Place Your Feature Requests & Bug Reports Here

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

For all of you testing, please export your Device Types tables and publish here for the release.

Larry
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
chadd
Cacti User

Post by chadd »

Here's my device type export.
Attachments
cacti_device_type_xport.xls
(122 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

Hi,

her is my cisco expanded version:

Torsten
Attachments
cacti_device_type_xport.rar
(947 Bytes) Downloaded 342 times
gthe
Cacti User

Post by gthe »

Her is my.
Attachments
cacti_device_type_xport.rar
(930 Bytes) Downloaded 338 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

All, I have provided in tonights SVN now the ability to add remove Mac Watches and Mac Authorizations.

The polling is not complete yet, but I am out of steam for the day.

You can:
Add/Remove each

You can not:
Goto the Mac Report and Select/Pick to Authorize. I will be working on that next.

You can:
Test and let me know what you like dislike.

Note that in tonights changes, you need to run the database_upgrade script. I have added some asset tracking information and have rename/reused a field. So, make a backup first ;)

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
chadd
Cacti User

Post by chadd »

The database upgrade went well for me. I would, although, like to see a little different view on the device report page. Currently the 'Host Description' is a Title in the report. I would (personally) rather it be called 'Notes' or something, and have either the serial number, or asset tag or both in the device report view - and not the notes. Also, it would be nicer if the device decription (I use that for the actual hostname, and use the hostname for the IP address) was included in the report as well. Also a suggestion over all. It would be really cool if there was a link for an 'Advanced Search' where if you clicked it, additional search fields would appear, allowing you to search in any field in the database if you wished. Also, the column order on the device report would be better to have the 'Site Name' first, then to the left, the 'device description', 'hostname', so on..

Sorry for all the rambling.. I really appreciate all the work on this project. This is really cool, and once I get the opportunity to fully implement it here, it will be a very useful tool. I am always willing to be a guinea pig, so if you need a tester let me know. Thanks again.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Chadd,

After reading your note, my eyes are sortof crosseed. Can you mock up the field order in any way and do a screen shot. It doesn't even have to be real. I guess I'm getting burned out....

TheWitness

chadd
Cacti User

Post by chadd »

TheWitness wrote:Chadd,

After reading your note, my eyes are sortof crosseed. Can you mock up the field order in any way and do a screen shot. It doesn't even have to be real. I guess I'm getting burned out....

TheWitness
This is the best I can do right now, but I think it demonstrates what I was talking about (see attached png) - also one for the device editor:

Also, with the serial number and model number.. My idea is that folks have lots of ethernet switch stacks (we do). In a stack, there is only one IP to manager the whole stack with, but you can have multiple different models of switches stacked together. This makes one serial number per IP/hostname, quite limiting. It may be better to put that "inventory info (serial numbers model numbers, etc.. in a different table, and make the PK the identifier for the device, so that all serial numbers discovered for a stack get associated with that stack IP/Device name.

This would be nice for us, because it is difficult to get a correct inventory with all the stacks we have (it is a pain to get it in Cisco works). Although, it is easy to get the info from the command line via snmpwalk, (cisco example):

chadd@chadd-laptop:~$ snmpwalk -v 2c -c xxx 10.x.x.x .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.3.1.1.17
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.5.1.3.1.1.17.1 = STRING: "WS-C3750-24P"
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.5.1.3.1.1.17.2 = STRING: "WS-C3750-48TS"
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.5.1.3.1.1.17.3 = STRING: "WS-C3750-48TS"
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.5.1.3.1.1.17.4 = STRING: "WS-C3750-48TS"
chadd@chadd-laptop:~$

snmpwalk -v 2c -c xxx 10.x.x.x .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.3.1.1.26
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.5.1.3.1.1.26.1 = STRING: "CAT1002xxxx"
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.5.1.3.1.1.26.2 = STRING: "CAT1002xxxx"
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.5.1.3.1.1.26.3 = STRING: "CAT1002xxxx"
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.5.1.3.1.1.26.4 = STRING: "CAT1002xxxx"

If you just use the objectid on the stack, you only get the generic stack OID:

snmpgetnext -v 2c -c public 10.18.0.21 sysobjectid
SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.516

Hope this helps, and as always, thank you.
Attachments
device_report.png
device_report.png (43.44 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
mactrack_devices.png
mactrack_devices.png (42.35 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Chadd a few things:

1) I'm going to stay with "Device Name" (Not Description, already renamed it to Device Name, just missed the "report") LARRY EDIT: DONE
2) Hostname will stay that way, although I may change to Hostname/IP or something. LARRY EDIT: NO ACTION REQUIRED
3) I like the idea about "Note". That makes sense. LARRY EDIT: DONE
4) I like the idea about a separate inventory table. I agree with your point. I am thinking that if you have two methods in device type, either "walk" or "get", you can accomplish, at least with Cisco, the autodiscover. LARRY EDIT: DONE - No Asset Table Yet
5) I don't know what to say about "avanced". You design it, I will implement, time permitting. LARRY EDIT: AWAITING FEEDBACK
5) Lastly, the whole idea of displaying the Model/Serial number in the main display is blown up via the fact that there are multiple serial/model number's per device. I think it warrant's a whole new drop down report. LARRY EDIT: AWAITING FEEDBACK

TheWintess
Last edited by TheWitness on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

fabio

Correlation between ARP table and MAC table - Trace the PATH

Post by fabio »

Hi all,

I have been trying to use the plugin MacTrack to get the layer 2 MAC address tables of my switches and the ARP tables of my routers and firewalls, and I thought that the mac/ip report would correlate them getting very powerful information, but I don't know why it doesn't do it correctly. :o

Take into account that this would be really great to trace the path throught all the switching infrastructure (mac tables) until the IP gateway (arp table). :wink:

Maybe I am missing something, or the MacTrack plugin is not intended to do so, I would thank any information regarding this issue.

Thanks to all and very good work Mac-Trackers !!!

Best regards,

Fabian
lavermil

Post by lavermil »

I know version 1.0 has not been release as of yet, but is there a sql file that can be used for new installs?

Also in the new SVN release I have found what I think are errors. I find SQL errors.

Anyone else seeing this too?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Monday is a holiday here. I hope to work on MacTrack then.

TheWitness

lavermil

Post by lavermil »

Witness,

Here is the link to the other post I had about some SQL additions for the "Tracking Utilities" -> "Remove All Scan Results".

I have also updated that post to include the line which I updated for the latest SVN version.

I know there is a better way to do what I am doing, but I am still have to do some digging. Like everyone this is spare time for me. Or borried time on my employer. :-?

http://forums.cacti.net/about19724.html

LARRY EDIT: DONE
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

fabio,

In the latest SVN verson, I have added authentication information to the DEVICE. Also, I have allowed you to specify (on the device type level) a custom IP Scanning function. This will allow you to do three things:

1) Define your own ip scanning function at the device type (say PIX)
2) Supply a Userid/Password for authentication to that function (at the device level)
3) SSH to the PIX to obtain the ARP table and populate the database.

Your welcome. How ever, in return, can you please write this function? The SSH wrappers should get you out of the gate on this. What do you think?

TheWitness

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

shakey_1,

There is now a mac_track_interfaces table that contains:

Port Speed
Port Duplex

It will be updated every poll scan and will track for things such as ERROR's increasing, DISCARDS increasing, interface state changes as well. Although state changes every 30 minutes may not be interesting, it may prove beneficial to some.

I have not written an interface to this yet. So much to do, so little help.

TheWitness