt like to source code implemented in the "emerge" system of my gentoo machine.. after downloading and compiling the source code form the rrdtool website the pluging seems to work just fine..
Server #1 : Cacti 0.8.7b | cmd.php | HP Proliant DL380 G5 (Dual Core Xeon 3.2 GHz, 14 Gb, 2x73 Gb RAID1 - System + 3x73 Gb RAID5 - SQL/RRA) | Gentoo Linux
_________SYSTEM STATS: Time:114.6022 Method:cmd.php Processes:8 Threads:N/A Hosts:408 HostsPerProcess:51 DataSources:32276 RRDsProcessed:16148
zeki
Cacti User

Post by zeki »

browniebraun wrote:Hi Cacti community!

>i don't know where the php root is. possibly /var/lib/php? or /usr/lib64/php4?
Take a look at this posting, but you can use "reportit" without php bindings too.
i tried it without php bindings and i got it to report. i was wondering if you can add total in and total out and add them for total in+out to be displayed in reports. i've been looking for this and i think i haven't seen this done yet. i've been looking all over

Also when i'm trying to use the sliding time frame, I get start point is part of future. i have to use the static time frame to correct this.
thanks for the help
Last edited by zeki on Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bengelly
Cacti User

Post by bengelly »

Hi community,

do we really have to install php_bindings with the plugin ? sorry for the next question but what is it for anyway ?

Thanks
mgb
Cacti User

Post by mgb »

-Andreas-

Is it possible to change the names of the datasources. Now we only have the interface name (not even the alias) and for the people who have to read the report that is not very handy. They prefer the computer name connected to the port instead of the portname.

Great plugin though,

Michael
zeki
Cacti User

Post by zeki »

bengelly wrote:Hi community,

do we really have to install php_bindings with the plugin ? sorry for the next question but what is it for anyway ?

Thanks
i tried it without the php_bindings and it works
bengelly
Cacti User

Post by bengelly »

Hi,

yes zeki, I agree... I managed to make it work without PHP_BINDINGS...

Thanks
browniebraun
Developer

A little sign of life

Post by browniebraun »

Good morning Cacti community!

after my short vacation (with sunshine (40%) 8) and rain (60%) :( ) I've started working again last week.
But at first I've to congratulate the cacti developers: I like the new forum's layout and I appreciate the link to the documentation.
At the moment I'm really absorbed in the development of V0.4, so that I want you to know that I don't forget about you. Maybe, it's first beta test can start at the end of next week. Hopefully! So, do not nail me down on this date, please. :wink:

Best regards
-Andreas-

No! In this case use the standard setting "RRDTOOL Cacti(slow)". Under Unix/Linux it's possible to use a faster connectivity to the RRDtool by using the php_bindings.

i was wondering if you can add total in and total out and add them for total in+out to be displayed in reports. i've been looking for this and i think i haven't seen this done yet. i've been looking all over
I think the final version of 0.4 will support this, because you'll be able to define your own measurands and v0.4 will support a calculation with intermediate results.

Is it possible to change the names of the datasources. Now we only have the interface name (not even the alias) and for the people who have to read the report that is not very handy. They prefer the computer name connected to the port instead of the portname.
I'll keep it in my mind to decide upon it later.
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
browniebraun
Developer

reportit v0.4.0 alpha

Post by browniebraun »

Download has been removed (05/22/07).

Good morning Cacti Community!

Sorry, I was not able to finish v0.4 till now and so I've just decided to release an alpha version for all these guys which are "keen" to try it out.

It's excutable, but there are some issues and some units are missing or not functionally (e.g. the debugger). I'll have to clean up this during the next weeks.
So, you'll be able to get an impression about the flexibility I've tried to implement and why this takes so long.
The new template configurator allows to define customizable variables and measurands. Now we are at this point where it'll be able to create reports about everything else. For example I've made reports about the number of users, number of processes ...
I've also started to increase validation and security. For example there's a little function to protect against XSS and user rights will be checked before opening the report configurator and, and, and .....

As pronounced some posts ago the table structure of v0.4 is not the same. So, you should only play with this alpa version on development machines after a complete uninstalling of previous versions.

Best regards and happy easter!
-Andreas-

PS: Now we've 4 o'clock in the morning and I'll have to prepare "egg hunting". :D
Attachments
measurands.PNG
measurands.PNG (13.73 KiB) Viewed 15227 times
Last edited by browniebraun on Tue May 22, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
zeki
Cacti User

Post by zeki »

wow this is awesome. i got to mess with it a little, but i don't understand fully how to use it. i've made some test templates just to see if it works but i guess i don't have the correct measurands or variables setup correctly.

can you explain a little about the measurands and variables?
browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

Good morning Cacti community!

Sorry, that the debugger does not work after I've made some changes to the calculation module. It displays some test calculations which will make it easier to understand this.
Okay, I know that this formulas are not self-explanatory, so let me explain the principle of measurands and variables:

1. What is a measurand? A measurand is something you'll define by using a calculation formula. Its result should be a part of the reports which depend on our template.
This formula contains operands and operators.
An operand can be the result of an internal function, a constant, the value of a variable, a measurand that has been calculated before or an interim result of a measurand. An operator should be self-explanatory.

For example: We want to create a template for reporting the maximum number of processes, so that we can use something like this (Picture 1).

Than we create a new measurand called "Maximum number of processes". (Picture 2).

Really important is the abbreviation you choose for it. It's necessary to use the result of our measurand in a second one, that will be defined later.
If you want to rename it later, all other formulas which contain this abbreviation will be automatically changed too.

For explaining this measurand in a mathematically way you can use a combination of the operators and operands which will be shown in the grey box below. Using somethings else should end in a syntax error.
Okay, we want the maximum, or not?
Than the internal function f_max will be the right one. By using it, reportit searches the maximum value out of a pool of data. This are the values which results from the report configuration.
Do we need something else? No, I don't think so.
Than I should say something about the other functions until v0.4 has not been finished.

f_min => returns the lowest value
f_avg => returns the average (sum/number of values)
f_sum => returns the sum of all values (value_1 + value_2 + value_3 ....)
f_num => returns the number of values

Functions with parameters: (Here does the syntax check not correctly work at the moment!)
f_xth => returns the xth percentitle (e.g 95% -> f_xth(95)) -> absolute
f_dot => returns the duration over a threshold in percent. Requires an absolute value as parameter
f_sot => returns the sum of all values over a defined threshold -> absolute (e.g. values = 10, 7, 6 threshold = 3: f_sot(3) -> returns '14')

Variables:
maxValue => Contains the maximum bandwith if it's possible to find the snmp-value "ifspeed".
In all other cases it contains the maximum that has been defined in the date_template.

step => Contains the number of seconds between two values. ( e.g 300, 1800 ....)

Interim results:
Contains the interim results of a measurand that has been calculated before.
For example: If our report template depends on the data template "Interface Traffic" than reportit will see during the fetch, that the rrd-file contains two data-scoures. traffic_in and traffic_out. So it has to make two calculations in relation to our formula: Highest value of traffic_in and the highest value of traffic_out.
The next measurand we'll define can use these interim results to calculate something else. For example: Total traffic = Max:traffic_in + Max:traffic_out. If we use only MAX instead of Max:traffic..... reportit includes automatically the value of Max:traffic_in in the calculation of the data-source traffic_in and the same for traffic_out.

Now if we want to create a second mesurand for our example, we can use the interim results. In our case: Max:proc what is the same like MAX because my data-template has only one datasource.

2. What does "variable" mean?
Variables can be used as variables in a calculation formula of our measurand. (A litte bit senseless)
It contains the value that has been defined in the report configuration! For expamle: If somebody should be able to define a threshold in percent for his reports than we don't want to create a template for every case that will be possible (75%, 90 % ...). To use the defined value of a variable we have to use the unique internal name. Something like c123v.
At the end do not forget to unlock our template. That's a bug too. :cry:

Last but not least, I'm just working on my linux server and I've found an error in runtime.php on line number 401. (An error only occurs when we run the report calculation by using the php_binding.)

Change it
to: "if ($error = rrd_error()){"

Best regards
-Andreas-

PS: I hope I've not totally confused you with this try!
Attachments
pic1.PNG
pic1.PNG (16.67 KiB) Viewed 15124 times
pic2.PNG
pic2.PNG (15.92 KiB) Viewed 15124 times
Last edited by browniebraun on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
esprits4

Post by esprits4 »

Hello, i have a very similar issue as echelon360. Whenever i create a template, it works fine, when i go to create a report and click save, it acts like it saves it but doesnt say save successfuly or anything like that. when i go back to check on the report, nothing is there. anyone have any ideas? here are the sql tables i have:
reportit_functions
reportit_reports
reportit_rrdlist
reportit_templates
reprotit_types
reportit_variables

Thanks!